Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Disagree though, with the fact that emigrating for adoration is a rare thing, as a lot of people do emigrate for principally THIS REASON. If they feel they can make it economically in another country, the lifestyle and culture are acceptable and language is not an issue, then they quite often make the choice to go to a country that they have some kind of affection for. If you look on this forum Canada, USA and Australia all score very highly on this and many would have gone there or want to go there out of choice. All score very highly on the previous points and the only really differing factor here that I can think of immediately is probably climate. If a person wants a warm climate they are hardly going to choose Canada. The USA on the other hand offers them climate choice but not the freedom for PR which is why both CAN and AUS will remain location favorites for immigrants around the world.
If the potential emigrant considers the US, Australia and Canada and rejects the US as a possibility due to not being able to get a visa and Australia as a possibility because it's too hot and then settles on Canada, the emigrant can hardly be said to have emigated for adoration of Canada.

Like most emigrants that person will just have decided that Canada looks alright really.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
if you dont love it already then why take the risk??? or do you have no choice???and twp is not the only way????????
I fail to see what there is to love about Canada, or anywhere else, for someone who lives in a rural setting. I can see loving the cafes of Paris, the pubs of London, the theatres of New York but a field is a field. So long as one wants to live in a field, how is that field better for being in Canada as opposed to being in, for example, Vermont, Wales or Ireland? Is it just that fields are cheaper in Canada?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sarah_matt
One thing that annoys me is all the bad things people are saying about the UK. Yes we have moved to Canada, but we have no trouble in moving back to the UK. Its a great place with a great location for traveling to Europe etc. One thing I have found living in NS is that most Canadians ask why Canada espically NS because there is nothing to do here. Most of them think that the UK is a really good and find it strange when negative things are said about the place. Over here they have Canada Day Celebrate there country, in England we seem to just like to down ourselves instead of celebrating our country and all the great things about it. So if you don't get to Canada, think on this, Tens of thousand of people leave England but in a year or so alot of them come back. Rule Brittannia!! God save the Queen.
Well UK is UK and Canada is Canada,

Personally UK is ok is just that i want to experience something different but UK has given us all the platform to say good and bad things about it.....

Never say never? we never know...

Good luck all
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What pain, stress and trauma? You're forgetting that those of us that are leaving on a 'temp basis purely for work' don't have any pain, stress or trauma as somebody else arranges everything.

We have no lengthy application process for PR and no LMO to apply for, unlike most people on here. Simply a two page form for a TWP.

All of our packing, pet passports & transport, house rental etc is being done for us. Even accommodation, schools and cars are being sorted for our arrival. My only job is to throw a few clothes in a suitcase just before we leave - hardly stressful or likely to put me off a great career opportunity for my husband.

I agree with that point but not everyone gets that treatment i'm afraid and until you do the whole immigration process you wont know how stressful it is!!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:05 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If the potential emigrant considers the US, Australia and Canada and rejects the US as a possibility due to not being able to get a visa and Australia as a possibility because it's too hot and then settles on Canada, the emigrant can hardly be said to have emigated for adoration of Canada.

Like most emigrants that person will just have decided that Canada looks alright really.
That would ONLY be the case if Canada were the third choice for the potential immigrant from the outset. Also if one felt strongly over climate there is a strong possibilty that either Canada or Australia may well have been rejected on this concept leaving the other as a chosen destination. Personally speaking, Canada is my second choice but a very good second choice at that. I think the average person would consider USA/Canada immigration as one possibility and Australia/NZ as another simply for the fact that they are very far apart geographically if not culturally.

Based on the number of immigrants that are waiting in line to go to Canada some 900.000 odd and counting. I hardly think most view Canada as just a bit of alright More like wow!!! We really can`t wait to start our Canadian adventure and do something new and interesting in our lives just a pity though, that many have to wait in a loooooong line that we may never see the end of. I really don`t see many potential PR`s on here viewing Canada as some average location more like their desired location. Those that are going on TWP`s etc may well have a different concept of this because they are going primarily for work reasons whether by choice or sent by their companies etc.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Based on the number of immigrants that are waiting in line to go to Canada some 900.000 odd and counting. I hardly think most view Canada as just a bit of alright More like wow!!! We really can`t wait to start our Canadian adventure and do something new and interesting in our lives just a pity though, that many have to wait in a loooooong line that we may never see the end of. I really don`t see many potential PR`s on here viewing Canada as some average location more like their desired location.
I imagine most immigrants would sooner go to the US. Very many of the Indians I work with in the US have applied for, or obtained, PR in Canada as a hedge against not getting their H1Bs renewed. Just a fortnight ago we had dinner with a guy who drove up to "land" in Canada, stayed the night and went back to the US. He'll only move here if and when he runs out of US visa options.

Most immigrants to Canada come from Asia, I think they come for money, they certainly can't be coming for the climate.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Sod Oboma

Rich-007 for president !!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:29 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine most immigrants would sooner go to the US. Very many of the Indians I work with in the US have applied for, or obtained, PR in Canada as a hedge against not getting their H1Bs renewed. Just a fortnight ago we had dinner with a guy who drove up to "land" in Canada, stayed the night and went back to the US. He'll only move here if and when he runs out of US visa options.

Most immigrants to Canada come from Asia, I think they come for money, they certainly can't be coming for the climate.
Like most potential immigrants USA would be my first choice as well but Canada as I have said, for me is still a very good second choice. By living in Canada, I certainly would not see it as some type of stepping stone to the USA (if indeed that is still possible) and would be contented to only travel to the USA for holidays and visits etc.

Asian, African and Latin immigrants will go wherever they can get into and climate is usually the last thing on their agendas. Luxuries such as climate and lifestyle are really only for comfortable Europeans etc. or Asians and Africans that have made it. These are the immigrants that have the option to pick and choose. As for the other third world immigrants well its stuff like security and money for themselves and their families and very little else. Most of the aforementioned countries along with the EU can provide this for them, even at the high expense of employers in these countries exploiting them on a regular basis.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Like most potential immigrants USA would be my first choice as well but Canada as I have said, for me is still a very good second choice. By living in Canada, I certainly would not see it as some type of stepping stone to the USA (if indeed that is still possible) and would be contented to only travel to the USA for holidays and visits etc.

Asian, African and Latin immigrants will go wherever they can get into and climate is usually the last thing on their agendas. Luxuries such as climate and lifestyle are really only for comfortable Europeans etc. or Asians and Africans that have made it. These are the immigrants that have the option to pick and choose. As for the other third world immigrants well its stuff like security and money for themselves and their families and very little else. Most of the aforementioned countries along with the EU can provide this for them, even at the high expense of employers in these countries exploiting them on a regular basis.

So, "adoration", not a factor.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:47 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hot!!! it's bloody freezing. It does get cold in OZ you know:lol:
And wet...did you know Perth gets more annual rainfall than London (google it) and it has been crap weather (cold and wet) here from March till the beggining of October.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see what there is to love about Canada, or anywhere else, for someone who lives in a rural setting. I can see loving the cafes of Paris, the pubs of London, the theatres of New York but a field is a field. So long as one wants to live in a field, how is that field better for being in Canada as opposed to being in, for example, Vermont, Wales or Ireland? Is it just that fields are cheaper in Canada?
this has to be one of the the most amusing posts for a very long time

buildings and crowds hold no attraction for me anymore they did many years ago when I was younger.

most people find different things at different life stages that give them pleasure

are you a young thing dbd3?

you just might find that once you have lived the city commercial life one day the beauty of the natural world will become more important along with the peace and safety that comes with it

my idea of paradise is hearing no cars, hearing no people, and hearing only the sounds of nature not for everyone but definilty for me

pubs cant stand em I owned one and that was enough for me
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

So, "adoration", not a factor.
Well i adore the country and province that i have chosen to spend my days in!!!

It was the biggest factor for us when we decided to move here. certainly not the economics of it.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

are you a young thing dbd3?
I like to think of myself as a thrusting youth.

my idea of paradise is hearing no cars, hearing no people, and hearing only the sounds of nature
Something which has no Canadian connection at all. Birds sing in Ireland. Coyotes yip in America. Sheep bleat in Wales.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by deanjp32

It was the biggest factor for us when we decided to move here. certainly not the economics of it.
Very nice for you but not a prerequisite for moving nor, I suggest, common.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanjp32

could not agree more! and huge luck to you and yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.