Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you miss anything?

Do you miss anything?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

lippy will become famous soon enough
Question Do you miss anything?

I wonder what you miss most since leaving?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Sainsburies! I really miss the stuff they have in there. Mind you I find the grocery stores in Toronto still stock a wide variety of items as its such a multi cultural city.

I miss British TV/media.

I miss the buzz of London, Toronto just doesn't have that for me.

I miss the oldness of some of the villages towns, the rich cultural history.

I miss the English Countryside and that damp smell that you get after it rains.

However I don't miss it eniugh to go back for a while.

Int.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

family & friends
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss anything?

Originally posted by lippy
After 20 years not much because the country has changed and is not the way it was when I left.

It's simply a matter of time.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:32 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

proper fish n chips... with mushy peas.... Not coleslaw!

Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

I've been away from Blighty for 5 years now and what I miss mainly are British pubs (especially the olde worlde ones - even when overseas Brit/Irish pubs try and match the lovely Coronation Street decor but it just never works ). I also miss TOTP (although we tune in to the charts on internet radio instead) and miss shopping in Sainsbury's and Tesco's (pigging out on jammy dodgers and chocolate buttons - I know, such a big kid!) I also love the old British cottages that are all slopey with pretty flowers and creeping vines - many U.S. lawns are huge and flat with no landscaping or even fences and really lack character, plus every home interior seems to be an awful shade of beige!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in Toronto for 7 months and......
Going to the local stores for a portion of chips
Eastenders and The Bill
Strong lager
The pound
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:53 pm
mickj

Originally posted by lippy
This always seems to come up every now and then, especially when you meet folks from back home.

You know what, i have been having such a good time, i havent missed much just a few things. Like sausage and a good bacon on a sunday morning (Fry-ups). I miss the cheers effect, you know when you walk into your local bar, and all your freinds are there. I miss having a bartender that knows about football(soccer). I miss playing football for my team although i dont miss playing in the rain week in week out ( Down the Hackney mashes ).

Well...here is my 2 pennies

1. Family.

2. The rain. I'm serious! Obvioulsy I wouldn't want as much as England but sometimes it's actually nice. Ok, so maybe I'm alone on that one.

3. The pubs. The bars are okay here but there's no pubs like England where you can just hang out at your local and chill and feel like you could sit there all day & no one would care.

4. The T.V programs. Nothing beats English T.V

5. Sense of humour. The British understand sarcasm and use it in the best way!

6. The history. Canada is so new! I never really appreciated the history of Britain when I actually lived there but now I love sightseeing and basically acting like a tourist. (I know, it's very sad!)

7. Chocolate! Nothing beats a great bar of English chocolate. Of course you can go to the British store here and buy one for twice the price.

8. The twice a day mail thing. I don't know about the rest of Canada but here in Ontario, you only get one mail a day !

mick

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

quebirder is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mickj

2. The rain.

[QUOTE]

The stuff that means British winters are one endless grey soggy seamless cause of depression. Don't mioss that a bit - blue skies, crisp days and snow are uplifting. Keep your rain - please.

[QUOTE]

5. Sense of humour. The British understand sarcasm and use it in the best way!

[QUOTE]

......... compared to the US, anyone in Canada has a sense of humour but certainly where I have ended up (Quebec) the euro understanding of irony is alive and well. No difference.

7. Chocolate! Nothing beats a great bar of English chocolate. Of course you can go to the British store here and buy one for twice the price.

This just came up on another thread - English chocolate IMHO doesn't actually contain chocolate (read the lable). Give me the bitter 70% real chocolate any time. English chocolate in fact contains so little actual chocolate that the EU tried a few years ago to ban the use of the word chocolate in reference to it.

Personal choice is a strange thing - what I miss is politics with bite and am immensely heartened to see that Canadian politics is finally taking on some of the adversarial characterisitcs of euro-politics. They are all too damned nice here to make it any fun.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:24 pm
mickj

Originally posted by quebirder
This just came up on another thread - English chocolate IMHO doesn't actually contain chocolate (read the lable). Give me the bitter 70% real chocolate any time. English chocolate in fact contains so little actual chocolate that the EU tried a few years ago to ban the use of the word chocolate in reference to it.

Personal choice is a strange thing - what I miss is politics with bite and am immensely heartened to see that Canadian politics is finally taking on some of the adversarial characterisitcs of euro-politics. They are all too damned nice here to make it any fun.

You did read the part in my post that actually said, things that i personally miss? I know about the chocolate contents, and when i was in the UK, i enjoyed chocolate from the continent, especially Belgium.

Thanks for pointing that out though, i don't like arguements

Those things are WHAT I PERSONALLY MISS. Hopefully i made myself crystal clear?

Thanks

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Karib
Been in Toronto for 7 months and......
Going to the local stores for a portion of chips
Eastenders and The Bill
Strong lager
The pound
strong lager? i personally think the beer over here is a lot stronger, 5% is the norm.

i miss being allowed to enter a motorway safely
vimto
live football
salmon spread (i know thats bad)
and yes the bill
1 set of adverts per 1/2 hour programme

more importantly though, what don`t you miss

dog muck on every street/park.....seriously you just dont see it over here
the rain
the M6
`worrying` about your car getting stolen or your house being broken into
Old Mar 4th 2004, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly.. 5% here is the norm..

In the UK you can get Tennants Super, Special Brew 9%.. even cans of xtra strong cider at 7.5%
Old Mar 4th 2004, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Karib
Exactly.. 5% here is the norm..

In the UK you can get Tennants Super, Special Brew 9%.. even cans of xtra strong cider at 7.5%

omg, who can drink that stuff? special brew tastes revolting and has a texture like scotch broth!

beer served in pubs, eg bods, john smiths, carlsberg etc is no more than 4%. the bods over here is stronger about 4.7%
Old Mar 5th 2004, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by citizen
...the bods over here is stronger about 4.7%
I didn't know it was different here, I'll remember that. I introduced one of my Canadian colleagues to Boddingtons and he swears it's the best beer he's ever had.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 9:20 pm
mickj

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I didn't know it was different here, I'll remember that. I introduced one of my Canadian colleagues to Boddingtons and he swears it's the best beer he's ever had.

Am not a drinker myself, but i use to love the advert for that. That lass from manchester, what's her face? She is well fit !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.