Reload this Page >

Doctors and medical records

Wikiposts

Doctors and medical records

Old Jul 11th 2005, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

HEL1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctors and medical records

Hopefully we are in the final stages of selling our house (5th time lucky?) and are sorting out bits of paper to take with us for our new life. How have you all found registering with doctors? what information did they want? Is it worth getting print outs of our UK medical records to take over?

We are aiming for west of EDmonton around Stony Plain. can anyone recommend a GP? I take a migraine preventative tablet which I will need to carry on with so will need to see a doctor fairly soon after arrival or can anyone advise how the pharmacies work with prescription medicines?

Many thanks for any info!

HEL
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doctors and medical records

Hi there i was just wondering the same thing, we arrive in Moose Jaw sk in 4 weeks and not sure if i should be taking any medical records with us any advice would be gratefully received
michelle
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doctors and medical records

I can only comment on Ontario. The provinces manage their own healthcare systems so there might be slight differences.

Three months after I arrived, and had become eligible for coverage under the provincial health plan, I simply found a doctor and asked to go on his patient list. I think that perhaps I was asked if there were any medical conditions I wanted to bring up, but other than that nothing. Prescriptions work the same as in the UK. They are pricey, though; some companies offer drug insurance as a perk.

Ontario (and probably other provinces) also have walk-in clinics. These are good if you don't want to have to make an appointment and wait a few days. I've been to them more often than my own GP.