Reload this Page >

Don't know what to do now?

Don't know what to do now?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Macbarflan is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Don't know what to do now?

Feeling very disappointed!!

We flew over to Halifax in March as I had a few prospective employers to see and we'd been thinking about moving for 7 years, I was offered a position and took the offer up. 8 long months of waiting and it looks like my LMO is never coming. Apparently the way things are done have changed and unknown to the employer they should have advetised the position in 3 seperate places, which service Canada told them about last week, so the position needs to be readvertised!!! I have phoned every 6 weeks ish and been assured that it was fine the government were slow nothing happens over the summer, to find this out is sickening. I contacted an immigration lawyer who told me the LMO should have taken around 3 weeks..........so confused. The employer has many british workers and has applied lots of times for an LMO.

Have a phone consultation with the lawyer tonight to see what to do now. So anyone out there looking for an early childhood educator willing to apply for an LMO for me, give me a shout.

so fed up and feeling sorry for myself. Should I give up?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't know what to do now?

Dont give up, not after 7 years of trying!

The LMO will get sorted, its just going to take a little longer. Its a shame the employer didnt know the procedure had changed.

I suppose the danger is that after waiting so long expectations about a place build to the point that its never going to live up to them, so maybe its a good exercise to make a list of the pros and cons and have a think about what you really want to achieve.

Also, dont underestimate culture shock, the honeymoon period is maybe coming to an end and reality is intruding, and the screw up with the work permit is not going to be helping any with that...

Stick it out a bit longer and look for the positives.... Good Luck!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I/we appreciate it. We're not giving up just feel like it and venting I suppose. Paul Wildy was telling us about the new skilled worker stream which we can apply for in January, so i think we're going to go for that whilst waiting on the LMO so we're covered either way, we'll no better tonight when we speak with him.

Its ultimately what we want and know the rose coloured glasses have come off, its the kids I feel it for as they keep asking, our lifes on hold. I keep saying that I feel like we're in a coma......we can't really plan stuff here long term when our long term is somewhere else if you know what I mean. I think we put all our eggs in the one basket, well thats a mistake we won't make twice.

The waiting and next step continues........!!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

msocmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been in a similar situation but we had the LMO and TWP in our hands the start date of the employment was deferred then eventually the offer was rescinded - the long and short of it is I would definitely advise you go for PR it seems that the LMO/TWP route is not being very fruitful for many people at the moment and knowing the heartache and disappointment when it doesn't come off at least with PR you can get work with any employer instead of being stuck with just the one.

I know a few people who have been made redundant and only had an LMO and are now back in the UK. Others are still in Canada but living off savings waiting for PR and unable to work.

Frustrating is not the word but I would very strongly suggest getting PR so you have a safety net (as an aside though I wouldn't waste money on a consultant but that is just my opinion).

Good luck with it and I hope your LMO comes through soon
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience, we are bitterly disappointed about everything, and are now going for PR first although time is an issue for us, but I suppose we have waited this long whats another year.