Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you lose all the money paid in NI (from UK)

Do you lose all the money paid in NI (from UK)

Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you lose all the money paid in NI (from UK)

Originally Posted by Warwickbowman
I believe that if you're able to move back to the UK temporarily, for 6 months, then your pension will be paid at the current rate, whatever that is, and will remain at this new rate when you move back to Canada. My Mum did this, she moved to Australia in 1999 on a state pension of approx £65, she came to stay with me for 6 months in 2013, she applied to have her pension increased, it went up to about £115 and stayed there even after she returned to Oz.
Did she tell them she had left the UK again?

I have read several times that you get the unfrozen rate when returning to live in the UK but that if the visit is temporary, so is the unfrozen rate.

It may well be that if you move back "permanently" then you get the unfrozen amount and then maybe it remains frozen at that new point if you "leave the UK" again (plans change?) and maybe permanent return is deemed to be six months.

But from 10 minutes googling all I can find are examples of people having it unfrozen for the period they are back in the UK and back to the frozen rate when they leave.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Poor advice on the pensions front was quite normal. I think it probably still is. There are certainly many sharks swimming in these waters.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 7:55 pm
RLR
Just Joined

RLR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need the DWP international desk in Newcastle. I did it old-school with a phone call and mailed forms, but that was about four years ago. The first step was to get approved for Class 2 contributions.
Could you please tell hoe to get approved for class 2 contribution? I called to pension international case worker and to Inland Revenue, they both did not give me clear picture which class I should pay, left for me to make a choice.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

HerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I'm in the right place.

We've newly arrived to Canada, but I am still employed by a British company.
My P85 is done, and processed, so I'm no longer paying PAYE, but they're still taking NI off my salary.
I'm Canadian having lived many years in the UK, and we won't be moving back.
Can I stop paying NI? If yes, how do I do this? Would it be better to pay a voluntary contribution, of a smaller amount as I'm paying Class 1?
Do I get a refund for the amounts I've paid this year, as in Canada I've learned that I'll be paying tax on the NI amount since it's not considered a tax.

Of course, I've tried calling HMRC but they've been too busy and hang up on me. With an 8hr time-difference there's not a great window of time catch them.

Thanks
HM
Old Dec 20th 2018, 4:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ft.com/content/80d4787c-...8-00144feabdc0

From what I have read (I am not a professional) I believe you would only be able to stop playing class 1 contributions if you became self employed but as long as you're employed by the UK company I believe you have no choice but to pay it. I don't believe you are able to get a refund, it's not a tax in the UK. I think your best option is probably to stop working for the UK company (either resign completely or become self employed and invoice them from Canada) and then pay voluntary / class 2 contributions until such time as you will benefit and receive a pension... but I'm sure others will be along to offer their advice.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

HerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.ft.com/content/80d4787c-...8-00144feabdc0

From what I have read (I am not a professional) I believe you would only be able to stop playing class 1 contributions if you became self employed but as long as you're employed by the UK company I believe you have no choice but to pay it. I don't believe you are able to get a refund, it's not a tax in the UK. I think your best option is probably to stop working for the UK company (either resign completely or become self employed and invoice them from Canada) and then pay voluntary / class 2 contributions until such time as you will benefit and receive a pension... but I'm sure others will be along to offer their advice.
No that's really good advice, I wasn't sure what to do. But I have another colleague moving to Canada, who will continue working for our company when she moves too. She's exactly in the same boat so this saves both of us some time. I'll confirm that with HMRC that we are not able to stop paying NI completely but perhaps downgrade my class contributions. Otherwise we'll go self-employed and proceed from there. I can't see it being a problem. Too bad on no refund though, but I wasn't holding my breath. Thank you!
Old Dec 20th 2018, 8:34 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
Could you please tell hoe to get approved for class 2 contribution? I called to pension international case worker and to Inland Revenue, they both did not give me clear picture which class I should pay, left for me to make a choice.
You have to get in touch with the right departments to get information and apply for Class 2 registration. They are:

Future Pension Center:
Telephone number +44 191 218 3600
Email: [email protected]

Newcastle Pension Center (International Group):
Telephone number: +44 191 218 7777
Email: [email protected]

Good luck!