Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you need to retake driving test to live and drive in Canada?

Do you need to retake driving test to live and drive in Canada?

Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need to retake driving test to live and drive in Canada?

Originally Posted by geotav
You simply swap your British licence with a Canadian one. I think there's also an admin cost of around $75.

If you do return to the UK, you can then exchange your drivers licence back. I personally would apply for a new British licence so that you can keep the Canadian licence.

Hope this helps.

The cost of exchanging in Canada depends on the Province it's being exchanged in.

You can't 'apply for a new British licence'. If you lie that you lost it, you should know you're doing something very wrong when you're lying to a government agency. If you try to start from scratch applying for a provisional licence, they're going to ask why and what happened.

Considering that the swap in the UK is free, and takes about 5 minutes of your time, people seem willing to go to extraordinary lengths to make their lives harder for no reason or benefit.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geotav
I personally would apply for a new British licence so that you can keep the Canadian licence.
Really bad idea IMHO for the reasons others have stated (not legal).
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co...cence-holders/

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 3rd 2018 at 9:42 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

And in Ontario (probably other Provinces as well) it's an offense to hold 2 licenses.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle25730125/

"A driver may not apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver's licence," says Section 35.1e of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act."
and

"When applying/exchanging for an Ontario driver's licence, the driver must complete an application form which includes 'Have you held a driver's licence outside of Ontario?'" MTO spokesman Bob Nichols said in an email statement. "Under provincial legislation, the penalty for making a false statement may include a fine and/or imprisonment and/or a driver's licence suspension."
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

I recently (eventually) changed mine over in Alberta. Registration place said I could drive on my full UK license for a year then I needed to change it. So I did. Was $22 to change. Took 10 minutes. They took my UK license off me as it’s illegal to hold more than 1 at the same time. Gave me back a photocopy of my UK one so I at least have my driving license number should I ever need to change it back in the UK.
Super simple.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
I recently (eventually) changed mine over in Alberta. Registration place said I could drive on my full UK license for a year then I needed to change it. So I did. Was $22 to change. Took 10 minutes. They took my UK license off me as it’s illegal to hold more than 1 at the same time. Gave me back a photocopy of my UK one so I at least have my driving license number should I ever need to change it back in the UK.
Super simple.
If you were living in AB as anything but a visitor, it is 90 days to change your license. Visitors, SAWP workers and foreign students can drive for 1 year on a foreign license.

If you were on a TWP, or as PR, nine months of that year were driving without a valid license.

https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...-licences.aspx
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
And in Ontario (probably other Provinces as well) it's an offense to hold 2 licenses.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle25730125/

"A driver may not apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver's licence," says Section 35.1e of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act."
and

"When applying/exchanging for an Ontario driver's licence, the driver must complete an application form which includes 'Have you held a driver's licence outside of Ontario?'" MTO spokesman Bob Nichols said in an email statement. "Under provincial legislation, the penalty for making a false statement may include a fine and/or imprisonment and/or a driver's licence suspension."
So I understand this, as has been pointed out many times by a couple of colleagues. BUT say you move to Ontario and already hold 2 international drivers licenses. Which is not an offense in those 2 countries, UK and AU.

You are only required to give up one of them when applying for the ON drivers license.

I did mention at the time of the swap I also had a UK license which was more important to keep, since I only had to exchange one.

Is this still illegal, since I have followed the correct process.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
So I understand this, as has been pointed out many times by a couple of colleagues. BUT say you move to Ontario and already hold 2 international drivers licenses. Which is not an offense in those 2 countries, UK and AU.

You are only required to give up one of them when applying for the ON drivers license.

I did mention at the time of the swap I also had a UK license which was more important to keep, since I only had to exchange one.

How did you come to have both?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you were living in AB as anything but a visitor, it is 90 days to change your license. Visitors, SAWP workers and foreign students can drive for 1 year on a foreign license.

If you were on a TWP, or as PR, nine months of that year were driving without a valid license.

https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...-licences.aspx
Yep, I had read that & that’s what I assumed. I therefore asked at 2 different registration places to clarify (once not long after we got here when getting health cards then again out of curiosity when I changed the license) and each said I was fine on my UK license for a year.
I hadn’t actually driven in that time though- so regardless I wasn’t driving illegally. (Happened to eventually buy a car pretty much exactly a year after we arrived). But that’s what I was told.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The pertinent part is
"(e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence;"
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK67 35:e

You can hold a separate motor cycle license.

It doesn't matter whether it's an offence or not in other countries - you have to abide by the laws of Canada (or in this case, Ontario).

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 4th 2018 at 3:52 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How did you come to have both?
Originally from UK, lived in Melbourne for 7 years. No requirement to surrender your UK license.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The pertinent part is
"(e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence;"
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK67 35:e

You can hold a separate motor cycle license.

It doesn't matter whether it's an offence or not in other countries - you have to abide by the laws of Canada (or in this case, Ontario).

True and I understand that, but I did mention the 2nd license at the time of the swap and they did not ask me to surrender it.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Yep, I had read that & that’s what I assumed. I therefore asked at 2 different registration places to clarify (once not long after we got here when getting health cards then again out of curiosity when I changed the license) and each said I was fine on my UK license for a year.
I hadn’t actually driven in that time though- so regardless I wasn’t driving illegally. (Happened to eventually buy a car pretty much exactly a year after we arrived). But that’s what I was told.
Whomever told you, told you wrong. Won't effect you, but maybe help others. In AB you have 90 days to change from a UK license to an AB license as a TWP, PR or Canadian.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:43 pm

True and I understand that, but I did mention the 2nd license at the time of the swap and they did not ask me to surrender it.
It is up to the individual to comply with the law. Getting caught, 'they did not ask me to surrender it' won't cut it.

When we exchanged there was no reciprocal agreement. Licensing authority noted BC license number on the UK license.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Whomever told you, told you wrong. Won't effect you, but maybe help others. In AB you have 90 days to change from a UK license to an AB license as a TWP, PR or Canadian.
Not quite - anyone moving to AB permanently must change within 90 days (https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...-licences.aspx). So that covers PRs, citizens, Canadians moving inter-provincially. Temporary Workers on agricultural schemes may not (along with students and visitors), Temporary Workers on ordinary permits can choose (Service Alberta: Visitors, Students and Temporary Foreign Workers in Alberta). So eg UK IEC permit holders, it's up to them if they switch or not. But yes, in this instance as a PR, it was 90 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.