British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   dont apply for pr unless you are 110% sure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/dont-apply-pr-unless-you-110%25-sure-558817/)

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 5:53 pm

dont apply for pr unless you are 110% sure

this is simply a warning for those who are not yet applying for PR to canada but are considering it.
we applyed and sent off fees and through a couple of reasons we decided to withdraw and change our sights to aus.
it took a lot of faxes and phone calls to actually withdraw and when we did we heard nothing about it for two months. we have just recieved a letter today that tells us we have officially been withdrawn and our fees will be returned. it also says our fees will take up to four months to be retured to us.

so it will be between 5-6 months since we withdrew befoe we get our £1000+ back.

yes we made a mistake in applying so quickly but i wish someone would have told me this story b4 i sent money off.
i have nothing against canada, its shame it never worked out and i am not saying anyone should not apply. please please only do it if you are willing to go the whole hog and bear in mind if something happens that alters your plans, (job loss, bereavment etc) be prepared to wait a long long to for 1/ anyone to communicate with you and 2/ getting your fees back.

all the best to everyone who is heading to canada or aus.

Tim Steer Sep 1st 2008 6:27 pm

Re: dont apply for pr unless you are 110% sure

Well thanks for that...I would really hope that people applying to emigrate to Canada would be 110% sure anyway..Leaving your friends, family and career in search of a better quality is life is not a decision that anyone should take lightly...We certainly didn't.
The one thing that is a shame is that some people don't seem to have all the information or research fully before they apply...Fortunately we had done our research, however I only came across this site about 18 months into the process. Hasn't changed anything for us but it is a shame that visiting and researching on this site isn't a prerequisite for applying...Shed loads of very helpful and informative data and people here:thumbsup:
Cheers
Tim

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 6:32 pm

to be honest we did do a shed load of research, on the net, books and on this site. we never found anything that told us that if we withdrew it would be so difficult and we would have our money tied up fro over six months, (cant be bothered to calculate interest lost).
that is why i posted this, because i have not heard this info anywhere else. i am sure the high commision would not want it known that if you withdrew it would lead to these complications.

now at least people can not say they have not been warned

val50 Sep 1st 2008 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Steer (Post 6738150)
Well thanks for that...I would really hope that people applying to emigrate to Canada would be 110% sure anyway..Leaving your friends, family and career in search of a better quality is life is not a decision that anyone should take lightly...We certainly didn't.
The one thing that is a shame is that some people don't seem to have all the information or research fully before they apply...Fortunately we had done our research, however I only came across this site about 18 months into the process. Hasn't changed anything for us but it is a shame that visiting and researching on this site isn't a prerequisite for applying...Shed loads of very helpful and informative data and people here:thumbsup:
Cheers
Tim

I think this is a bit unfair. The OP doesn't say anything about not doing their homework etc. or taking the decision lightly. Circumstances change all the time, even more so if you are waiting years for the immigration process to take it's course. It also costs a lot of money for many people, and my impression is they are just trying to warn people of the delay in getting this refunded if circumstances change and you can no longer proceed with your application.

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 6:36 pm

thankyou val50, that is exactly why i started the post

nikki dreaming Sep 1st 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 6738173)
I think this is a bit unfair. The OP doesn't say anything about not doing their homework etc. or taking the decision lightly. Circumstances change all the time, even more so if you are waiting years for the immigration process to take it's course. It also costs a lot of money for many people, and my impression is they are just trying to warn people of the delay in getting this refunded if circumstances change and you can no longer proceed with your application.

Appreciate what you are saying Val, however there is a bit of history with some previous posts the OP has made, although this one is informative:thumbup:

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 6:42 pm

although i am sure this thread will soon be ended by you nikki, what have my other posts got to do with this one? they were just as informative as this one. i agree with the poster that htis site is chocker full of valuble info and a great source for answers, but it is also seems to have so many people who feel the need to comment on posts in some sort of superior moral authority. my other posts basically turned into a slanging match between me and several others who could not hear a bad thing about canada. please dont leave a post about me that makes me look like a child. i am sure val is well aware of how to look at my other posts and form her own opinion

val50 Sep 1st 2008 6:42 pm

.however there is a bit of history with some previous posts the OP has made, .

not sure of the relevance of this to the OP - as you say it is informative and might be of interest to others if a similar problem happens.

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 6:44 pm

thanks again val, great to see a moderator who is level headed and can appriciate the nature of the post

thanks

Tim Steer Sep 1st 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 6738173)

Hi Val - I have not meant to be unfair, that is not my way - I have read a post that is titled "dont apply for pr unless you are 110% sure" and have responded to that in terms of the difficult decision making process that we went through before making our decision thats all...
If your circumstances change and you need to pull out then that is sad and I feel for anyone in that situation - But that has got nothing to do with being "110% sure before applying"...Thats the only point I am trying to make so I hope that makes sense:) We have been in the queue now for 2 years so we know how it feels.
Kind regards:)
Tim

derekgoforth Sep 1st 2008 6:53 pm

fair point, perhaps the title was a little off the issue

val50 Sep 1st 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Steer (Post 6738217)
Hi Val - I have not meant to be unfair, that is not my way - I have read a post that is titled "dont apply for pr unless you are 110% sure" and have responded to that in terms of the difficult decision making process that we went through before making our decision thats all...
If your circumstances change and you need to pull out then that is sad and I feel for anyone in that situation - But that has got nothing to do with being "110% sure before applying"...Thats the only point I am trying to make so I hope that makes sense:) We have been in the queue now for 2 years so we know how it feels.
Kind regards:)
Tim

Thanks Tim, hopefully the post can get back on track now - I just felt your response didn't quite do justice to what the OP was trying to say.
I'm not a moderator on the Canada forum, just live in Nova Scotia for part of the year, have PR, which is why I have an interest here. Unfortunately thread titles don't always do justice to their content, especially when they are emotive. I know I've been guilty of that on a few occassions:o

nikki dreaming Sep 1st 2008 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by derekgoforth (Post 6738205)
although i am sure this thread will soon be ended by you nikki, what have my other posts got to do with this one? they were just as informative as this one. i agree with the poster that htis site is chocker full of valuble info and a great source for answers, but it is also seems to have so many people who feel the need to comment on posts in some sort of superior moral authority. my other posts basically turned into a slanging match between me and several others who could not hear a bad thing about canada. please dont leave a post about me that makes me look like a child. i am sure val is well aware of how to look at my other posts and form her own opinion

Apologies, I did not intend for this, I do sincerely hope that things work out well for you in Aus.:)

Tim Steer Sep 1st 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 6738243)
Thanks Tim, hopefully the post can get back on track now - I just felt your response didn't quite do justice to what the OP was trying to say.
I'm not a moderator on the Canada forum, just live in Nova Scotia for part of the year, have PR, which is why I have an interest here. Unfortunately thread titles don't always do justice to their content, especially when they are emotive. I know I've been guilty of that on a few occassions:o

Hi Val,
Am glad we resolved that...I think it is easy for us all to forget that we each have our own personal experiences and respond and react to them in different ways which is difficult for others to understand...I know I am certainly guilty of that..:o
As the OP has agreed, the title of this thread is somewhat misleading and I also put my hands up to feeling a bit defensive as his previous posts have been particularly abusive and rude about the Canadian embassy and about individuals who have posted in his threads who share a different opinion, which is what I believe Nikki is referring too.
I don't wan't this thread to drop to that level but I just wanted to clear the air with this post and will leave the thread to run it' s course.
It is a shame that things didn't work out for the OP re Canada and I also wish him luck in his move to Aus:thumbsup:.
Best regards
Tim

JTM73 Sep 2nd 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by derekgoforth (Post 6738016)
this is simply a warning for those who are not yet applying for PR to canada but are considering it.
we applyed and sent off fees and through a couple of reasons we decided to withdraw and change our sights to aus.
it took a lot of faxes and phone calls to actually withdraw and when we did we heard nothing about it for two months. we have just recieved a letter today that tells us we have officially been withdrawn and our fees will be returned. it also says our fees will take up to four months to be retured to us.

so it will be between 5-6 months since we withdrew befoe we get our £1000+ back.

yes we made a mistake in applying so quickly but i wish someone would have told me this story b4 i sent money off.
i have nothing against canada, its shame it never worked out and i am not saying anyone should not apply. please please only do it if you are willing to go the whole hog and bear in mind if something happens that alters your plans, (job loss, bereavment etc) be prepared to wait a long long to for 1/ anyone to communicate with you and 2/ getting your fees back.

all the best to everyone who is heading to canada or aus.

Thank you for the warning; this is very useful. I have a friend in the situation where they're trying to decide whether to put their PR application in now, or wait until after they've made a recce visit. They're leaning towards making an application now, based on getting their money back easily if they make the trip and decide against it, so your experience may change their minds!