Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does Canada = Utopia?

Does Canada = Utopia?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Canada = Utopia?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think the climate varies very much between Maine and New Brunswick, Ohio and Ontario, Montana and ..., well you get the idea.

Canada has universal healthcare and gay marriage, I don't belittle those differences, but what else? Canada and the US are equally engaged in attempts to subjugate foreign populations, they both indulge religionists (Ontario and Utah stand out as rare places where religion and education are confused), they're both societies in which big business dominates the political agenda. Differences are subtle indeed.

Apart from the two above, I think the main difference is that in Canada the music industry is subject to government regulation and that results in some truly awful noises emerging from the radio.
I suspect we are both painting with a pretty broad strokes Dont you have satellite radio anyway?

For a poster in Nevada the weather contrast might be noticeable? If there is a Nevada like climate in Canada I have to admit I haven't noticed it.

I dont think canadian politicians are influenced by the religious right nearly as much, and the military budget and priority is not in the same league here as in the US, remember Canada is only responding to a UN resolution in Afghanistan, our politicians saw Iraq for what it really was. Generally Canada has a more permissive "live and let live" view on most things, but as you say, there is probably at least as much variation on a state to state or province to province basis as there is country to country.

Are you on about the catholic schools again? The catholic schools in Ontario are not compulsory, and the religious component does not seem to dominate in the case of my childs education at least, although shes only in grade 2 and that's just one school, I cant speak for the rest. I am not sure if the province shouldnt fund all religious based schools, or none of them... but as you know the catholic schooling option is all wrapped up in the history of confederation or something anyway....

Last edited by iaink; Feb 3rd 2010 at 1:29 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I suspect we are both painting with a pretty broad strokes Dont you have satellite radio anyway?
Yes, but while I was using rental cars I was exposed to Canadian broadcasting.

For a poster in Nevada the weather contrast might be noticeable? If there is a Nevada like climate in Canada I have to admit I haven't noticed it.
Granted.

I dont think canadian politicians are influenced by the religious right nearly as much,
I would say that Stephen Harper and Jason Kenney pretty much define the religious right.

and the military budget and priority is not in the same league here as in the US, remember Canada is only responding to a UN resolution in Afghanistan, our politicians saw Iraq for what it really was.
The UN resolution is, in my view, smoke and mirrors. Canada has troops in Afghanistan so as to allow the US to concentrate on Iraq. Regardless, in either country it's usual for poor redneck youths to die overseas, leading to an unpleasant "support our troops" right-wing undercurrent among the unhyphenated population. The jingoistic glorification of the military is a similarity between Canada (at least rural Canada) and the US (at least the rural US) not a point of difference.

there is probably at least as much variation on a state to state or province to province basis as there is country to country.
I think so. Vertical bands again, Alberta like Texas, NB like Maine, yadda, yadda.

Are you on about the catholic schools again?
Yes, just trying to preempt any argument that religion has more influence in the US. Discrimination on the basis of religion is generally illegal in the US but government policy in Ontario. Polygamy is nominally illegal in both countries but tolerated in AZ and BC. Bad as each other.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

The UN resolution is, in my view, smoke and mirrors. Canada has troops in Afghanistan so as to allow the US to concentrate on Iraq. Regardless, in either country it's usual for poor redneck youths to die overseas, leading to an unpleasant "support our troops" right-wing undercurrent among the unhyphenated population.
Hmmm... regardless of how you see it, before the current situation in Afganistan I certainly wouldnt say its "normal" for canadian troops to die overseas in significant numbers, and "support our troops" is not a right wing agenda! You know, the whole point of support out troops is that its the troops, not the war that you support! I support the troops, and Im hardly Right wing!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Ah you are in healthy BC, I have never seen fruit and veg in a wal-mart in manitoba or alberta
There are approximately 20 Wal-Mart Super Centres in Alberta, none in Manitoba.

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-Storefi...=1265210996002 not sure this will come up with the list of Alberta stores or not, but it's worth a try.

Super Centers sell a complete range of groceries including fruit and veg.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BenNv
Hey there! I just want to get a opinion from brits living in Canada if it's really the Utopia it seems to be! I moved to America 5 years ago and go to Canada often on business and i'm always stunned at how much of Canada is nicer than the states despite the obvious similarities! Thanks guys
Ok, a little more info is required here. What stunning differences have you noticed between US/Canada? On your trips up here, have you noticed that people are dancing in the streets or something?

Main difference for me is that there is better social security up here than the US, less crime too, but everything is way more expensive. Differences are pretty subtle IMO.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Nowhere = Utopia

Everywhere has good and bad and in terms of my own existence, the good in Canada outweighs the bad (that's why I intend to remain).
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there! I just want to get a opinion from brits living in Canada if it's really the Utopia it seems to be! I moved to America 5 years ago and go to Canada often on business and i'm always stunned at how much of Canada is nicer than the states despite the obvious similarities! Thanks guys

Good luck! A good start for your Grail quest, Sir BenNveer, might be this boiler. Maybe ask some [non-Calgary based] Canadians too, as others have suggested.

http://www.historywire.ca/en/post/19601
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:08 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
Good luck! A good start for your Grail quest, Sir BenNveer, might be this boiler. Maybe ask some [non-Calgary based] Canadians too, as others have suggested.

http://www.historywire.ca/en/post/19601
...I think you'd have to agree that the guy was a little to the right of his great grandson.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

The US prides itself on its competitive environment so everyone is a threat. That's why you carry a gun.

In Canada it's more collaborative society. You don't need to carry a gun and you can leave doors unlocked in many places.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:10 am
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point

I go to both Toronto and Vancouver pretty often and also calgary a few times! When i'm there i always like to rent a car and go explore instead of just sitting in my hotel room! Of course i know no place is perfect but whenever i'm in Vancouver or Toronto i can't help but notice there are no ghettos, mostly pristine, educated immigrants, much better enviroment to raise a family and most people seem more wholesome and happy! Of course not without it's flaws Canada truely is a great country and by far one of the best in world for quality of life
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:32 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I go to both Toronto and Vancouver pretty often and also calgary a few times! When i'm there i always like to rent a car and go explore instead of just sitting in my hotel room! Of course i know no place is perfect but whenever i'm in Vancouver or Toronto i can't help but notice there are no ghettos, mostly pristine, educated immigrants, much better enviroment to raise a family and most people seem more wholesome and happy! Of course not without it's flaws Canada truely is a great country and by far one of the best in world for quality of life
you'd better watch this.....not really a dangerous ghetto like many in the US but pathetic all the same:

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2010/02/02/w...ry/#more-16510
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Next time you are in Toronto head for Jane and Finch, or some of the more downmarket bits of Scarborough and see if you still feel the same way!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point

Next time you are in Toronto head for Jane and Finch, or some of the more downmarket bits of Scarborough and see if you still feel the same way!
I will have to check that out! I usually stay in Ancaster when i go to Toronto because i have alot of family there!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... regardless of how you see it, before the current situation in Afganistan I certainly wouldnt say its "normal" for canadian troops to die overseas in significant numbers, and "support our troops" is not a right wing agenda! You know, the whole point of support out troops is that its the troops, not the war that you support! I support the troops, and Im hardly Right wing!
Iaink....thanks for your comments.

Dbd33...what bollocks.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Dbd33...what bollocks.
Thanks. I'm pleased to have them but one cannot really take credit for nature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.