British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Documentation Required to import a car from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/documentation-required-import-car-uk-905672/)

Sparky-UK Nov 9th 2017 9:46 pm

Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Hi All,
Has any one imported a car into Canada from the UK recently?, please could you let me know what documentation you needed to clear Canadian Customs?
I'm looking to import a classic car as a non running project car, It's listed on my B4 goods to follow and I have the V5 but no receipt of purchase. Is the V5 enough? :fingerscrossed:

Also does anyone know of any car storage facilities in the Ottawa area that will take a non running project car (some require cars to be running when they arrive)?

Many thanks in advance

Former Lancastrian Nov 9th 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Have fun reading these links

Memorandum D19-12-1 - Importation of Vehicles

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...ation-1344.htm

dbd33 Nov 10th 2017 12:30 am

On Tuesday I imported an older British car from the US. I have little tolerance for forms so I paid a customs broker $300 + the form 1 charge (<$30) to make it happen. I should think a customs broker could sort out importation from anywhere.

Sparky-UK Nov 13th 2017 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12378791)

Well that cured my insomnia :lol:
Thanks for the links Former Lancastrian, the car is over 15 years old, so there shouldn't be any problems there. I've got a company in mind for the pre-export cleaning. The only thing is I am having trouble finding the original receipt so I was wondering if the V5 was enough.

Sparky-UK Nov 13th 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12378847)
On Tuesday I imported an older British car from the US. I have little tolerance for forms so I paid a customs broker $300 + the form 1 charge (<$30) to make it happen. I should think a customs broker could sort out importation from anywhere.

thats a good tip many thanks, did the broker ask you for any of the cars documents?
I'm having trouble finding the original receipt.

dbd33 Nov 13th 2017 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK (Post 12381434)
thats a good tip many thanks, did the broker ask you for any of the cars documents?
I'm having trouble finding the original receipt.

Yes. I used a shipping company to pick the car up in Florida and they subcontracted the customs broker. The documents they required were:

- Bill of Sale marked "Paid in Full" with the price paid, that was for the tax calculation which I suppose would not apply to goods to follow as they're not taxable.

- Title signed over to me. Again I think this wouldn't apply as you'll have a proof of ownership document, the V5.

- NAFTA letter, a standard letter having to do with parts made in Mexico. It looked to me as if it didn't apply but I signed it anyway.

Other cars I've imported required a letter from the maker stating that all recalls had been satisfied but this one was "RIV exempt" for being more than 15 years old. Note that the car is now here but I haven't attempted to get plates for it yet, that may be a new adventure in bureaucracy.

What type of car are you importing?

Sparky-UK Nov 14th 2017 12:13 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12381445)
Yes. I used a shipping company to pick the car up in Florida and they subcontracted the customs broker. The documents they required were:

- Bill of Sale marked "Paid in Full" with the price paid, that was for the tax calculation which I suppose would not apply to goods to follow as they're not taxable.

- Title signed over to me. Again I think this wouldn't apply as you'll have a proof of ownership document, the V5.

- NAFTA letter, a standard letter having to do with parts made in Mexico. It looked to me as if it didn't apply but I signed it anyway.

Other cars I've imported required a letter from the maker stating that all recalls had been satisfied but this one was "RIV exempt" for being more than 15 years old. Note that the car is now here but I haven't attempted to get plates for it yet, that may be a new adventure in bureaucracy.

What type of car are you importing?

Thanks DBD33,
Sounds like I might need to keep looking for that receipt :(
Good luck with getting it registered, keep us posted on how you get on!

I'm hoping to import a 1966 VW Type3 Squareback :fingerscrossed:
What toy did you get?

dbd33 Nov 14th 2017 12:23 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK (Post 12381456)
Thanks DBD33,
Sounds like I might need to keep looking for that receipt :(
Good luck with getting it registered, keep us posted on how you get on!

I'm hoping to import a 1966 VW Type3 Squareback :fingerscrossed:
What toy did you get?

Austin-Healey 100/6, see attached.

I would think that you'd only need the receipt to prove that you've owned the car long enough for it to be exempt from import duties, maybe you can do that with the date on the V5.

Is the VW LHD?

Aviator Nov 14th 2017 1:23 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12381461)
Austin-Healey 100/6, see attached.

The '58 from West Palm Beach?

dbd33 Nov 14th 2017 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12381487)
The '58 from West Palm Beach?

Indeed. Did you see it on bat or Hemmings (or somewhere else)?

Aviator Nov 14th 2017 1:35 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12381489)
Indeed. Did you see it on bat or Hemmings (or somewhere else)?

If it is the same one, it was at Torque, nice car.
Enjoy, maybe a bit more enjoyment in the summer though.

dbd33 Nov 14th 2017 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12381492)
If it is the same one, it was at Torque, nice car.
Enjoy, maybe a bit more enjoyment in the summer though.

Yes, that's the car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...00-6-roadster/

and, yes, it's ill suited to the winter. Maybe I should be going where the weather suits my cars.

Atlantic Xpat Nov 14th 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12381497)
Yes, that's the car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...00-6-roadster/

and, yes, it's ill suited to the winter. Maybe I should be going where the weather suits my cars.

Oh that's an interesting website. I fancy this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ruiser-fj40-2/

dbd33 Nov 14th 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12381770)
Oh that's an interesting website. I fancy this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ruiser-fj40-2/

We did recently bid on a truck there, not that one. The auction ended RNM but I haven't yet tracked down the seller. My experience with the Land Cruiser has rather put me off Toyota trucks, it was a very expensive way to be cold in a car.

Atlantic Xpat Nov 14th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12381835)
We did recently bid on a truck there, not that one. The auction ended RNM but I haven't yet tracked down the seller. My experience with the Land Cruiser has rather put me off Toyota trucks, it was a very expensive way to be cold in a car.

Yes, the irony of buying a classic 4x4 is of course one wouldn't dare use it in winter because the salt would destroy it in no time at all.