Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog owners....

Dog owners....

Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:55 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog owners....

We got our Airedale pup last month, and are gonna take him to petsmart this weekend for his first proper grooming session. They've told me he needs to have had his rabies vaccination, but having now looked at his vaccination certificate, he's not actually had it.

Anyone know how much it costs? We've booked him in to be neutered next month, and I'm still getting over the cost of that, so am hoping the rabies shot will be relatively cheap and easy.

Thanks for your help...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Dog owners....

Congrats on the new pup! Airedales are hilarious ...our dog was best buddies with 2 til they moved from the island to Calgary ...too sad! He still misses Big Dave and Wee Doris

Despite what you've been told, you don't NEED a rabies jab. We have had our dog done but only because we might need to take him back to the UK at some stage but hopefully not.

Our vet (who is fabulous and so highly recommended locally) does not believe in vaccinating for the sake of it. He's not the sort of chap to tell you your pet needs something just to make the big bucks out of it.
(I think I also like him cos he's Scottish, like me. Actually I think I'm developing a bit of a THING as I'm never out of the place! Ha!)

I can't remember how much the rabies jab cost but vet fees vary from vet to vet. I've heard of so many pet owners being ripped off. Perhaps you could get a personal recommendation for another one eg from other owners at the doggy park?

Bloomin expensive these critters!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
We got our Airedale pup last month, and are gonna take him to petsmart this weekend for his first proper grooming session. They've told me he needs to have had his rabies vaccination, but having now looked at his vaccination certificate, he's not actually had it.

Anyone know how much it costs? We've booked him in to be neutered next month, and I'm still getting over the cost of that, so am hoping the rabies shot will be relatively cheap and easy.

Thanks for your help...
Hey Jericho, it's probably not right to tar them all with the same brush, but I don't hear a lot of good about the grooming in that particular establishment - I don't mean specifically the Sherwood Park store, more the chain in general.

I've seen the staff in the Calgary Trail store handling the dogs really roughly, and in the one on 170 st I saw one staff member really yank on the hair on a dogs face. I don't think I've heard one client tell me they like the place.

On the other hand, I've heard some great things about www.fabulousfurballs.com in Sherwood Park. I actually did the Pet First Aid course with one of the owners, Dwayne, and he seemed like a really good guy.

They recently opened a training school and they are looking for models - Airedale is one of the breeds they are looking for, they are offering free monthly grooming to the models according to their site.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Hey Jericho, it's probably not right to tar them all with the same brush, but I don't hear a lot of good about the grooming in that particular establishment - I don't mean specifically the Sherwood Park store, more the chain in general.

I've seen the staff in the Calgary Trail store handling the dogs really roughly, and in the one on 170 st I saw one staff member really yank on the hair on a dogs face. I don't think I've heard one client tell me they like the place.

On the other hand, I've heard some great things about www.fabulousfurballs.com in Sherwood Park. I actually did the Pet First Aid course with one of the owners, Dwayne, and he seemed like a really good guy.

They recently opened a training school and they are looking for models - Airedale is one of the breeds they are looking for, they are offering free monthly grooming to the models according to their site.
Interesting. I will give them a call. Thanks for both replies....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder whether it is just AB groomers who request a Rabies shot because my groomer asked for the same

If I were you I would go to someone who is reccommeded - one of the girls I know took hers to somewhere she found in the Better Book and they were horredous. Her puppy took months to recover from the ordeal

I went with a groomer a friend of mine has used for 14 years and was more than pleased with the groom etc apart from when she told me I had a very vicious puppy when she was clipping him around his ears

Felt like saying to her "yeah so would you if someone was shaving off all of your hair"

Gaynor
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Rabies is typically done at 6 months of age and groomers should know this.

Even if not required its highly recommended, rabies is carried by several urban animals that a pet could come into contact with.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

In that case, I'll probably give petsmart the miss. I've contacted fabulousfurballs and will let you know how we get on. Thanks again!

Anyone know how much the rabies shot is?
:curse:
(sorry for the smiley- my daughter made me choose it!)
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:50 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I have not heard great reports from petsmart here in town either

like gaynor has said i would ask around and see where there is a good one, if you are near school maybe ask some other moms

O so need our own puppy
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:34 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
In that case, I'll probably give petsmart the miss. I've contacted fabulousfurballs and will let you know how we get on. Thanks again!

Anyone know how much the rabies shot is?
:curse:
(sorry for the smiley- my daughter made me choose it!)
Hi, our mutt couldn't have her rabies until she was 6 months old ~ it was $90ish ....... as for petsmart, our dog gets groomed there sometimes but only with 1 particular groomer, my daughter used to work there & mentioned that one of the other groomers was too rough with the dogs for her liking
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Our Rabies shot for the puppy was about $60
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:18 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Henry used to be groomed at Petsmart here in Red Deer, as a puppy with their special offer puppy grooming thing. He now goes to a locally owned groomers who stole the better groomers from Petsmart. There are only a couple of people who can trim Henry's paws and they are the Petsmart girls. Petsmart seem to be really busy and the turn around is really quick, the local place seems to get him to look smarter.

As for the rabies, it's usually the kennel cough that's asked for. I would say rabies is advisable but you don't need heartworm in AB (so my vets say). I think the rabies is about $80 but it's not every year unless you intend to go to the USA for hols.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Rabies is typically done at 6 months of age and groomers should know this.

Even if not required its highly recommended, rabies is carried by several urban animals that a pet could come into contact with.
Agreed 100%. Why put your pet at risk for the sake of $90 or so. From the groomers point of view they do not want to contract what can be a deadly disease or have animals in their care contract it?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

I suppose the pros and cons of the rabies jab need to be weighed up. It's not just the cost.

Our dog vomited and was listless after his rabies shot. He now suffers from allergies and the vet has advised that there is a chance this came from the vaccinations. (Perhaps others that he had or perhaps the rabies one ..who knows?!)

That said, I'm glad he's protected from rabies. I'm not sure how high the risk of him coming into contact with an infected animal is though.

He has been to two groomers here on Vancouver Island and neither asked if he'd had a rabies shot. (He loves the one he goes to now ...he tries to make me go in the shop every time we walk past ...such a good sign .)
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

So I called up the fabulousfurballs people, and have now got him booked in for free monthly grooming sessions, on the proviso that their groomers can use him as a model. He'll be trimmed to look like a classic airedale- ie/ they're not gonna be trying out weird and wonderful hairdo's on him.

Suits me fine, plus it gives the wife and kids a day off once a month (he's a bit of a handful!).

He doesnt need a rabies shot to go there. We'll probably get it done at his next round of vaccinations though.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jericho;7222687](he's a bit of a handful!)./QUOTE]

The second time in a week that I have heard exactly the same comment from another Airdale owner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.