Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog relocation

Dog relocation

Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

julescg26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog relocation

Hi all, I'm looking to move my mum's dog to be with me in NS at the end of January, he'd be coming from Manchester to Halifax. Does anyone have any good relocation companies they have used for relocating a dog? I've already had 1 tell me they won't fly them to Halifax in the winter because the cargo hold isn't warm enough - so I could be on for a road trip to Toronto to collect him which is fine.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog relocation

Not just Halifax. Few airlines will not transport animals during the winter
Old Jan 7th 2020, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Not just Halifax. Few airlines will not transport animals during the winter
Agreed. If you do find one, do you really want to risk the life of the dog if the plane is delayed on the runway? Try April, maybe March.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

They will fly him to main airports as the cargos on those flights are heated, and I did mention that I don’t mind driving to Toronto to collect him.
I’m just looking for any recommendations of pet relocation companies anyone may have used in the past
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julescg26
They will fly him to main airports as the cargos on those flights are heated, and I did mention that I don’t mind driving to Toronto to collect him.
I’m just looking for any recommendations of pet relocation companies anyone may have used in the past
OK...sorry for the confusion.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 4:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No need for a relocation agency or pet transportation company - get the dog to the vet for it's fit to fly certificate, rabies shots - then have someone put it on an Air Transat flight to Toronto .. or if it's small enough, get someone to fly with it in the cabin! - it will still be cheaper than using a pet transport company) Flights to the UK you need a pet relocation company, but coming from the UK to Canada, you don't. Lots of threads around on the subject too - as well as our wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada
https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra...d-service-dogs

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No need for a relocation agency or pet transportation company - get the dog to the vet for it's fit to fly certificate, rabies shots - then have someone put it on an Air Transat flight to Toronto .. or if it's small enough, get someone to fly with it in the cabin! - it will still be cheaper than using a pet transport company)
https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra...d-service-dogs
Problem is dogs cannot fly out of the UK in the cabin, unless they are service dogs.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 4:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Problem is dogs cannot fly out of the UK in the cabin, unless they are service dogs.
Interesting, thanks for the info... on Air Transat's website it says there is a restriction for pets in the cabin TO the UK - nothing about from. Can you give a link please (so I can update the wiki) ?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2020 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Interesting, thanks for the info... on Air Transat's website it says there is a restriction for pets in the cabin TO the UK - nothing about from. Can you give a link please (so I can update the wiki) ?
You are correct. I called Air Transat and the confirmed they do allow small dogs and cats in the cabin on flights from the UK to Canada.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Using a pet relocation service does give me some peace of mind and I've managed to get a couple of quotes which seem to cover all the fees and taxes and ensure I don't miss anything necessary. I'll keep looking at quotes, but thank you for your ideas so far, I hadn't thought of Air Transat
Old Jan 8th 2020, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, Using a pet relocation service does give me some peace of mind and I've managed to get a couple of quotes which seem to cover all the fees and taxes and ensure I don't miss anything necessary. I'll keep looking at quotes, but thank you for your ideas so far, I hadn't thought of Air Transat
AT are the only airline that flies direct from MAN to Toronto, they also fly to Montreal. How much does your dog weigh and what breed is it? It must be kept in a pet carrier, located under the seat in front.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 8th 2020 at 5:49 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

He's too big for the cabin, he has to go cargo which limits a lot of options and makes it more expensive (but as he's family I'd rather him be comfortable and well looked after and that will cost what ever). And a couple of them have come back and said that they will fly him to Halifax but he needs a night boarding in Toronto to break up his flying and a service has all those contacts.
I just wish those Max 8 planes had never been grounded for all reasons but a direct Heathrow to Halifax flight would have been ideal!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

He's too big for the cabin, he has to go cargo which limits a lot of options and makes it more expensive (but as he's family I'd rather him be comfortable and well looked after and that will cost what ever). And a couple of them have come back and said that they will fly him to Halifax but he needs a night boarding in Toronto to break up his flying and a service has all those contacts.
I just wish those Max 8 planes had never been grounded for all reasons but a direct Heathrow to Halifax flight would have been ideal!
I don’t think any airline will transport a pet in the cabin if it will not fit into a small carrier under the seat in front...unless it is a support pet.

The alternative is to sail on the QM2 from Southampton to NYC...then make your from there. Kennels on the ship are very limited and get booked up well in advance, but you may be lucky and get a cancellation.

Edit: Just remembered the QM2 will not sail Transatlantic until the spring when it finishes a world tour.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 8th 2020 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

UK44 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been looking through the same process as bringing my dog with me (UK to Toronto) in April.

Air Canada and Air Transat said I needed to find a broker, so I’ve settled on a company called Pet Air UK who were recommended to me by a friend.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UK44
I’ve been looking through the same process as bringing my dog with me (UK to Toronto) in April.

Air Canada and Air Transat said I needed to find a broker, so I’ve settled on a company called Pet Air UK who were recommended to me by a friend.
I'm still waiting to hear back from them, so far Airpets and Jets4Pets have replied with quotes, I just need to phone them tomorrow and see exactly what they provide. Pet Air were the ones who told me they couldn't fly him from Toronto to Halifax, but the others haven't mentioned that, so curious to see what they say.
Air Canada recommended James Cargo to me, so going to phone them too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.