Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I can't argue with any of your post. Each person's experience is equally valid. Sorry if I read your post the wrong way.

PS we've only had snow on the ground fro a week or so in Vancouver and I'm sick of shoveling it already.
No probs Jon. Hey, no wonder you're sick of it...you've had loads of the stuff...more than us!! Not to worry...it'll soon be gone and you'll be back to the rain and grey
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
What's wrong with that?

I wish we'd have had somebody tell/warn us about certain aspects of Canadian life before we moved here. Especially from a Brit who would have told it how it is as opposd to a Canadian who, on the whole, tend to "put up and shut up".
Would have saved us a lot of money and stress.
I agree, though I did read some stuff on here, just chose to ignore it.

The Canadian glass half full mentality is fine when you are here on holiday, but when it means that they are happy with half measures and don't make any attempt to improve things, or to complain, then after a short while it's infuriating.

Please excuse the mixed metaphors.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:58 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Life is mostly the same cycle of stuff.
  • Go to work to earn money, or get money in some way
  • Spend money on food, housing and other stuff (chainsaws etc)
  • Relax with family in a safe environment
  • Go to work to earn money or get money in some way

The difference is made up by how you chose to spend your money, different people have different priorities.
  • For some it is to have goat's cheese on the ciabatta open sandwiches with sun dried tomatoes,
  • and others it is a slab of cheddar with pickle on a crusty fresh slice of bread.
  • Some choose to partake in different levels of alcohol and other legal drugs.
  • Choose a place / type of holiday that suits your circumstances and enjoy relaxed and safe time with your family.
  • Put some money aside for when you are old and not able to get money.
The country of residence provides some structures and different opportunities to spend your money in different ways. If you pine for the cultural delights of London (UK) with its galleries, museums, theatres etc you have to put up with having little time available to take advantage of them, plus they take alot of your money and you just might experience a little unsafe feeling when walking back to the .... car/station etc

The point of this post is to say. There is no utopia so dont expect Canada to be it. Canada provides different opportunities to spend your money in different priorities / ways and in a relatively safe environment (I know there are nasty bits where it isnt safe, but you decide to live there). I hear / see people posting about how nice they now think the UK was.... well all I can say is "take off the rose tinted specs and get back to reality, where ever it is".
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:14 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

I have Uk friends out here and its great - I also have Canadian friends out here and its also great. If I hear a Uk accent in a shop I dont go out of my way to speak to them, but if the opportunity arises I will. Its nice to meet people wherever they come from, if the accent is an icebreak thats great - you dont like the person its hardly likely you will meet again.
Hearing a UK accent at the moment is quite comforting - we have only been here 3 months - in a few more months or years it may not have quite the same inpact, though I cant see myself running in the opposite direction when I hear one ever.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry...it'll soon be gone and you'll be back to the rain and grey

And you won't?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Not to worry...it'll soon be gone and you'll be back to the rain and grey

And you won't?
Yeah....bring it on
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:38 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine makes you happier (plus produces lots of Vitamin D) One thing I hated in the UK was the almost constant cold grey damp weather for much of winter. One of the reasons we chose Fredericton NB was down to weather. Today is -2c and sunny

However we love the feeling we get when we have one of our rare cold grey drizzly days
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Sunshine makes you happier (plus produces lots of Vitamin D) One thing I hated in the UK was the almost constant cold grey damp weather for much of winter. One of the reasons we chose Fredericton NB was down to weather. Today is -2c and sunny

However we love the feeling we get when we have one of our rare cold grey drizzly days
Well I must have slipped through the net with all those scientific tests!! Yes we get so much sunshine here in Red Deer, but I've had the worst bout of depression in my life for the past 2 winters and after 3 different brands of anti-depressants and counselling, I've given up! Even my fellow Canadian friends all admit that winters here are mentally supressing! The UK might have a lot of grey days, but I was able to do way more there compared to spending 3 weeks locked in with cabin fever with -20's outside holding us back

I honestly think it's a case of horses for courses....some folk welcome the snow and winter months and feel a sense of euphoria.....I don't - I find it loathesome. I see no fun whatsoever walking in it, driving in it or playing in it....but there again, I am depressed and extremely negative
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I
I must say I'm a little perturbed about those on here who say they "keep their heads down" or "run a mile" when they hear an accent from back home.
Are you ashamed or something?
Disgraceful.
I'm one of those that said I keep my head down. Not because I'm ashamed but because, if I'm in the supermarket and I hear another English accent, it generally belongs to another busy Mum trying to get the weekly shop done, just the same as if I hear French/Spanish or whatever, it's just people going about their daily lives.

However if I'm walking Henry and come across someone walking their dog and we say Hi! And the reply is in an english accent then of course I will chat. It's how I met one of my very good friends here. One of the other ladies crosses the road when she sees us commingI don't think she realises my dog and her dog have met before and I think she thinks my dog will eat her dog.(it's either that or she runs away from the crazy english lady that lives on the corner with all those cars.........)
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Well I must have slipped through the net with all those scientific tests!! Yes we get so much sunshine here in Red Deer, but I've had the worst bout of depression in my life for the past 2 winters and after 3 different brands of anti-depressants and counselling, I've given up! Even my fellow Canadian friends all admit that winters here are mentally supressing! The UK might have a lot of grey days, but I was able to do way more there compared to spending 3 weeks locked in with cabin fever with -20's outside holding us back

I honestly think it's a case of horses for courses....some folk welcome the snow and winter months and feel a sense of euphoria.....I don't - I find it loathesome. I see no fun whatsoever walking in it, driving in it or playing in it....but there again, I am depressed and extremely negative
We get a few days of snow a year here, and rarely gets below minus numbers also.If Red Deer is so cold you can move ,our new neighbours have just moved because they got fed up with the Calgary winters.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kastan
We get a few days of snow a year here, and rarely gets below minus numbers also.If Red Deer is so cold you can move ,our new neighbours have just moved because they got fed up with the Calgary winters.
After all the moving we've done in the past 5 years, and the financial predicament we're in now, there is no way we could do any more moving. Besides, we were in BC for 6 weeks in 2005 (Nanaimo, Campbell River, Chilliwack & Abbotsford)...the latter appealed more to us but my OH just wouldn't get his head together and make a decision or commitment to settle there. And unfortunately, I wouldn't ever live on The Island as my OH's whacko b@st@rd brother lives in Campbell River and ANYWHERE in BC is just too damned close to him
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:30 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray

Try taking a Vitamin D supplement 1000ui tablets.

They may help without the drugs, plus there is alot of evidence they reduce the risk of Cancer and boost the immune system too.

BTW the current recommended daily dose is based on stopping you getting rickets and the literature / papers I have read have pointed to 1000ui as being safe from side effects. I have been taking it for the last 18 months and I havent had a single cold even when all around me are down with raging strep throat!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

They may help without the drugs, plus there is alot of evidence they reduce the risk of Cancer and boost the immune system too.

BTW the current recommended daily dose is based on stopping you getting rickets and the literature / papers I have read have pointed to 1000ui as being safe from side effects. I have been taking it for the last 18 months and I havent had a single cold even when all around me are down with raging strep throat!
Do you take it in addition to multi vitamins or just on its own?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's funny you should mention taking Vit D...my counsellor advised me the same yesterday, in addition to buying a special lamp aimed for those with S.A.D.....It's worth giving them a go. Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm one of those that said I keep my head down. Not because I'm ashamed but because, if I'm in the supermarket and I hear another English accent, it generally belongs to another busy Mum trying to get the weekly shop done, just the same as if I hear French/Spanish or whatever, it's just people going about their daily lives.

However if I'm walking Henry and come across someone walking their dog and we say Hi! And the reply is in an english accent then of course I will chat. It's how I met one of my very good friends here. One of the other ladies crosses the road when she sees us commingI don't think she realises my dog and her dog have met before and I think she thinks my dog will eat her dog.(it's either that or she runs away from the crazy english lady that lives on the corner with all those cars.........)
Well it does kind of look like you're taking a black bear cub for a walk eh Piff hahaha

Sorry Henry, you are simply cuddly cute really

Last edited by Ruby Murray; Dec 31st 2008 at 4:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.