British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/dog-dilemma-should-she-stay-should-she-go-868606/)

ciderdrinker Nov 29th 2015 4:44 pm

Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go?

Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to ship a medium sized dog (Labrador) over from London to Vancouver?

We're trying to decide whether it's best to bring our 10 year female lab over when we emigrate next year or leave her in the care of my dad, who's also in his early 70s, in the UK. While she has a lovely temperament, and we are incredibly fond of her, I'm not sure how she would cope with the flight. She isn't a nervous dog but shakes at buzzers and bells!

The other consideration is ease of renting. From what I've seen it would make it much harder to find somewhere.

It's real heart versus head stuff. Any advice from anyone who's been there and got the t-shirt?

Former Lancastrian Nov 29th 2015 4:59 pm

Re: Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go?

Leave it in the UK with your dad as it will be company for him and he will get his exercise.
Renting over here is harder with pets.
Yes its a pet but it will adapt without you and it won't feel neglected.

Stinkypup Nov 29th 2015 11:14 pm

I would agree with FL wholeheartedly- it will have a loving home and you visiting her will be a lot less stressful for her at her age than putting her in a crate for 14 hours which is what would happen- we did it but he was only 6 at the time... Sorry, I was 6 at the time:lol:

withabix Nov 30th 2015 12:19 am

We brought our 9-year old Cocker Spaniel over 2 years ago and she only lasted until the following February :(

It is doable and not too expensive AS LONG as you fly with Air Transat - approx 300 pounds if I remember correctly, plus the correct dog carrier (100 quid). Then there are fees at this end at the airport (Federal fees).

Vets in Canada are super-expensive too. Even saying goodbye will cost you up to $500 or more, compared to the 50 quid typical in the UK.

Piff Poff Nov 30th 2015 1:35 am

My two dogs and tortoise will move to wherever we move too, costs wilk be factored into the move, I couldn't leave them, however, we did rehome our incredibly nerbous cat whendwe moved from the UK, our friends took her.

bc2015 Nov 30th 2015 2:05 am

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 11804867)
Vets in Canada are super-expensive too. Even saying goodbye will cost you up to $500 or more, compared to the 50 quid typical in the UK.

This is a good point. Pet insurance is almost essential but is also expensive ($500 a year in our case). At 10 years old, there's a good chance you won't get cover or it might be even more expensive.

Snowy560 Nov 30th 2015 3:04 am

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 11804917)
This is a good point. Pet insurance is almost essential but is also expensive ($500 a year in our case). At 10 years old, there's a good chance you won't get cover or it might be even more expensive.

That's true. We adopted a senior cat from the rescue home here who is between 10-14 years old. When I tried to get insurance quotes it was either not possible at 10+ or ridiculously expensive. So we have to chance it as we have the cat now.

S

Stinkypup Nov 30th 2015 3:13 am

Even UK pet insurance stops covering older dogs or gives you a piddling amount percentage wise and still costs a fortune once they are 9 or over- we had the diamond package which still cost a bomb- here, we wing it! Basically in medical speak it is DNR ( Do not resuscitate):eek:
Just don't tell him- the poor old boy thinks that he is for full resus, defibrillator, doggy ICU... Poor old Stinky :lol:

Snowy560 Nov 30th 2015 3:17 am

Yes, we have to wing it. We'd already adopted the cat before I realised I couldn't insure him. By that time it was too late because he'd become part of the family. Oh well.

Back to the original Q: I agree it sounds best to leave the dog in the UK with dad. You can always change your mind later if you really miss her/she doesn't settle/you end up sponsoring dad to come to Canada (or he comes out on the supervisa).

S

Stinkypup Nov 30th 2015 3:51 am

We did get our money's worth out of PetPlan Insurance with Stinky- (despite great parental hip scores and his sister doing brilliantly at Crufts, no mean feat for a Golden Retriever given the gazillions of entries) he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at about 8 months and had a huge surgery at Cambridge vet hospital which must have cost a fortune- still got one wonky leg but he got to this age pretty well but he is very stiff and creaky:(

christmasoompa Nov 30th 2015 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11804936)
Even UK pet insurance stops covering older dogs or gives you a piddling amount percentage wise

Not if you get a lifetime plan though.

For the OP, personally my heart would win out every time when it comes to my dog, so in your position I'd take her.

Tangram Nov 30th 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 11804902)
My two dogs and tortoise will move to wherever we move too, costs wilk be factored into the move, I couldn't leave them, however, we did rehome our incredibly nerbous cat whendwe moved from the UK, our friends took her.

Left my tortoise with an adopter as I thought it would be too cold. had him since i was 5 years old, very sad day

Stinkypup Nov 30th 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11805024)
Not if you get a lifetime plan though.

For the OP, personally my heart would win out every time when it comes to my dog, so in your position I'd take her.

Their policy was lifelong, best that you could get at the time but from what I remember, they only paid a lot smaller percentage once the dog reached 9 years - I'm thinking it was maximum of a half and possibly a third

christmasoompa Nov 30th 2015 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11805187)
Their policy was lifelong, best that you could get at the time but from what I remember, they only paid a lot smaller percentage once the dog reached 9 years - I'm thinking it was maximum of a half and possibly a third

Just checked my policy (in a panic - our dog is 9!), and nope, it's up to the full amount each year, reinstated upon renewal, no reduction once the dog reaches any age.

Paul_Shepherd Nov 30th 2015 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ciderdrinker (Post 11804615)
Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to ship a medium sized dog (Labrador) over from London to Vancouver?

We're trying to decide whether it's best to bring our 10 year female lab over when we emigrate next year or leave her in the care of my dad, who's also in his early 70s, in the UK. While she has a lovely temperament, and we are incredibly fond of her, I'm not sure how she would cope with the flight. She isn't a nervous dog but shakes at buzzers and bells!

The other consideration is ease of renting. From what I've seen it would make it much harder to find somewhere.

It's real heart versus head stuff. Any advice from anyone who's been there and got the t-shirt?

I was in a very similar situation when i was due to move. Sadly my dog passed away before i did so I didnt have to make that decision.

However if id had the option you have, i would leave him with your Dad, 10 years old for a labrador is getting up there, and I dont think he would cope with the stress well at this time in his life.

It will be very tough for you to leave him, but it would be the best thing for the dog and im sure your Dad would appreciate the company too.