Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does the the visa officer check with my previous employer?All experts,please advise.

Does the the visa officer check with my previous employer?All experts,please advise.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Jacob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the the visa officer check with my previous employer?All experts,please advise.

I have included my reference letter from my previous lawyer in my application for independent immigration. Lately,I just learned that my former company has stopped its operation shortly after being taken over by a hostile competitor. So, the phone number and address of my company are no longer valid. If the visa officer is going to contact my former employer,they won't find anything. So, what I am supposed to do in this situation.

All experts,please advise?
Old Aug 9th 2002, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point

you could let the visa office know who the present owner is along with an explanation of the fact that the person you were working for was taken over.

and even if the company no longer exists, companies are required by law to maintain records of their employees, past and present. even if your past employer dosnt exist anymore, the current owner should have records of you working there.

in the worst case scneario, if there is no trace to verify your claims, then you are pretty much screwed on that front, if the visa office decides to check, and cant find anything, then your overall credibility suffers, and other facts you presented on your application become questionable.
Old Aug 9th 2002, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Default Thank you very much. What about I ask my former supervisor to write a letter?

Bighead,thank you very much for the advice. Do you think it's a good idea to ask my former supervisor to write a letter to explain the situation? What about getting some proof from Human Resource department of the company who took over my former company?

My reference letter is in official company letterhead, with my former company's official stamp and my supervisor's signiture. Would this do something good to reduce visa officer's suspicion?
Old Aug 9th 2002, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

in my opinion, all the things you listed will definately help
Old Aug 9th 2002, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks a lot for your reply.

Thanks a lot for your help. Could you also take a look at my another question?

It is as below:

I am currently a student studying in Canadian university and working as teaching and research assitant as my part-time job. Before I got enrolled in the study program,I have worked in two companies. I quited the first one after a year and worked for the second one for three years. So, I submitted reference letters from my current university employer and the employer I worked for(for three years) before I took the study program as my present and previous work experience reference letter. Is it correct? Notably,I won't gain any more points by proving I have more than three year's working experince with my work category under the old regulation. Besides, it's hard for me to get a reference letter after losing contact with my first employer for almost four years.
Old Aug 9th 2002, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

you still have to provide them with details of everything you did on a month by month basis since your 18th birthday. if you claim you were working during any period of your life from when you turn 18, points or no points, the visa office may ask for references. if you were studying, then you need to provide transcripts, letters of enrollment etc. you specifically have to state on a month by month basis if you were unemployed.

if you havnt already sent in the references along with your application, they may ask for it later, or even require an interview to clarify that segment of your life, unless you can preempt it with sufficient paperwork so as to put their questions to rest.

again, bottom line... the more paperwork you send them (relavant ofcourse) the better your chances of clearly explaining and putting across to a visa officer your profile, and the better your chances of an interview waiver.