Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog owners....

Dog owners....

Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:15 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog owners....

Doesn't appear to be the law to have it CFIA

Searched around so if your not in Bat country why have it.

Only 4 cases in the whole of the country - Fee for Shot is - $15
fee for checking the dog is healthy enought to have the shot -$60+
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:09 am
Homesick Lady

Originally Posted by jericho
We got our Airedale pup last month, and are gonna take him to petsmart this weekend for his first proper grooming session. They've told me he needs to have had his rabies vaccination, but having now looked at his vaccination certificate, he's not actually had it.

Anyone know how much it costs? We've booked him in to be neutered next month, and I'm still getting over the cost of that, so am hoping the rabies shot will be relatively cheap and easy.

Thanks for your help...
the vets here are just as expensive as uk pound to dollar you have to have the rabies shot even for cats that can't go out! racoons etc, Thats why vets drive around in Mercs! unlike some of us! My son is definietely gonna be a vet when he leaves school!!!

Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
So I called up the fabulousfurballs people, and have now got him booked in for free monthly grooming sessions, on the proviso that their groomers can use him as a model. He'll be trimmed to look like a classic airedale- ie/ they're not gonna be trying out weird and wonderful hairdo's on him.

Suits me fine, plus it gives the wife and kids a day off once a month (he's a bit of a handful!).

He doesnt need a rabies shot to go there. We'll probably get it done at his next round of vaccinations though.
Excellent, please let me know how you get on, it's always good to have lots of different views on a place as I get asked about groomers a lot.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog had a nasty incident at one groomers last summer. They busily set about shaving him, and nicked his balls. Poor bugger had a right old cut!

At the time, we were on holiday and some friends who were kindly looking after him had taken him for a summer cool-off shaving session (with our approval) - and she was mortified when she saw the damage later on. She took him back to the groomers, who denied all knowledge, and then threw in that "anyway, dogs that age have normally been neutered". Did you not check first you silly moo ?! :curse:

Dog then went to the vet's for some cream and silly collar for a few days.

Anyway - don't you hate it when people post their doom and gloom stories on your thread
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Is there any reason why Americans/Canadians go in for grooming parlours so much? I've never seen so many "DoggySmarts" and other variations on that theme. Is it because the dogs are hairier or the summers hotter? I've only ever known one Old English Shepherd in England who had an annual trim, otherwise it is a really new concept to me - certainly none of our family pets ever had more than an occasional brush, or hose down when they had rolled in something nasty.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea! I'm new to this dog owning lark. There seem to be a lot of smallish, shaggy cross breeds here - we have a Cockerpoo - and without a haircut occasionally he looks dreadful. And when it hits 80-90 degrees for a few weeks (I know, in Canada, amazing!) he was just melting last year.

I leave it thicker and shaggier at this time of year, but have taken to tidying him up myself now .... you know, so he can see out
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Oh I can understand why with any poodle related breed, just not with a shedding dog. Maybe there are more non-shedding dogs here.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have finally got a puppy!!!!!

Had her a week........and she is a total cutie and so well behaved!

She was a furball when we got her, so she went to the groomers today (Puppy Tales in Sherwood park) cost $42.

I have to be honest, I thought they gave me the wrong dog back......what a difference. She is a schnauzer/shitzu cross.

Here she is.......before and after (my kids were really upset that she doesn't look like a Ewok anymore)

Linda
Attached Thumbnails Dog owners....-100_0033.jpg   Dog owners....-100_0233.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

I take ours to the groomers to get his nails trimmed (I'm too chicken) and to have his anal glands squeezed .

The fact he comes back all shiny and smelling gorgeous from his shampoo is just a bonus
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Linda - how cute! But I have to agree with the kids. Way more gorgeous with all the fluff

I haven't laughed so hard as when my dog came back from his first haircut - he looked hysterical (and way too much like the poo bit of cockerpoo ) - barely recognisable. I keep him medium to shaggy now.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:25 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
We have finally got a puppy!!!!!

Had her a week........and she is a total cutie and so well behaved!

She was a furball when we got her, so she went to the groomers today (Puppy Tales in Sherwood park) cost $42.

I have to be honest, I thought they gave me the wrong dog back......what a difference. She is a schnauzer/shitzu cross.

Here she is.......before and after (my kids were really upset that she doesn't look like a Ewok anymore)

Linda

Aww Linda you sure they did give you the right dog back lol. Thought that at this time of year they would leave a bit of extra fuzz on her.
What a cutie tho.

Im glad we ended up with a Blue Heeler/German Shepard cross none of this grooming malarky, although she is molting now so I still do have to rake her every day.
Attached Thumbnails Dog owners....-picture-108.jpg  

Last edited by minihaha; Jan 29th 2009 at 7:02 am. Reason: adding pic
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Doesn't appear to be the law to have it CFIA

Searched around so if your not in Bat country why have it.

Only 4 cases in the whole of the country - Fee for Shot is - $15
fee for checking the dog is healthy enought to have the shot -$60+
Skunks, possums and other urban animals are also carriers of rabies and most city's have these animals wandering around. Skunks account for 40% of animal rabies cases vs 26% for bats.

Plus if your dog bites someone and you have no proof of vaccine, the dog could potentially be destroyed as a precaution and to test for rabies.

Not all vets charge an exam fee for vaccines. My vet charges $21 dollars for the vaccine and that's it.

Only 4 human cases in recent history.

Far more known animal cases.

During the past 6 years (2000-2005) a total of 2,238 cases of confirmed animal rabies were reported in Canada (average: 373 per year). According to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

We had a case a couple years ago of someones pet cat getting rabies, nobody knows where the animal caught it, but the cat had to be destroyed and any who came into close contact with the cat had to get vaccinated for rabies as a preventive measure. I personally would not want that as a liability to save a little money.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 29th 2009 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Linda - how cute! But I have to agree with the kids. Way more gorgeous with all the fluff

I haven't laughed so hard as when my dog came back from his first haircut - he looked hysterical (and way too much like the poo bit of cockerpoo ) - barely recognisable. I keep him medium to shaggy now.
I agree.....I won't have it that short again, bless her!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by minihaha
Aww Linda you sure they did give you the right dog back lol. Thought that at this time of year they would leave a bit of extra fuzz on her.
What a cutie tho.

Im glad we ended up with a Blue Heeler/German Shepard cross none of this grooming malarky, although she is molting now so I still do have to rake her every day.
I love the markings!!!! Is he as mad as scooby?

Linda
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:56 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
I love the markings!!!! Is he as mad as scooby?

Linda
Lol, nah shes great, for a big dog can totaly trust her with the kids and anyone else's. Just her and the 3 cats dont always see eye to eye with each other a work in progress there untill shes older im sure.

Just woudlnt recommend getting a dog without a fence in the yard yet she really does need a good 2 hr run every day.Luckily our Jake loves playing WWF with her so that wears her out. Shes going to make an awsome agility dog when shes old enough to go, just hope I can keep up with her I better get in training now.

x minihaha x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.