Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you have an improved quality of life?

Do you have an improved quality of life?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Life is what you make it - as already stated a lot of it is like having a clean slate to start off with.

My life has changed no end over here - all for the better - I suppose in the UK I could've changed it that way too but when you have all the familiarity of the same old same old around you, then you don't really have much inclination too.

So yes quality of life has improved - but not BECAUSE I moved to Canada - more because I was removed from the old life and chose to make the new one better
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Life is what you make it - as already stated a lot of it is like having a clean slate to start off with.

My life has changed no end over here - all for the better - I suppose in the UK I could've changed it that way too but when you have all the familiarity of the same old same old around you, then you don't really have much inclination too.

So yes quality of life has improved - but not BECAUSE I moved to Canada - more because I was removed from the old life and chose to make the new one better
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

So while it's ok to say that people just need to change their attitude to life, so maybe a move isn't in order, but just an attitude, it's hard to actually do that because you are still surrounded by everyone else doing the same thing as always, it's well documented that family systems and just return to the state of equilibrium where everyone continues to play a role that they originally had. People don't like change, and sometimes the only way to achieve real change is just to get up and go and change EVERYTHING!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is exactly right. It's the shock of the new. You're forced to reconsider everything and to start again. I fear though that this causes misery and suffering for as many people as it does a new life of bliss.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is exactly right. It's the shock of the new. You're forced to reconsider everything and to start again. I fear though that this causes misery and suffering for as many people as it does a new life of bliss.
In a way it's as though the original pioneering approach is resurrected. Being adventurous, creative and adaptable sets the stage for an agreeable lifestyle.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:45 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

am i the only one with a hugely improved life, emotionally, relationship wise with my wife and daughter, financially and socially, yet still want to move back?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

That does seem a little odd Rae, I have to admit
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:31 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
That does seem a little odd Rae, I have to admit
i know, i have no explanation, i have absolutely nothing to moan about, apart from work, but then that is probably the same for lots of people, certainly plenty of others who have already posted. i have even gotten used to the cold! this is a whole other thread i think, so i'll leave it there.

much better quality of life, but still miserable bugger lots of the time.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 11:49 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
am i the only one with a hugely improved life, emotionally, relationship wise with my wife and daughter, financially and socially, yet still want to move back?
No...........

Although I don't see my move here as a huge improvement, merely a stepping stone along my career
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
In a way it's as though the original pioneering approach is resurrected. Being adventurous, creative and adaptable sets the stage for an agreeable lifestyle.

could not have put it better myself absolutely true for me also
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Being adventurous, creative and adaptable sets the stage for an agreeable lifestyle.
The irony is that anybody can do this anywhere

The bigger irony is that so many move here with that as their focus only to slide into the armchair lifestyle thats the norm for Canadians
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

The bigger irony is that so many move here with that as their focus only to slide into the armchair lifestyle thats the norm for Canadians

rubbish... well it was for me anyway

I had no inclination or motivation in the uK it was live to work and not work to live and totally different attitude from those around me

how can you compare traveling nose to tail on polluted roads with nowt but buildings and chavs to miles and miles of some of the best scenery in the world with zero traffic and nil road rage and thats just one example of a diiferent way of living entirely

yes it would be different in a city agreed but rural Canada gives me everything the Uk can't for my needs
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:58 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

So The Royle Family is not a true depiction of much of UK life?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:28 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by chumley
rubbish... well it was for me anyway

I had no inclination or motivation in the uK it was live to work and not work to live and totally different attitude from those around me

how can you compare traveling nose to tail on polluted roads with nowt but buildings and chavs to miles and miles of some of the best scenery in the world with zero traffic and nil road rage and thats just one example of a diiferent way of living entirely

yes it would be different in a city agreed but rural Canada gives me everything the Uk can't for my needs
I'd agree except every where I lived in the UK was next to great sceanary with a right to roam.
I climbed the hills and walked those dales
I learned to Paraglide in the UK, I went potholing I climbed the cliff faces when I was young

If you didn't get your arse out the city it was nobodies fault but your own

Lived in Nottingham, Cardiff, Burton -on Trent and Banbury
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd agree except every where I lived in the UK was next to great sceanary with a right to roam.
I climbed the hills and walked those dales
I learned to Paraglide in the UK, I went potholing I climbed the cliff faces when I was young

If you didn't get your arse out the city it was nobodies fault but your own

Lived in Nottingham, Cardiff, Burton -on Trent and Banbury
I lived all over the uk in very affluent places and no matter where I went there was no avoiding chavs and traffic

with 60 million folk in an area not much bigger than NS ( NS has under 1 million) then of course what I say is correct

I lived in Lincolnshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Cumbria, Northumberland and many other places I also lived in Nottingham the gun capital of the Uk and Cardiff ( Beirut would have been preferable )

I have never lived in any city in the UK always lived in small villages and hamlets including owning a pub on hadrians wall but still managed to be awash with the great unwashed and surrouned by folk out for themselves making no effort to do anythign for their community

different ethos all together to what I have found in my little corner of Canada

I notice from one of your previous posts mikeuk you state you came to canada to work not stay or integrate so naturally your view is going to be very different than those who want to make Canada our forever home ie the vast majoity of us on here

Last edited by chumley; Feb 28th 2009 at 4:04 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:00 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. There's a real feeling of wiping the slate clean and re-inventing yourself when you move to a new place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.