Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you have more time as a family?

Do you have more time as a family?

Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:53 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you have more time as a family?

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Great question though - and one which has always confused the heck out of me! Longer working hours, longer commutes, barely any vacation time = better quality of life??

Perhaps, it's a figment of people's imagination?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

well, i`m not going to harp on this for long as it is off subject. however, i will say this.... i dont know who is more irresponsible .... you for expecting your employees to answer the phone while driving and then sacking the poor sod when he doesnt pick up , or your employee who after being fired didnt drag you through the courts!

god forbid that you kill a small child ! or anybody as a matter of fact .. even a beloved pet! :scared:

So you drive, smoke , talk on your cell, go on the internet and change gears all at once? are you driving on the right side of the road too? you mutitasker you!

and i thaught the french were bad!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:31 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zalaben
I think the thing that summed up my opinion of Canadian driving....

was a couple of months ago when my boss had just come back from a holiday in the Riviera…

he complimented the Italians on their standard of driving :scared:

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 19th 2005 at 6:34 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by zalaben
well, i`m not going to harp on this for long as it is off subject. however, i will say this.... i dont know who is more irresponsible .... you for expecting your employees to answer the phone while driving and then sacking the poor sod when he doesnt pick up , or your employee who after being fired didnt drag you through the courts!

god forbid that you kill a small child ! or anybody as a matter of fact .. even a beloved pet! :scared:

So you drive, smoke , talk on your cell, go on the internet and change gears all at once? are you driving on the right side of the road too? you mutitasker you!

All this in a mustang I wonder? Loved your post
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Posidrive
But would moving back to the UK necesserily solve the commuting issue? You were probably very lucky to have such an easy commute before. I don't know which part of the Country you come from, but I am from the South East where either only the fabulously wealthy or the really lucky don't spend a couple of hours a day commuting.

Perhaps the key issue is not purely the quantity of the time but should also take into account the quality as well. I will have an hour each way commute. BUT when I get home in the evenings here I am relaxed and mellow (and a joy for the family to be with). Just before I left the UK I was a completely stressed out wreck when I got home at the end of each day. So, same time but infinitely better quality.

Well yes, for us it would! We still have our house in Guildford (south east) and dh would go back to the same company so same commuting time as before. We are not fabulously wealthy so I guess it makes us really lucky
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:39 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
I got a nasty burn on one thigh when phone, coffee, fag and gear change all required attention at once.
Multitasking = the future.

Rich.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Multitasking = the future.

Rich.

That will explain why jobs are heading to India, the Phillipines and other places then, all in the name of outsourcing?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
That will explain why jobs are heading to India, the Phillipines and other places then, all in the name of outsourcing?
And then we can have even larger salaries when the jobs comes back again because outsourcing doesn't always work
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Does staying later impress bosses in the UK? I always saw it as a sign of someone who was struggling.
i agree....people have got it wrong for years...just as long as u go with, just after the boss but not before!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:48 am
Cowtown

Great question though - and one which has always confused the heck out of me! Longer working hours, longer commutes, barely any vacation time = better quality of life??
I used to run my own business in the UK - now I get shorter hours, a shorter commute and paid vacation - so I'm a much happier bunny.

Weekends here are also work free zones ... that's 100+ days off I never used to get

Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Same weekly hours (40), shorter commute (20mins vs 1h 15m each way), 1 week shorter vacation (4 vs 5) but this rises over time and up to 3 month's unpaid leave per year, of which I'll probably take a month.

Plenty more time with family = better QOL. QED!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:07 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Same weekly hours (40), shorter commute (20mins vs 1h 15m each way), 1 week shorter vacation (4 vs 5) but this rises over time and up to 3 month's unpaid leave per year, of which I'll probably take a month.

Plenty more time with family = better QOL. QED!
Cool. And how long have you been in Canada? Did you walk straight into this situation? If so then you are one of the extremely lucky ones to move from a nice life/job in the UK and pick up an equally lovely one overnight here.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:47 am
Cowtown

If so then you are one of the extremely lucky ones to move from a nice life/job in the UK and pick up an equally lovely one overnight here.
You mean not like us poor buggers who blew tens of thousands scraping by for the first couple of years and earned our continued existence in Canada the hard way??

Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:55 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cowtown
You mean not like us poor buggers who blew tens of thousands scraping by for the first couple of years and earned our continued existence in Canada the hard way??
Yep that's exactly what I mean. Still worth it though .
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Cool. And how long have you been in Canada? Did you walk straight into this situation? If so then you are one of the extremely lucky ones to move from a nice life/job in the UK and pick up an equally lovely one overnight here.
In answer to your question ... 15 months, and no I didn't walk into this situation:

When I landed I looked at the options for 2 months and decided to bring my skills up-to-date for the Canadian market. This entailed investing $20K in a 6 month course and working late in to the night and many weekends to pass the course. I then had a competitive interview (no networking) to get a job on what many would consider a low salary. After my "trial period" of 4 months, I got a permanent job offer and a 100% pay-rise overnight due to my performance and "wide experience".

Oh, and the nice life/job in the UK was earned by hard work too. I came from a normal background, not priviledged or moneyed.

Of course, I could have arrived here and blown that $20K on an SUV, RV, Plasma TV etc, etc. I might have done ahd those things been tax deductible like my course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.