Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog food issue

Dog food issue

Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dog food issue

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Here is a dog food comparison chart http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/dog-food-comparison.html

I feed my chow, Solid Gold Wolfking with a sprinkle of Orijen on top. He is a pretty healthy boy.
Thanks for this chart, it'll give us an idea of what to buy when we get to Canada, only ones on this chart you can get in UK are either hard to get hold of or 0 scoops like the Beta Purina we feed ours, furtunately we're moving in 9 months
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Purina and Iams suck (imo) Most of the big international brands make crap food.

Look for local or US brands like Orijen, Solid Gold, Go or Now (my dog is on Go), Canadian naturals etc. Much better quality, high protein content, and less use of crap fillers like corn, wheat etc.

Or go raw, like Bells suggested.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:31 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

The two brands that work best with our two over here are Taste of the Wild and Natural Choice - both of which are easily available. They particularly like the herring natural choice one which absolutely stinks!

They used to have Chappie back home as it was recommended by both a vet and a kennels as one of ours has a sensitive stomach and it took us ages to put weight on to him when we got him from the dogs home as everything went right through him.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A HUGE THANKS to everyone for your contributions, it has turned into a debate, which is great. Certainly given us all FOOD FOR THOUGHT .... Sorry I couldn't resist that one.

lol
Stef
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

We found that the composition of the dog food in Canada was different to the UK despite the brand, packaging, etc. being the same.
We're currently using Natures Best because it had the closest % protein to the food we used in the UK.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My dog prefers cat food.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
My dog prefers cat food.
Which is better than preferring cats.

About 6 months after we arrived out cat started to lose weight so we took her to the vets. Various tests later the vet said that her blood work showed she had a serious illness probably lymphoma and that the cat was dying.

We were pretty shocked as a middle-aged-no-kids-with-cats-instead couple. We paid for some antivirals, some antibiotics, and some steroidy things and hoped they might work. We were not going to pay for further tests and chemo for the poor thing. We decided to take her off the Hills Prescription Diet and put her back on the Iams chicken food that she liked. 4 weeks later the blood work was repeated and she's on the mend. The vet was amazed.
She's fine now, has a slightly dodgy liver but as long as she keeps off the gin she's ok.

Now she has Iams chicken, some dental food and in the summer she has wet food so she doesn't get dehydrated.

It turns out that the Hills food was one of the ones contaminated with melamine or whatever. So, sometimes the fancier foods aren't best.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

If your dog is currently on a dry food and you are worried about how it will cope on a different brand - I would do the following.

Start introducing home made foods for a while - until their current pack runs out. (half and half say)

I fed my dogs small amount of Rice, some meat (beef or whatever your dog can eat), some vegetables (those they can eat - mine had green and yellow beans with no problems). Plus snacks during the day.

I did this because our new pup had an allergy and we had to try and figure out what was doing it...it was the dried/wet food Beneful and some sorts of treats (she had a huge load given to her at Christmas).

Anyway..So if you feed your dog your own food - you can feed your dog your own food (potato is potato right hahah) when you get here and introduce another brand of dried food slowly. Hopefully not upsetting their stomach too much in one go.

Yes it will be a pain but if you make enough of it at one time and then freeze it in portions - its not a massive problem. (Unless you have a great dane).

Make sure you look up what they can't eat (theres lists on google) and just ensure they are getting enough.

It shouldn't take long for a dog to transition from home food to a new brand.

Just my tuppence worth
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thank you for your advice
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by NatsnSid
If your dog is currently on a dry food and you are worried about how it will cope on a different brand - I would do the following.

Start introducing home made foods for a while - until their current pack runs out. (half and half say)

I fed my dogs small amount of Rice, some meat (beef or whatever your dog can eat), some vegetables (those they can eat - mine had green and yellow beans with no problems). Plus snacks during the day.

I did this because our new pup had an allergy and we had to try and figure out what was doing it...it was the dried/wet food Beneful and some sorts of treats (she had a huge load given to her at Christmas).

Anyway..So if you feed your dog your own food - you can feed your dog your own food (potato is potato right hahah) when you get here and introduce another brand of dried food slowly. Hopefully not upsetting their stomach too much in one go.

Yes it will be a pain but if you make enough of it at one time and then freeze it in portions - its not a massive problem. (Unless you have a great dane).

Make sure you look up what they can't eat (theres lists on google) and just ensure they are getting enough.

It shouldn't take long for a dog to transition from home food to a new brand.

Just my tuppence worth
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I spoke with my pet food store and explained that our westie is on Burns which is not available in Canada. He mentioned that there was a new line coming to his store which was made in Canada called Orijen. Seems to have no rice, wheat and fillers etc, high protein and low carbs and seems the 'healthy' choice. Another pet store mentioned that if I switch my dog to this brand she will end up having a healthier diet than me.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/orijen/
Anyone tried it?
lns
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jericho
Purina is possibly the worst food you could buy....
My vet recommends some Purina (and no he doesn't sell it), he says the worst food you can buy is supermarket own brands.

My retriever is fussy and seems to like Bakers Complete which you can't get in CA and dosn't like Beta. Im thinking of trying her on doggie chow, ut looking at the comparison chart I may try something else.

Last edited by blue monday; Oct 16th 2010 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I spoke with my pet food store and explained that our westie is on Burns which is not available in Canada. He mentioned that there was a new line coming to his store which was made in Canada called Orijen. Seems to have no rice, wheat and fillers etc, high protein and low carbs and seems the 'healthy' choice. Another pet store mentioned that if I switch my dog to this brand she will end up having a healthier diet than me.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/orijen/
Anyone tried it?
lns
I have it for breakfast most days. It goes well with a cup of Orange Pekoe and an acetaminophen.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have it for breakfast most days. It goes well with a cup of Orange Pekoe and an acetaminophen.
That would account for the wet nose and slobbering.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That would account for the wet nose and slobbering.
For the wet nose, I miss proper British hankies. The slobbering would have happened in any country.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
For the wet nose, I miss proper British hankies. The slobbering would have happened in any country.
With a monogram in the corner and a faint blue line around the border? I bet you know how to make a little hat from them too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.