Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Doggy advice needed

Doggy advice needed

Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:36 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Doggy advice needed

Originally Posted by gloveman
Oh I wish we were going to get bunnies and deer - we have been told we can expect the odd bear but luckily cougar are a bit of a rarity! But the present owner kindly reassured us that it is okay to shoot on the property
Bears and cougars are around, however they really are not a great threat to the average dog. Coyotes are!! If you have small dogs and particularly if you live out of town, do be aware that coyotes are very dangerous to your dogs. I have 3 large dogs who have all had run-ins with coyotes/brush wolves......so much so, that we had to destroy the Alpha as he was coming right up to our house......
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:03 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Bears and cougars are around, however they really are not a great threat to the average dog. Coyotes are!! If you have small dogs and particularly if you live out of town, do be aware that coyotes are very dangerous to your dogs. I have 3 large dogs who have all had run-ins with coyotes/brush wolves......so much so, that we had to destroy the Alpha as he was coming right up to our house......
I have been having nightmares about bears getting me not the dogs (truly I have) . Now I don't think I am even going to be able to get to sleep. We will be living in a 'rural' area on Vancouver Island - are there coyotes there? (sensible answer is simply to say no ) Angela
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Covenant
apologies for piggybacking onto this thread, but does anyone know what injections uk dogs will require when reaching Canada?

I know heartworm is a problem in the US, but any others? also, what certificatesof innoculations are required to allow one to import a dog into canada?

Many thanks (and apologies to the OP for butting in )
Our doggies have had to have rabies jab. Dogs must also be microchipped and have a fit to fly certificate just before they go. If they don't have the rabies jab before they go they will have to have it as soon as they get there (at the airport I think) Angela
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs don't need to be microchipped or rabies vaccinated or anything at all to get into Canada (if they've been in the UK since birth or for the last 6mths).

See here for Canada's dog import requirements - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_2e.shtml - be sure to read the footnote which says neither 1) nor 2) is actually required.

You'll need a fitness to fly letter for your airline (covers them in case anything happens) but often they forget to ask for it. Just to make you feel good about the high fee you paid to get it in the first place

Edit: there is no vet at the airport, just a customs inspector, who doesn't really inspect, just glances in the crate in my experience I assume a vet would be called if the animal was in poor condition or something on arrival. If you need to get your dog vaccinated on arrival, that just means you get it done at a local vet in your town/city and present the certificate if required to your local customs office, same place you'll be clearing your container. There is no vaccination at the airport.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Apr 19th 2007 at 3:15 pm. Reason: PS
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:12 pm

Looks like we have wasted our money then but our vet, DEFRA and Air Transat all told us that the dogs would have to have microchips and rabies jabs. Bummer
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Looks like we have wasted our money then but our vet, DEFRA and Air Transat all told us that the dogs would have to have microchips and rabies jabs. Bummer
It's not a waste, I just wanted to point out for those in a rush that it's not something they need to stress about as none of it's compulsory to bring in your dog

I think most municipalities require you to have your dog rabies vaccinated, so if you've got the time and money, you may as well do it in the UK. We brought ours unvacc'd and then (eventually!) got him done here.

I guess UK microchips are readable here, so it will be useful if your dog ever wanders.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It's not a waste, I just wanted to point out for those in a rush that it's not something they need to stress about as none of it's compulsory to bring in your dog

I think most municipalities require you to have your dog rabies vaccinated, so if you've got the time and money, you may as well do it in the UK. We brought ours unvacc'd and then (eventually!) got him done here.

I guess UK microchips are readable here, so it will be useful if your dog ever wanders.
My mum is at the vet now getting our dog done. She has had to go twice today :curse: as nobody was qualified to do the stuff so i better not tell my mum she doesnt need it doing
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisi65
My mum is at the vet now getting our dog done. She has had to go twice today :curse: as nobody was qualified to do the stuff so i better not tell my mum she doesnt need it doing
I made my poor Father do all the pre-flight dog stuff too as we were in Canada and the dog was still in the UK. I won't tell if you won't
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I made my poor Father do all the pre-flight dog stuff too as we were in Canada and the dog was still in the UK. I won't tell if you won't
My mum is running about like and idiot. its worries me tho bless her. But we had to come quickly and my parents told me to go so cant really do much else. bless um.