British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   documented needed to come into canada from vacation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/documented-needed-come-into-canada-vacation-904172/)

ShirleyEB Oct 5th 2017 11:52 am

documented needed to come into canada from vacation

We are going home on Monday for our first holiday after being in Canada nearly a year. I know that when i come back we fill out a form on the plane & show passports etc to immigration person. (We have only done this as holidaymakers & on the last occasion we were getting temporary work permits issued as we were coming to live). I was wondering whether we need to bring the actual paper version of the Temporary Work Permit to show the officer when we return?

many thanks

Farmboy1892 Oct 5th 2017 1:10 pm

Re: documented needed to come into canada from vacation

Good luck with your trip home Shirley!!
I will be interested to see the answers here as we will be in the same situation come December.

Speak soon

Regards

Farmboy

suzeandmatt Oct 5th 2017 1:53 pm

If you’re on TWP’s they should be stapled to the inside of your passports. That and a valid ETA are all you need to come and go.
My husband and I have been living in Calgary since January and he leaves the country once a month for work going all over. He just does as I’ve said above and he’s never had an issue.

Have fun!

Engineer_abroad Oct 5th 2017 1:55 pm

I have been asked to show it previously when crossing the border. To be on the safe side I would suggest you take the work permit with you.

Note: for some airports you no longer fill the customs declaration in on the plane. At some airports you know do it on an electronic kiosk (not unlike most check-in machines) when you arrive in the arrivals hall.

Atlantic Xpat Oct 5th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12354278)
I have been asked to show it previously when crossing the border. To be on the safe side I would suggest you take the work permit with you.

Note: for some airports you no longer fill the customs declaration in on the plane. At some airports you know do it on an electronic kiosk (not unlike most check-in machines) when you arrive in the arrivals hall.

Not at St John's. Still customs form on the plane.

CanadianSpruce Oct 6th 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12354304)

If your flying into any of the following airports:
Ottawa International Airport – YOW
Vancouver International Airport – YVR
Terminal 3, Toronto Pearson International Airport – YYZ
Edmonton International Airport – YEG

Everyone uses the new kiosks, you don't need to fill in the customs form (It won't even be handed out)

You can also use the new app (You only need one device) and it lets you fill out all the information before you land (and saves you a lot of time at the kiosk).

ShirleyEB Oct 6th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892 (Post 12354241)
Good luck with your trip home Shirley!!
I will be interested to see the answers here as we will be in the same situation come December.

Speak soon

Regards

Farmboy

thanks Farmboy- A few ulster fries will be consumed! I also hope to call into Stormont and sort the whole lot out lol
I'm sure you are all looking forward to seeing family and friends.

ShirleyEB Oct 6th 2017 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12354274)
If you’re on TWP’s they should be stapled to the inside of your passports. That and a valid ETA are all you need to come and go.
My husband and I have been living in Calgary since January and he leaves the country once a month for work going all over. He just does as I’ve said above and he’s never had an issue.

Have fun!

thanks Suzy and Matt for info. I was off the opinion we should take work permit- beterr to have and not need, as need and not have. -lots of fun will be had. I intend to eat, drink and be very merry. Sure I can detox on my return to Newfoundland!

ShirleyEB Oct 6th 2017 2:15 pm

thanks engineer abroad. It's good to know so there shouldn't be any surprises.

ShirleyEB Oct 6th 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12354304)

still done the old way here then Atlantic Xpat! We will get that coffee rescheduled when I get back (stuffed to the gill full of sausages & then back to Paradise sobeys we go!)

ShirleyEB Oct 6th 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce (Post 12354700)

Everyone uses the new kiosks, you don't need to fill in the customs form (It won't even be handed out)

You can also use the new app (You only need one device) and it lets you fill out all the information before you land (and saves you a lot of time at the kiosk).

thanks Canadian Spruce- though St John's has to catch up on the technology!

Hurlabrick Oct 6th 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce (Post 12354700)

Note that you dont HAVE to use the kiosks. My wifes pr card would not scan and they reluctantly waved us through to a real cbsa agent who asked us the usual questions. They were fairly 'yeah those kiosks are flaky as hell' about it!

ShirleyEB Oct 7th 2017 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12355431)
Note that you dont HAVE to use the kiosks. My wifes pr card would not scan and they reluctantly waved us through to a real cbsa agent who asked us the usual questions. They were fairly 'yeah those kiosks are flaky as hell' about it!

thanks Hurlabrick, but kiosks aren't even an option for us in Newfoundland, but good to know nonetheless

CanadianSpruce Oct 7th 2017 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12355431)

Yeah they are a bit awkward to read the PR cards. picture has to be in the bottom right and face down. Some global entry and APC kiosks in the US (made by the same manufacturer) also have the same issue with US green cards.

discoviking Oct 10th 2017 10:44 pm

I second this. My wife and I have been on TPW's since 2015. They didn't staple ours into our passports, but we always have to show the originals when we return from abroad. We are americans, usually cross by car at Lacolle / Lake Champlain coming back into Quebec from visiting family in the US.