Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Have you? And if there is a place in Canada that has warm weather for much of the year please inform me?
How do you know it is one of the best countries in the world to live

You have never lived there but you still like to spout your 'wisdom' to would be migrants.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:08 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
How do you know it is one of the best countries in the world to live

You have never lived there but you still like to spout your 'wisdom' to would be migrants.
I am sure they don`t need my wisdom to make up their minds. They are all consenting adults you know!!!! Instead of reading my stuff why don`t you look at the many posts by people on the Canadian forum and it may surprise you that the majority are enjoying their new lives in Canada.

I find it rather strange that somebody who I believe lives in Australia (if not correct me) would be so concerned by me "spouting out my wisdom" I suggest you jump on a surf board and go and chill out. Saying that though is must be mighty hot there right now:curse:
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
thats not immigrating though is it! its simply going to work in a foreign country and entirely different from applying for PR there is just no comparison whatsoever
How is there no comparison? Can you explain the difference to me because I sure as hell can't see it!! We are doing the same as anybody else on this forum who is intending to move permanently (i.e. leaving our home, our friends and our family, selling cars, moving to another country with all of our worldly possessions, children and pets, and setting up home there).

I don't see how on earth we're any different from anybody else on this forum - we're all going through exactly the same process to get there, whatever our reasons. And although we don't intend to stay in Canada forever (although as I've always said, we'll never say never), our children will go to school there, we will pay taxes, my husband will contribute to the country, we will try and integrate with the community and settle as much as we can. So what's the difference between us and anybody else?

Nowhere on any definition of immigration or emigration have I found something that says it only applies to permanent situations. As far as I'm concerned, we are still emigrating.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2008 at 11:03 am.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I am sure they don`t need my wisdom to make up their minds. They are all consenting adults you know!!!! Instead of reading my stuff why don`t you look at the many posts by people on the Canadian forum and it may surprise you that the majority are enjoying their new lives in Canada.

I find it rather strange that somebody who I believe lives in Australia (if not correct me) would be so concerned by me "spouting out my wisdom" I suggest you jump on a surf board and go and chill out. Saying that though is must be mighty hot there right now:curse:
Hot!!! it's bloody freezing. It does get cold in OZ you know
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:15 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How is there no comparison? Can you explain the difference to me because I sure as hell can't see it!! We are going through exactly the same processes as anybody else on this forum who is intending to move permanently (i.e. leaving our home, our friends and our family, selling cars, moving to another country with all of our worldly possessions, children and pets, and setting up home and trying to integrate there) have no stress or hassle.

I don't see how on earth we're any different from anybody else on this forum though as we're all doing exactly the same thing to get there. And although we don't intend to stay in Canada forever (although as I've always said, we'll never say never), our children will go to school there, we will pay taxes, my husband will significantly contribute to the country, we will try and integrate with the community and settle as much as we can. So what's the difference between us and anybody else?

Nowhere on any definition of immigration or emigration have I found something that says it only applies to permanent situations. As far as I'm concerned, we are still emigrating.

Think you will find that moving is one of the most stressful things one can do, moving to another country has even higher stress values as well. Settling into your new country or location even if you like it is still stressful, so totally disagree with what you just said. Add all the hassle of the Canadian immigration procedure into this and it is rather a stressful experience for the many people involved.

You make the whole process sound as easy as clicking your fingers. Maybe if one is a millionaire this may be the case.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Think you will find that moving is one of the most stressful things one can do, moving to another country has even higher stress values as well. Settling into your new country or location even if you like it is still stressful, so totally disagree with what you just said. Add all the hassle of the Canadian immigration procedure into this and it is rather a stressful experience for the many people involved.

You make the whole process sound as easy as clicking your fingers. Maybe if one is a millionaire this may be the case.
You've clearly missed my point.

What I was trying to understand is why Chumley can say we are 'just going to work in a foreign country' and are 'entirely different from applying for PR' - I want to know how exactly he thinks it's different? We're going through the same 'family moving countries' process as anybody going via PR (and as you said, we will find 'settling into your new country or location' as stressful as anybody else - possibly more so because we don't love it already).

Granted, we don't have the stress of the 'hassle of the Canadian immigration procedure' that you mentioned, but nobody going via a TWP does. And bearing in mind the majority of people on this forum are now going to Canada via a TWP as it's one of the only ways to get there, I fail to see how we are different from them.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2008 at 10:58 am.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:23 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hot!!! it's bloody freezing. It does get cold in OZ you know
Aren`t you in your summer there? Perth I remember was sweltering when I went there this time of year!!! Where are you referring to in Australia being cold right now? When I mention cold weather I hardly think its a fair comparison to compare the coldness of Canada to the coldness of an Australian winter.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Aren`t you in your summer there? Perth I remember was sweltering when I went there this time of year!!! Where are you referring to in Australia being cold right now? When I mention cold weather I hardly think its a fair comparison to compare the coldness of Canada to the coldness of an Australian winter.
Yes i am in Perth and for November it is cold....strange weather at the moment. We are having winter weather in spring. Plus heavy rain and wind, brrrr. Temps drop 2c at night, with no central heating it feels like i live in a cave.
But it will get warmer, just very cold now.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;6938728]You've clearly missed my point.

What I was trying to understand is why Chumley can say we are 'just going to work in a foreign country' and are 'entirely different from applying for PR' - I want to know how exactly he thinks it's different? We're going through the same 'family moving countries' process as anybody going via PR (and as you said, we will find 'settling into your new country of location' as stressful as anybody else - possibly more so because we don't love it already).

Granted, we don't have the stress of the 'hassle of the Canadian immigration procedure' that you mentioned, but nobody going via a TWP does. And bearing in mind the majority of people on this forum are now going to Canada via a TWP as it's the only way to get there, I fail to see how we are different from them.

if you dont love it already then why take the risk??? or do you have no choice???and twp is not the only way????????
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:28 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That was my point!! You've clearly missed it.

What I was trying to understand is why Chumley can say we are 'just going to work in a foreign country' and we are 'entirely different from applying for PR' - I want to know how exactly he thinks it's different as we're going through the same process as anybody going via PR (and as you said, will find 'settling into your new country of location' as stressful as anybody else - possibly more so because we don't love it already).

Granted, we don't have the stress of the 'hassle of the Canadian immigration procedure' that you mentioned, but nobody going via a TWP does. And bearing in mind the majority of people on this forum are now going to Canada via a TWP as it's the only way to get there, I fail to see how we are different from them.

Based on what you have written now, then there is really no real difference. May well be even more difficult for you as well because your decision is not being based on PR and your situation may well just be a temporary scenario. You may also have all the hassle of moving back again one day as well to contend with.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Based on what you have written now, then there is really no real difference.
Exactly. Glad you understood my point, we're no different to anybody else on this forum and are going through the same process, we just have different motives that's all.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chumley
if you dont love it already then why take the risk??? or do you have no choice???and twp is not the only way????????
We are moving because my husband is being transferred with work.

Granted, we could not go but if he then turns down this opportunity, he is incredibly unlikely to ever be offered another one again and will have no way of progressing in his career. In his particular field, international experience is essential if you want to get anywhere. His company have offered him what is in essence a huge promotion - how would it look if he said no to it? They'd never bother again.

Obviously if we really didn't want to go then we wouldn't but I have nothing against Canada (it's not somewhere I love but not somewhere I hate either) and it will be a good opportunity to experience life abroad for a few years, and for our children to learn French and to ski more than once a year as they do now. Canada is a lot better than some of the places he could have been sent! It's just not somewhere that I have a burning passion or love for, which you seem to think everybody emigrating there must have.

And yes, TWP is not the only way but I said the majority of people are having to go via a TWP now the rules have changed - obviously there are those that are applying under spousal or family sponsorship or the NS CIS, but they are in the minority.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2008 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:37 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Yes i am in Perth and for November it is cold....strange weather at the moment. We are having winter weather in spring. Plus heavy rain and wind, brrrr. Temps drop 2c at night, with no central heating it feels like i live in a cave.
But it will get warmer, just very cold now.
Personally I hate the hot weather unless it is for holidays etc. If I knew that Perth for example was like how you describe for much of the year I would actually think about moving there. Reason is regardless of what some people think on this forum, I found Perth to be a great place to live and I also love the city. Also the negative attitude that certain people have put forth on this forum toward Aussies, I also have found to be totally inaccurate, I have always found them to be among the most easy going of all the English speaking peoples
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Personally I hate the hot weather unless it is for holidays etc. If I knew that Perth for example was like how you describe for much of the year I would actually think about moving there. Reason is regardless of what some people think on this forum, I found Perth to be a great place to live and I also love the city. Also the negative attitude that certain people have put forth on this forum toward Aussies, I also have found to be totally inaccurate, I have always found them to be among the most easy going of all the English speaking peoples
When it gets hot, it gets hot 45c last Xmas, just horrible. Hate all the damn flies too, they spoil it more than anything. But it is cold in winter.

I have no probs with any Aussies, but the driving here stinks.

Anyway i'm off back to UK, done my time here.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:45 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

When it gets hot, it gets hot 45c last Xmas, just horrible. Hate all the damn flies too, they spoil it more than anything. But it is cold in winter.

I have no probs with any Aussies, but the driving here stinks.

Anyway i'm off back to UK, done my time here.
Where I live it gets to 40c and over in the summer months and its like this every day!!! for like over 2 months and its disgusting!!!!!!!!!!! Like where you are its cold here in winter especially in the mornings and evenings but usually sunny in the days and can get quite hot in winter when the sun is out. So its either hot or cold with not much else in between. People often criticize the British weather but at least the 4 seasons are hidden in there somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.