Dog and Secondary Screening at Peace Bridge

Dog and Secondary Screening at Peace Bridge

Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:31 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Dog and Secondary Screening at Peace Bridge

Hi all,

Wife and I are planning a day trip to Letchworth State Park in New York from Toronto on August 1st. We're in Canada on work permits and are both British citizens. We're planning on heading into the U.S. via the Peace Bridge nice and early in the morning fully acknowledging we'll need to be sent to secondary for US VISIT processing and I-94 issuing.

One thing we're unsure about is what will happen with the dog whilst we're in secondary, will she be allowed in with us? If not do they have kennels? I know they do at Blaine, WA POE. Just worried about leaving her in a hot car while we undergo processing for an unknown period of time. What has happened to anyone else at the Peace Bridge (or Rainbow or Lewiston)?

Got her rabies vaccine listed on her EU Pet Passport, so she's ok from a paperwork perspective.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog and Secondary Screening at Peace Bridge

Originally Posted by BTJ
Hi all,

Wife and I are planning a day trip to Letchworth State Park in New York from Toronto on August 1st. We're in Canada on work permits and are both British citizens. We're planning on heading into the U.S. via the Peace Bridge nice and early in the morning fully acknowledging we'll need to be sent to secondary for US VISIT processing and I-94 issuing.

One thing we're unsure about is what will happen with the dog whilst we're in secondary, will she be allowed in with us? If not do they have kennels? I know they do at Blaine, WA POE. Just worried about leaving her in a hot car while we undergo processing for an unknown period of time. What has happened to anyone else at the Peace Bridge (or Rainbow or Lewiston)?

Got her rabies vaccine listed on her EU Pet Passport, so she's ok from a paperwork perspective.
We left the dog(s) in the car at the Peace Bridge and at Lewiston. At Port Huron the dog set off the geiger counter so he had to go for secondary inspection.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The secondary inspection at Peace Bridge has half of its parking under a little portico thingy, so if you're lucky the car will at least be in the shade. I can't imagine they'd allow the dog in the hall (unless it's radioactive like dbd's, of course), but the security guys on the door are normally pretty friendly and, unless anything untoward is going on, will likely be happy for you to step out to see to the dog if there's a long wait time.

Enjoy Letchworth - we spent some time there a couple of summers ago, it's a little gem of a state park. Their strapline of "Grand Canyon of the East" is maybe overcooking it a little bit, but it's a lovely place for a decent hike.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The secondary inspection at Peace Bridge has half of its parking under a little portico thingy, so if you're lucky the car will at least be in the shade. I can't imagine they'd allow the dog in the hall (unless it's radioactive like dbd's, of course), but the security guys on the door are normally pretty friendly and, unless anything untoward is going on, will likely be happy for you to step out to see to the dog if there's a long wait time.

Enjoy Letchworth - we spent some time there a couple of summers ago, it's a little gem of a state park. Their strapline of "Grand Canyon of the East" is maybe overcooking it a little bit, but it's a lovely place for a decent hike.
I never tried taking a dog inside, I doubt that would go well, (the beeping dog was inspected on the tarmac) but I did ask the officer at the Peace Bridge to let me go outside to fuss and that wasn't a problem. It's not often that I've had to wait long enough for this to be an issue anyway.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:49 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Thanks both, certainly looking forward to the visit, the reviews online certainly make it sound like a worthwhile place to see.

As I understand it we could visit the U.S. in the next couple of weeks get issued I-94s and we wouldn't routinely get sent to secondary on a 2nd visit before those 90 days are up, is that right?

If so, we may head to Niagara Falls and make the trip across to the U.S. side sans dog so that I don't need to worry about it for our trip in August.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you're worried...why can't one of you stay with the dog...then go in when the other gets back to the car?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 15th 2015 at 3:06 am.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:12 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you're worried...why can't one of you stay with the dog...then go in when the other gets back to the car?
I assumed that wasn't allowed, but it could be a solution.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
I assumed that wasn't allowed, but it could be a solution.
I can't see why not...the I-94 is given out individually...not one per family. Any problem...I would explain the reason why.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

At Pacific Crossing they had kennels to put the dog in while we were inside. We were just going to leave her in the car (with the windows down) but there was a dog working in the area at the time so we had to bring her to the kennels.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 2:05 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

So we ended up heading to Niagara Falls yesterday without the dog, which given the high temperatures this weekend, it was nice to spend the day in an air conditioned car!

The parking at Rainbow Bridge is uncovered, so the car was boiling hot by the time we got back - so glad we hadn't taken the dog. Secondary was pretty quick, only took about 10 minutes, but at primary they take your passports and call you both to secondary at the same time, so not sure splitting up would have worked. Either way, we're good to enter the US until October now hopefully without secondary screening.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by rcfinancialgroup112
The Peace Bridge Authority has long-championed the pre-inspection concept, as it provides a truly innovative, technology-driven solution to border management," said Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority Chairman Anthony Annunziata.
You send them a picture of your dog?