Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog food issue

Dog food issue

Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog food issue

Hi
Hope that you can help.
My Labrador has well documented allergy issues and I have put her on Chappie complete dry food (the Chicken Variety) and I do mix in a bit of the same wet food to make it more palatable.

Question: Can I get this dog food in Canada? If so where? If not, is there a Canadian equivalent that does not contain Pork?

Thanks, just trying to decide if I need to ship some in my container...if I am allowed to that is?

lol
Stef
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food issue

you cant take pet food to canada since it contaings british meat.

Chappie isnt a great food in terms of quality. I recommend it (as a vet) mostly for overweight dogs and dogs with a history of pancreatitis since it is very low in fat compared to everything else. its low fat content is also why many dogs wont eat it.

as far as i know chappie is not available in canada. However, there are lots of food allergy products such as the ones produced by hills, royal canin etc e.g. hills zd.

if your dog is just allergic to pork - there will be lots of foods available to you.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I will PM you
Thanks
stef

Originally Posted by chanceUK
you cant take pet food to canada since it contaings british meat.

Chappie isnt a great food in terms of quality. I recommend it (as a vet) mostly for overweight dogs and dogs with a history of pancreatitis since it is very low in fat compared to everything else. its low fat content is also why many dogs wont eat it.

as far as i know chappie is not available in canada. However, there are lots of food allergy products such as the ones produced by hills, royal canin etc e.g. hills zd.

if your dog is just allergic to pork - there will be lots of foods available to you.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I will PM you
Thanks
stef
PM sent, goodluck!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

As mentioned above, Chappie isnt actually a good dog food and contains quite a few allergens itself- wheat and maize in particular (ie/ the stuff they use to add bulk).

We buy Orijen or Acana from Champion Pet Foods- they're Alberta based and always winning awards for their product. All their ingredients are fresh, and they contain no allergens (like wheat/maize). Everything is imported locally also.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
As mentioned above, Chappie isnt actually a good dog food and contains quite a few allergens itself- wheat and maize in particular (ie/ the stuff they use to add bulk).

We buy Orijen or Acana from Champion Pet Foods- they're Alberta based and always winning awards for their product. All their ingredients are fresh, and they contain no allergens (like wheat/maize). Everything is imported locally also.
Imported locally?? Interesting concept

Petsmart is one of many petfood chains here. This link has the dog foods they sell. Vets sell other stuff not available in pet shops.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info
lol
Stef
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jericho

dogs can be allergic to anything for example chicken, egg, turkey, beef, wheat etc. the fact that a dog food contains something like wheat or maize is not necessarily a bad thing.

Chappie although considered a poor quality food i.e. uses a poor quality of meat, poor quality of wheat etc can be a great food for certain situations and will satisfy nutritional requirements i.e. it is a complete food.

These days there is a massive choice of great quality of food e.g. nature diet that contain a higher standard of ingredient. However, with a dog suffering from allergies, you have to determine the exact allergen in their particular case so changing from chappie to Orijen or Acana wont fix the allergies if the dog is allergic to egg or chicken- although their may be other benefits e.g. shinier/healthier coats in diets richer in omega 3 for example.

Last edited by chanceUK; Jul 25th 2010 at 2:19 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

I did not realise you couldnt ship dog food??

Our dog eats Burns Puppy - this is the only food he can stomach as he has a reaction to almost everything else we have tried him on.

We were planning on bulk buying aload and shipping it in our container with the rest of our stuff

It can take him weeks to settle on different foods, he always gets a runny tummy with blood in it

We think its a side effect to being born with IDD
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to behold

Try Medi-Cal, they have a hypoallergenic formula with no pork. It's made by Royal Canin and can be purchased through veterinarians.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
I did not realise you couldnt ship dog food??

Our dog eats Burns Puppy - this is the only food he can stomach as he has a reaction to almost everything else we have tried him on.

We were planning on bulk buying aload and shipping it in our container with the rest of our stuff

It can take him weeks to settle on different foods, he always gets a runny tummy with blood in it

We think its a side effect to being born with IDD
This is something I had not considered. Our westie is on 'Burns' is that brand available in canada?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

We just spent time in Lethbridge looking at Dogfood for our 3 when we move, we noticed it was quite expensive for one except for Iams and Purina brands which could be useful to the OP, they were aroun $40 ish a 15kg bag.
Ours are on Purina now in the UK so not a bad thing for us.

They also have Pedigree and Royal Canin but we didn't recognise any of the other brands except Taste of The Wild which is a really good brand primarily sold in America and Canada although you can get it over here but its not common, or cheap in either country
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags1972
We just spent time in Lethbridge looking at Dogfood for our 3 when we move, we noticed it was quite expensive for one except for Iams and Purina brands which could be useful to the OP, they were aroun $40 ish a 15kg bag.
Ours are on Purina now in the UK so not a bad thing for us.

They also have Pedigree and Royal Canin but we didn't recognise any of the other brands except Taste of The Wild which is a really good brand primarily sold in America and Canada although you can get it over here but its not common, or cheap in either country
Purina is possibly the worst food you could buy....
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:21 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Just go RAw its much easier!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a dog food comparison chart http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/dog-food-comparison.html

I feed my chow, Solid Gold Wolfking with a sprinkle of Orijen on top. He is a pretty healthy boy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.