Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog food issue

Dog food issue

Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food issue

Hi
Six weeks talking to my DOG on skype has nearly killed me..........but she is coming to Canada in two weeks
Bonnie arrives on 29th October......so this week I have been doing some serious looking. I found one called Actr1um, a Holistic Adult dog food........in Walmart, was not the cheapest at nearly $18 for a 7kg bag, but with Bonnie's allergies and sensitivity, I need a food which will be more geared to natural foods. It doesn't seem to contain additives or anything nasty. I have not tried it yet....so just bought the one bag to see how she goes when she gets here. So I can't recommend it......fortunately being a Labrador she won't be fussy....but it just depends whether she shows any reaction to it as to whether she will stay on it.

She seemed best suited to CHAPPIE Chicken variety in the UK.....and that is pretty basic.....but she was good on it. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it here so we have to go the trial and hopefully not too many errors route.

I will let you know what I think of it, one way or another.
Hope this helps
Stef

Originally Posted by blue monday
My vet recommends some Purina (and no he doesn't sell it), he says the worst food you can buy is supermarket own brands.

My retriever is fussy and seems to like Bakers Complete which you can't get in CA and dosn't like Beta. Im thinking of trying her on doggie chow, ut looking at the comparison chart I may try something else.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:19 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand this, if you need natural foods for a dog then what would be the problem with meat and veggies, apart from smelly farts from too much broccolli?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't understand this, if you need natural foods for a dog then what would be the problem with meat and veggies, apart from smelly farts from too much broccolli?
Oh, OK. If I must I'll take this nonsense seriously.

We discovered several years ago (nay, a decade ago) that our pooch couldn't handle any wet dog food or any meat scraps from our plates. The evidence for this was brown and runny, like molten marmite.

Since then it's dry food only. I buy the stuff regularly from a supermarket, I think it's called Iams. Which reminds me of a certain moderator.

No doubt scorn will be my reward for not knowing anything about its content, but there we are.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:03 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I spoke with my pet food store and explained that our westie is on Burns which is not available in Canada. He mentioned that there was a new line coming to his store which was made in Canada called Orijen. Seems to have no rice, wheat and fillers etc, high protein and low carbs and seems the 'healthy' choice. Another pet store mentioned that if I switch my dog to this brand she will end up having a healthier diet than me.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/orijen/
Anyone tried it?
lns
I buy Orijen or Acana for my dog, and can fully recommend it. We had him on Iams at first, which he liked, but he was constantly itching. We switched him to Orijen and he's been fine ever since.
It's high quality stuff, made right here in Alberta.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:15 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

we use one called Natural Choice (the seniors one with glucosamine) - works fine on our two 11 year old dogs - one has sensitive skin and sensitive stomach and has had no problems with this one. they love the herring version of natural choice - but it stinks!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:59 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I am a meany and buy whichever dry food is the cheapest - plus whatever meat and veg are cheap -
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
I suppose the fact of having to constantly think about what I will give her, especially the days when we have Pizza, lasagne, curry, chilli etc. I don't want to have to cook for another fussy eater.....one son is bad enough. Also plain meat and veg is not tolerated by her all the time. I like a clean garden, if you know what I mean. I will give Actr1um a go and if that does not suit...I will try some of the others mentioned.
Thanks for the suggestions
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have it for breakfast most days. It goes well with a cup of Orange Pekoe and an acetaminophen.
Apparently your stools should be more formed with Orijen, so might be worth a go ;-)
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Henry eats Wolfking with a sprinkling of Orijen on top. The kennels he goes to sells Orijen and when Henry first started going to the Kennels he would refuse to eat, so to get him to eat the Kennel owner would put two spoons of Orijen puppy on top of his food to get him to eat, he still gets spoiled that way at the kennels, but I just buy some adult kibble for him. It's a different flavour to the Wolfking so gives him some variety.

Yes Henry is super duper spoiled.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

my (nearly) 4 yr old Labrador has a reaction to anything that contains wheat, has a very sensitive left ear. She is on Eukanuba sensitive skin. Cost about $70 for a 301b bag and we now feed both dogs on it, even though the other has no allergy they both thrive on it.
We tried Orijen was way to rich and too high in protein for my dogs. All Global pets stores sell Eukanuba products, they have a website just goggle Eukanuba.

Although the sensitive skin was recalled 2 months ago for salmonella so waiting for it to come back on shelves. Have been using Eukanuba Maintenance and that seems to be fine for both dogs, good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you...I will bear this in mind if the one I have proves unsuitable
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by wensamjam
my (nearly) 4 yr old Labrador has a reaction to anything that contains wheat, has a very sensitive left ear. She is on Eukanuba sensitive skin. Cost about $70 for a 301b bag and we now feed both dogs on it, even though the other has no allergy they both thrive on it.
We tried Orijen was way to rich and too high in protein for my dogs. All Global pets stores sell Eukanuba products, they have a website just goggle Eukanuba.

Although the sensitive skin was recalled 2 months ago for salmonella so waiting for it to come back on shelves. Have been using Eukanuba Maintenance and that seems to be fine for both dogs, good luck.