Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle License UK to Ontario

Motorcycle License UK to Ontario

Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:40 am
Just Joined

PortMoresby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle License UK to Ontario

I've just moved to Toronto and have completed the process of switching to an Ontario M (full motorcycle) class license. Given that its a bit of an obscure process, I thought it might be useful to document it here (I found other posts here helpful when I was trying to research what to do). I’m going to assume you’ve done (as I did) some of the basic research on the official websites before you read this.

Before I left the UK, I obtained an 'abstract' (as its called here) of my license information from the DVLA using a form D888/1. It took a few weeks to arrive but it did come in the end.

I then went to a DriveTest centre (in my case Port Union) to obtain an M1 license as the first step.

A note about the DriveTest centre at Port Union. I've been twice now and both times I arrived about an hour before it opened which meant I was first or second in the queue. At Port Union they let people with actual road tests in through a back door early (which we queued outside) and they don't police this very well and so both times someone who had come in the back door (obviously not for a road test) was first to the machine to get a ticket before anyone who had been queuing outside had got in. It was only one ticket but the first time I went it was a couple swapping their US licenses over and it took 45 minutes. There would have been some 40-50 people waiting by 9am - I have no idea how long it takes on average to process but there are only two people serving until around 9am when some more staff come to work.

On the first visit, I had first to swap my car license over (which is a straight swap with no written test) including the eye test and taking the photo. This took a while by itself and meant that I'd handed over my UK license. At this point I had a paper 'G' license. The woman then processed an application for an M1 license (which is the entry-level motorcycle license) and then added my UK riding experience (for which I needed the 'abstract). The motorcycle part of this was a bit new to her and so while it wasn't a problem per se, she did go away and check the process. There was no evidence anywhere of the UK experience and so she told me to keep and bring all of my paperwork whenever I dealt with them.

Once that was done, I went around the corner to 'write' the M1 test which was a series of multiple choice questions done on the PC. It was definitely worth doing some of the practice (M1 specific) tests online - not all of the answers were obvious and some of the road signs are very different. Once I'd passed that, I also received a paper M1 license and was done for this visit.
I then organised to do an M2 Exit Test (which is the ‘Road’ test) with a company called Learning Curves. Again, there was a little explaining to do (the credit for foreign experience means you can skip the getting an M2 license and go straight to the final stage) and so they expect you to have an M2 license and not an M1 license when you do the course. No problem booking in though.

I hadn’t bought a bike yet (because its late in the season and I thought it would be better to wait for next year) and so hired a bike (GTA Exotics). They were very good and although they don’t normally hire to M1 license holders, they were happy to do so once I told them how long I’d been riding for. I hired a bigger bike (Suzuki V Strom) but think I would have been just as happy on a 250 for the test.

The course itself is theory on a Thursday night and then practical on one day of the weekend. It was definitely (in my case) worth doing the course rather than simply booking a road test direct with Drive Test because there’s a of particular stuff that you have to do to pass and I doubt I would have passed without it (with 30 odd years of riding experience). It was a good group and enjoyable day and so no real hardship. There was some explaining again required and the forms assume you have an M2 which meant a bit of crossing out.

Once I’d passed, I got all of the forms and went back to Drive Test. Luckily I had one of the same women from the original day who remembered me and who was super-helpful in pushing it through the system. She evidently had to convince their ‘hotline’ staff to do it. I’m not sure it would have gone as easily had it been someone less determined or knowledgeable. No problem in my case though and after a bit of waiting around, I had a paper license with a full ‘M’ class on it (new plastic to follow).

Overall it was straightforward enough in the end but had a lot of uncertainty in it (lots of phoning and checking) and so I never had complete confidence at any stage. It was definitely a good idea making friends with the Drive Test staff.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 4:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle License UK to Ontario

Now is the best time to buy a used bike. Prices are lower and softer, lots of used inventory and still some riding time left. Winter time, not much inventory, in the spring more inventory, prices higher and firmer.

Buying new, winter is best time, when sales are down and dealers looking to make sales.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

A very timely and informative posting, thank you. Very likely to do the same thing in November myself?
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. As has been said anytime now until about February/March is a great time to buy a bike as people don't want to store them over winter so prices are cheaper - first few signs of warmer weather the other side of winter and prices start rising
Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this!

One thing putting me off is noone seems to filter (lane split) in Toronto. This is half the joy of commuting by motorcycle in London... is it forbidden?
Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Thank you for this!

One thing putting me off is noone seems to filter (lane split) in Toronto. This is half the joy of commuting by motorcycle in London... is it forbidden?
Lane filtering and lane splitting are quite different practices, both risky, one more risky than the other. Both are illegal in Canada. In my view a highly dangerous practice. Would be fine except for cagers!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

SteveJ61 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a really helpful post- thanks.