Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Old Dec 26th 2008, 1:25 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Expat brits are quite uncommon round our way although there are plenty with Scottish, English or Irish heritage or course.

There are a few of us first generation immigrants who are friends and we all met through BE ............ The Dignans, Stevo/Bellanova and Greenhill - other than them all our other friends are Canadian, or 'from away'.

Being all fairly new to Nova Scotia (Greenhill 4 years, Us 2 years, Dignans 1 year, Stevo/Bellanova 2 months), we all share the common bond of the trials and tribulations of emigrating. We have helped each other get settled and become familiar with the local area, introduced each other to new friends and have an understanding of the emotional upheavel of such a big move.

We all get on great, don't live next door to each other or in each others pockets nor sit slagging off the UK - why would we, it's our homeland? We just have a laugh and enjoy each others company. Networking and settling in quickly is the best start to a new life no matter where you move to.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I will talk to anyone...

If I can think of something to say, I will end up talking to fellow Brits, but then I am just as likely to end up talking to anyone else I come across, esp in supermarket queues.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:52 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Am greatly enjoying the very British inverse snobbery of expat Brits about meeting other Brits. Kind of like a 'I know more Canadians/fewer Brits than you' contest. This can be seen with Brit expats all over the world.

However, gven that this is a forum for British Expats, seems a little ironic?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

bowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Am greatly enjoying the very British inverse snobbery of expat Brits about meeting other Brits. Kind of like a 'I know more Canadians/fewer Brits than you' contest. This can be seen with Brit expats all over the world.

Great point this site amazes me, that so many post 1000,s of time to slag off and deny where they originate from.

Why if they feel that way about Brits are they even on this site.

However I do except that some if not most of the comments on this site are an attempt to wind up people rather than be constructive.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

bowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond repute

Oh by the way I am an Aston Villa fan, any more of you Villans out there.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish

I don't get that at all. We were asked to explain what we do when we hear a British accent. You can take my response how you want to. I don't avoid all Brits, but I don't run to embrace strangers (with any accent) either.

If you asked me who I choose to spend time with, my answer would be nice, responsible people (with any accent). I would choose not to associate with those whose traits I find obnoxious. By way of example, the sort that would think it was OK to run up debts in one jurisdiction and then simply escape to another jurisdiction to avoid their liabilities.

Associating with people solely because they hail originally from the same part of the world as one does is a little,seems a little odd to me.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Associating with people solely because they hail originally from the same part of the world as one does is a little,seems a little odd to me.
Yes. Except that it's easy conversation, they tend to have the same cultural references.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I keep my mouth shut. I have no desire not to be reminded of the UK, it's the bitching and whining that I don't want to hear. On the whole, I find them way too negative
Think your first response to this topic tells all.

I rest my case.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:32 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bowler
Think your first response to this topic tells all.

I rest my case.
Snobbery at its best LOL
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

There are boatloads (or planeloads) of Brits in Calgary. If I hear a British accent in a supermarket, I might wonder whether they are in fact one of us from BE, but I don't feel great urge to run over and strike up a conversation with them.

In the checkout line-up I might talk to the person waiting behind or in front, but probably regardless of what accent they have.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:48 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't come across any in the whole three - four weeks we have been here. They have probally seen my mug on here and run the opposite way.

Would I speak to them, of course I would, but I'm one of those people that speaks to any Tom, Dick or Harry.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I work in retail and we get a lot of Brits in. Generally we have a chat - if they've not been in before it's the usual "how long", "why" and "where"; the regulars - we talk about general day-to-day stuff. Very few Brits don't give you the time of day round here once they realise where you're from (ie - when you start talking).

I must say I'm a little perturbed about those on here who say they "keep their heads down" or "run a mile" when they hear an accent from back home.
Are you ashamed or something?
Disgraceful.

Most of my friends here are either British or anglophiles - that's just the way it's worked out. Most Canadians don't "get" me - my sense of humour particularly - whereas those with a British background, whether it be parentage, they're immigrants or they just have a love of English literature, British history, TV, etcetera, do.

I spend my time with them slagging off Canada, its "culture" and citizens and then we get drunk and go out and start fights at taxi ranks...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I work in retail and we get a lot of Brits in. Generally we have a chat - if they've not been in before it's the usual "how long", "why" and "where"; the regulars - we talk about general day-to-day stuff. Very few Brits don't give you the time of day round here once they realise where you're from (ie - when you start talking).

I must say I'm a little perturbed about those on here who say they "keep their heads down" or "run a mile" when they hear an accent from back home.
Are you ashamed or something?
Disgraceful.

Most of my friends here are either British or anglophiles - that's just the way it's worked out. Most Canadians don't "get" me - my sense of humour particularly - whereas those with a British background, whether it be parentage, they're immigrants or they just have a love of English literature, British history, TV, etcetera, do.

I spend my time with them slagging off Canada, its "culture" and citizens and then we get drunk and go out and start fights at taxi ranks...
Before going for a late night curry and some lagers??
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:10 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
The last few days, in two different shops I've heard Brit accents - quite rare for here I think, in fact, I only know of two other people on this forum from the area. So, just wondered, when you come across another Brit - do you strike up a conversation with them, or run past not wanting to be reminded of the motherland?
Yes I talk to them, having only been here for four months, I am still finding things out about the local area, I work on cash in a shop, so I spend my day talking to people.

I am not ashamed of being english and I do not hate the UK, having said that I think there are better opportunities for my children here in Canada.

We have some friends over here that we actually met in the UK through this forum, she is canadian, he is british, they moved out november 2007. We have stayed in touch and try to visit once a month.

This is not because he is english, it is because we all get on well, I cannot understand why I would want to avoid anyone simply because of what country they were from.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:47 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lots of pictures of the Toyota on the blog. It has big wheels with chunky tyres.

"Capitulation" was intended as a reference to my position here that, in most part of Canada, including where I live, winter tyres may be nice to have but are far from a necessity. I got a set because my tyres were worn out and winter tyres were cheap. It's true to say that, outside of this site and the VW dealer, I've never heard winter tyres mentioned. None of the locals here have them. I saw a car with NWT plates here recently, the polar bear shaped ones, it had all season tyres - something I would never have dreamed of looking at without this site.

Please back up your assertions. with evidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.