British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   dog arriving at calgary what happens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/dog-arriving-calgary-what-happens-565333/)

Anita100 Oct 5th 2008 6:01 pm

dog arriving at calgary what happens

Hi All
Has anyone landed at calgary with their dog on the same flight? What exactly happens, where do we pick him up from? our dog is going cargo. Can we collect the dog then pick the crate up later/another day. If anyone can tell me exactly what happens I will be grateful. thanks

pinkmcfarquhar Oct 5th 2008 6:36 pm

Re: dog arriving at calgary what happens

We didn't arrive on the same flight, a couple of days earlier. We just went to the Air Canada cargo office at the airport, waited until customs etc checked dogs over and checked paperwork. Then just took them away in their kennels. Airport would have been happy enough for use to leave kennels, but that might vary from place to place.

There is another thread on this as well with some more info from other people which might help.

Butch Cassidy Oct 5th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Anita100 (Post 6847036)
Hi All
Has anyone landed at calgary with their dog on the same flight? What exactly happens, where do we pick him up from? our dog is going cargo. Can we collect the dog then pick the crate up later/another day. If anyone can tell me exactly what happens I will be grateful. thanks

Didnt fly in to Calgary, but at Toronto the dog was with the oversized luggage being talked to by airport staff.

Silverdragon102 Oct 5th 2008 8:08 pm

Our dogs came out 4 days after us and we had to go to customs first and get paperwork signed off and pay any fees and had to wait for them to complete the paperwork. Then had to go to cargo to collect them and again pay some more.

Almost Canadian Oct 5th 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Anita100 (Post 6847036)
Hi All

We flew into Calgary on the same flights as our dogs and our dogs flew "cargo" rather than "excess baggage". This is what happened:

We went through border and immigration control and were processed. The dogs were taken to the cargo area, about 10 mins drive from the terminal but within the vicinity of the airport (but one hellava walk away!).

We then had to go to the cargo area to pick up the paperwork for the dogs (we were not allowed to see them at this time, although we could hear and see them through a glass window from the office we attended.

We then had to go back to the airport terminal and produce the paperwork to the customs people, get it checked over, stamped and pay a fee.

We then took the paperwork back to the cargo area and our dogs were then released to us. The crates belonged to us and we could have done as we pleased with them. I guess you are asking about this as you do not have the space to transport them. Whether you are able to leave them or not will depend upon the operators of the cargo office and you will need to speak to them. The cargo area is basically a hanger and there were no real doggie facilities there at all. Our paperwork informed us with we had to collect the dogs within 2 hours (I forget the exact amount of time) of our plane landing.

HTH

Anita100 Oct 6th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 6847463)
We flew into Calgary on the same flights as our dogs and our dogs flew "cargo" rather than "excess baggage". This is what happened:

We went through border and immigration control and were processed. The dogs were taken to the cargo area, about 10 mins drive from the terminal but within the vicinity of the airport (but one hellava walk away!).

We then had to go to the cargo area to pick up the paperwork for the dogs (we were not allowed to see them at this time, although we could hear and see them through a glass window from the office we attended.

We then had to go back to the airport terminal and produce the paperwork to the customs people, get it checked over, stamped and pay a fee.

We then took the paperwork back to the cargo area and our dogs were then released to us. The crates belonged to us and we could have done as we pleased with them. I guess you are asking about this as you do not have the space to transport them. Whether you are able to leave them or not will depend upon the operators of the cargo office and you will need to speak to them. The cargo area is basically a hanger and there were no real doggie facilities there at all. Our paperwork informed us with we had to collect the dogs within 2 hours (I forget the exact amount of time) of our plane landing.

HTH

thanks, thats realy helpful, sounds like a bit of going backwards & forwards then. yes we were wondering how to get the crate in the car with everything else, hopefully we can go back for it.

Sophie Dutch Oct 6th 2008 9:06 am

Would you advise to first pick up the car and then pick up the dog? We will be travelling with three kids (incl a toddler and a baby). Is this even possible?

Almost Canadian Oct 6th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sophie Dutch (Post 6848697)
Would you advise to first pick up the car and then pick up the dog? We will be travelling with three kids (incl a toddler and a baby). Is this even possible?

We had a rental and our realtor met us at the airport and transported our dogs to our house in her minivan (we took possession of the house that day). Without a car you will struggle as the cargo area is some distance from the airport terminal.