Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

I disagree, I think that his views tend to concur with those people on here that have lived in Canada for a long time - there are plenty of long term posters that agree with him. They all seem to see similar negatives and positives in Canada as DBD. Of course, not everybody has the same views, but most of those that do disagree with his negative views of Canada are those that haven't lived there very long.

Personally, I find his opinions on Canada far more useful than those of somebody that has only lived there for 6 months. I consider his contribution to this forum to be considerable and think he does put his knowledge to 'positive use' i.e. helping others see both sides of living in Canada from somebody that has experienced decades there.

You do seem to have a bit of a personal vendetta against our Mr DBD though, for whatever reason?? So I think we'll have to agree to disagree and I will continue to read his posts with interest (well, sort of.......don't get a big head DBD) and perhaps you could just put him on your 'ignore' list if he irks you so?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Sorry............I didn`t think you were unduly sensitive to things like this
Is it a direct translation from Spanish? It's not idiomatic in English as nations aren't gendered. Is it a reference to Stephen Harper?

Are we now done with the idea that people intending to emigrate to Canada do, or should, "adore" it?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I disagree, I think that his views tend to concur with those people on here that have lived in Canada for a long time - there are plenty of long term posters that agree with him. They all seem to see similar negatives and positives in Canada as DBD. Of course, not everybody has the same views, but most of those that do disagree with his negative views of Canada are those that haven't lived there very long.

Personally, I find his opinions on Canada far more useful than those of somebody that has only lived there for 6 months. I consider his contribution to this forum to be considerable and think he does put his knowledge to 'positive use' i.e. helping others see both sides of living in Canada from somebody that has experienced decades there.

Why thank you. Perhaps this would be a good moment to point out that I myself live in a field. A field in Canada though not especially a Canadian field.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

You do seem to have a bit of a personal vendetta against our Mr DBD though, for whatever reason?? So I think we'll have to agree to disagree and I will continue to read his posts with interest (well, sort of.......don't get a big head DBD) and perhaps you could just put him on your 'ignore' list if he irks you so?
A lot of people that have lived a long time in a country start to see the negatives whenever they can and constantly compare it to any past good times etc. Look at the negative reviews that British born people give about the UK on this forum!!! And these are people that have lived there for a long time. Do you feel all of the negative reviews they give about the UK really justify what life is really like in the UK? And on that principal you should ask yourself just how accurate DBD is with his opinions about Canada as well? Also remember he makes sweeping comparisons between the two countries as well. Something that is actually quite difficult to do accurately when he hasn`t lived in one of these countries for like 25 years

Personal vendetta against DBD!!! Far from it.......Just wipe away all his rough edges and I imagine you got yourself one hell of a swell guy
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it a direct translation from Spanish? It's not idiomatic in English as nations aren't gendered. Is it a reference to Stephen Harper?

Are we now done with the idea that people intending to emigrate to Canada do, or should, "adore" it?
Direct translation? No, its just one of your lines some several pages back.

I was done with it some pages back but as usual you just trawelled the thread out before exhausting it.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

he hasn`t lived in one of these countries for like 25 years
I feel well enough equipped to argue with someone who lives in neither.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Direct translation? No, its just one of your lines some several pages back.
Which post?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:18 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I feel well enough equipped to argue with someone who lives in neither.
But have lived in the UK for the best part of 8 years and so this qualifies me better than someone who hasn`t lived there in a quarter of a century. Also my time there was only several years ago and not 25 years ago.
Weirdo Latin Dude

Which post?
post 46
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people that have lived a long time in a country start to see the negatives whenever they can and constantly compare it to any past good times etc. Look at the negative reviews that British born people give about the UK on this forum!!! And these are people that have lived there for a long time. Do you feel all of the negative reviews they give about the UK really justify what life is really like in the UK? And on that principal you should ask yourself just how accurate DBD is with his opinions about Canada as well? Also remember he makes sweeping comparisons between the two countries as well. Something that is actually quite difficult to do accurately when he hasn`t lived in one of these countries for like 25 years

Personal vendetta against DBD!!! Far from it.......Just wipe away all his rough edges and I imagine you got yourself one hell of a swell guy
I used to feel similar things about DBD he has always been very abrupt with his comments and I just used to think of him as a bitter person.

Then i moved here and month after month I find myself agreeing with him more and more.

You need to remember that you are posting about a country that you have little to no experience of whereas DBD has lived here for 25 years!!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
thats not immigrating though is it! its simply going to work in a foreign country and entirely different from applying for PR there is just no comparison whatsoever
I'm sorry but of course it compares.

A TWP is the start to PR for most of us now because of " THE LIST ".

All the work still has to be done. Family upheavels etc.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

post 46

I asked what you meant by "lets rub Canada`s dick in the dirt today type attitude". You pointed me to an entry that says you post a load of bollocks. QED, innit?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:26 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by livermanl
I used to feel similar things about DBD he has always been very abrupt with his comments and I just used to think of him as a bitter person.

Then i moved here and month after month I find myself agreeing with him more and more.

You need to remember that you are posting about a country that you have little to no experience of whereas DBD has lived here for 25 years!!!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and this is the guy that used to hear racial and gays slurs on the train to London everyday. mmmmmmmmmm your opinion is indeed noted
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you? And if there is a place in Canada that has warm weather for much of the year please inform me?
Yes, it's Florida. Commonly jokingly referred to as Canada's 11th Province even by some Florida media.

If the potential emigrant considers the US, Australia and Canada and rejects the US as a possibility due to not being able to get a visa and Australia as a possibility because it's too hot and then settles on Canada, the emigrant can hardly be said to have emigated for adoration of Canada.

Like most emigrants that person will just have decided that Canada looks alright really.
Like nearly everything in life, where you live is a series of compromises unless money is no object. I'd guess even the traders on the TSX or LSE are a little less likely to spend large at the moment.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:28 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I asked what you meant by "lets rub Canada`s dick in the dirt today type attitude". You pointed me to an entry that says you post a load of bollocks. QED, innit?
wouldn`t of have thought that would need too much explaining, you do it on here on a regualar basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.