Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia!

Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia!

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:25 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia!

Hello All

I've just been browsing jobs in Nova Scotia as we hope to be out there some time next year, but many jobs that look similar to mine or are what I would consider to be general administration jobs seem to want candidates with a degree.

Is this really the situation in Nova Scotia? Is it possible to get a job without a degree or am I looking at going back to school?

Rubie

x
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia!

I seem to remember dbd33 having his say about this, in that it seems to be an area with a highe degree of degree holders. I'm sure there are plenty of people there earning a decent crust without one.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

cdntiger is on a distinguished road

Although I don't have statistics to back it up, having grown up AND gone to university in NS, my perception is there is a relatively large number of degree-granting instutions there in relation to the population size. So yes, lots of degree-holders. Although many of them, like me, leave for greener pastures. I'd say it's a net exporter of educated people.

That's not to say that there aren't jobs that don't require degrees, they just might not be on the job sites. Also, it's an area that is always slightly sluggish, economically speaking....so it's a bit of a buyer's market.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Question Re: Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia!

Originally Posted by cdntiger
Although I don't have statistics to back it up, having grown up AND gone to university in NS, my perception is there is a relatively large number of degree-granting instutions there in relation to the population size. So yes, lots of degree-holders. Although many of them, like me, leave for greener pastures. I'd say it's a net exporter of educated people.

That's not to say that there aren't jobs that don't require degrees, they just might not be on the job sites. Also, it's an area that is always slightly sluggish, economically speaking....so it's a bit of a buyer's market.
Hope you don't mind my asking but why do people leave for "greener pastures"? What is it that you couldn't find in NS that Alberta has offered you.

As we found it so lovely, would be interested to know why so many "Go West". Is it mainly for better job prospects?

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Tracy
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:38 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Hope you don't mind my asking but why do people leave for "greener pastures"? What is it that you couldn't find in NS that Alberta has offered you.

As we found it so lovely, would be interested to know why so many "Go West". Is it mainly for better job prospects?

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Tracy
Yes, mainly for the job prospects. We left NS in 1971 when I got sent to Toronto. We returned, as retirees, in 2001 because the OH is from NS.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Yes, mainly for the job prospects. We left NS in 1971 when I got sent to Toronto. We returned, as retirees, in 2001 because the OH is from NS.
Thanks Simon, thought that was the case. Obviously there are jobs in NS so presumably the pay is better in other provinces.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:44 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Simon, thought that was the case. Obviously there are jobs in NS so presumably the pay is better in other provinces.
Correct. However, housing costs are higher in Ontario, Alberta and BC so it sort of evens out somewhat.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Yes....as Simon says, it's mostly because of job prospects. Most people who leave always have in their minds that they'll make their way back sometime. In my case I thought I would only be away for about 5 years. Turned out to be more like 20...and counting.

But it is such a lovely place.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re:

Originally Posted by Rubie
Do you need a degree to survive in Nova Scotia
x
No - just to get out. Many teachers in Calgary sport the X ring of SFXU.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

In my case it wasn't a pay issue. It was simply that there weren't any jobs in my chosen profession.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdntiger
In my case it wasn't a pay issue. It was simply that there weren't any jobs in my chosen profession.
Thanks for your reply cdntiger, glad you didn't leave because you didn't like it! What profession are you in?

My OH is chief technology officer for a medium sized printing co. in London.

He is just coming to the end of his MBA and we are hoping this will give him a bit of an edge over the competition, especially if they all have degrees! It will also give us the points we need to re-apply.

Found out our current application is probably short 1 point. It's still on the pile at CIC, pre Feb 08. so decided to leave it until we can send in a new one on our lawyers advice.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply cdntiger, glad you didn't leave because you didn't like it! What profession are you in?

My OH is chief technology officer for a medium sized printing co. in London.

He is just coming to the end of his MBA and we are hoping this will give him a bit of an edge over the competition, especially if they all have degrees! It will also give us the points we need to re-apply.

Found out our current application is probably short 1 point. It's still on the pile at CIC, pre Feb 08. so decided to leave it until we can send in a new one on our lawyers advice.
No, certainly didn't leave for that reason. I usually get back to visit every 2 years or so just to recharge those Maritime batteries.

I studied engineer in school and specialized in the field of industrial engineering...also known as manufacturing engineering. There is some call for that discipline there, but not a huge amount.

I hope things work out for you. It's a lovely place to live. Halifax is a great little city.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I seem to remember dbd33 having his say about this, in that it seems to be an area with a highe degree of degree holders. I'm sure there are plenty of people there earning a decent crust without one.
There's a bubble in Halifax, lots of universities and so lots of people with degrees. An acquaintance of mine moved to Toronto as he couldn't be made a store manager for a retail chain in Halifax due to only having an undergrad degree. At one point my daughter worked in a healthfood store in Halifax and was the only person working there without a Masters. I don't suppose it matters in rural NS.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't suppose it matters in rural NS.
No. All you need there to make ends meet is a Bobcat and a flatbed trailer....and possibly the ability to steer around porcupines, if you're so inclined.

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:59 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia's population is less than 1 million people. Both Calgary and Edmonton have more people than NS for example. Per capita NS easily has the most universities in Canada, then you have colleges, community colleges, other post secondary schools, etc.http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/lnknsed.htm

About half the university students are from outside of the province. Most of them do not stay in NS after they finish school. As a result of NS's small population, some local educated folks will leave to find work in their fields where there isn't much demand in NS. But their are also many educated folks that come here to work as well.

NS also has many small communities that dot the coastline that were (are) fishing villages and towns that have lost their main industry after the fishery collapsed. As a result, many blue collar and uneducated folks are forced to work in Alberta and other places because the industry in their home town is no more and the province is too small to find other work in their trades or fields easily. Alberta oil is big money, many oil, construction and trade companies pay a premium and will fly people back and forth once a month or two or whatever.

That being said, if you want to work, there is work. It may not be the job you want at first but if someone wants a job they will get one. Take what you can find and go from there. The NS unemployment rate is less than Ontario's for example, Halifax's unemployment rate is 6% while TO is 10%, Calgary 6.9%, Edmonton 7%, Vancouver 7% all as of July. Of course, the country and world is in the middle of an economic downtown.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/cp-unemployment/

Last edited by Lord Vader; Sep 3rd 2009 at 1:05 am. Reason: stats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.