Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go?

Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go?

Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Dilemma - Should she stay or should she go?

I would wait and see. You'll have plenty to do without the worry of also looking after the dog. Get settled in first and then see how you feel about bringing her over later - if at all. Moving can be very stressful. It will be stressful for the dog and she will also pick up the slightest whiff of stress on your part as well.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

ciderdrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses from you all - I very much value your opinions on this subject. Selling my house and business were easy compared to working out what's for the best with regards to the dog!

Having discussed it previously with my dad we spoke this evening and he's still keen to have her so we're going to give her a trial weekend away in a couple of weeks before committing on both sides.

Thanks again. I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Left my tortoise with an adopter as I thought it would be too cold. had him since i was 5 years old, very sad day

Ali Baba and Fatima (Tunisian Tortoises) were adopted by a 7 or 8 year old boy when we moved here. I then bought two Sulcata's (Starsky and Hutch) a few years ago, having been given the incorrect information, I sold those two to someone that knew what he was doing with the giant tortoises. A couple of years ago, Sidney was given to me by a lovely poster on here, I will take him wherever I go now, I can't give him away, my daughter knows she will inherit him. He may be lucky enough to get a lady friend when we eventually decide where we are off too

OP we have decided if we are to return to the UK we will go by Queen Mary and book the dogs in the kennels and sail rather than fly, I should imagine Sidders would have to be posted. Eek.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm in the camp that you should take your dog.

I believe that a flight is way less stressful in the long run to being left with someone else. Yes she may know your dad well but wouldn't she be waiting for you to come back?
Old Dec 17th 2015, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

MapleLite is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my dog with me from LGW to YVR three years ago - Transat were amazing. I was so worried about bringing him - he was 9 at the time - but he was fine. I spent three months crate training him so he was very happy to be in the crate by the time we left. It was a very upsetting flight - I was worried the whole time he'd died - but he was FINE. He adores life in Canada and I would have been desperately miserable without him. It's easy to find pet-friendly accommodation via Craigslist and although it's NOT a pet-friendly country (can't take em on transit, in shops, in pubs etc.) it's totally worth it. I'd say do it. If you love your dog and he's part of your life yes, yes, yes., do it.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience, having a pet and looking to rent makes it more difficult and expensive in an already tough rental market, you will be charged additional security deposits for your pet , if you manage to find a landlord that will allow one. There's the cost of the additional vaccinations you will require (Rabies) and the fees, proper animal crates for the airlines, inspections at the airport and fees when you arrive.
Not wanting to seem mercenary, but at 10 years old, your dog may pass-on at any time. If money is no object for you then go for it, but bear in mind you may fork out all of these expenses and the dog may not be with you for very long.

An aspect I would mention is the wildlife in Canada is a bit more likely to eat your pets than back home. An animal not brought up here may not be as likely to survive an encounter than a home grown one, especially an older one. If your dog is going to be a house pet, this won't matter so much.

I brought two young cats over with me, one didn't survive more than 6 months here and was killed by local fauna, the other one is smarter and is still with us.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 1:52 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with Eddmac- Stinky on his first night here, in Vancouver met a family of skunks and raccoons in Stanley park- thankfully he was on a lead and didn't become even more stinky than usual!
Since being here he has encountered black bear in his garden which he wasn't happy about, hoary marmots, raccoons, and then has wrangled on separate occasions with rattlesnakes... Stinky isn't very bright! thankfully he didn't spot the black widows
In UK he had rabbits and deer to confront him although he regularly got bled dry by ticks although never complained of Lymes disease!