Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you have an improved quality of life?

Do you have an improved quality of life?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:45 am
  #46  
BE Forum Addict
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: My Utopia Nova Scotia!
Posts: 1,368
chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Hardly so. I myself have had unprotected sex with umpteen people. Other posters have moved to frightening parts of the world, regularly driven drunk, consumed street drugs, fought in wars. Moving from one developed economy to another is a financial risk but not a life threatening risk.

im talking about moving to canada lock stock and barrel with no job no plans and no twp or pr for heavens sake

not risk taking in life generally but from an immigration point of view lordy lordy dbd

but dont agree thats its not just a financial risk for me finance simply does not come into it at all

the risk for me is about a longing to get PR be allowed to stay etc fulffiling my dream etc
chumley is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:10 am
  #47  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,890
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by chumley View Post
im talking about moving to canada lock stock and barrel with no job no plans and no twp or pr for heavens sake

My partner did that. My brother did that. I suppose half the immigrant population of Canada did that. It's not a great risk as the downside is only emotional loss.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:12 am
  #48  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
This is the biggee question really. If emigrating is to be more than just an adventure it has to lead to a better quality of life. To measure that you have to define what quality of life means.

For me it is not about the money and toys (although I realise that without sufficient money quality of life declines very quickly). In the UK we were comfortable financially. We lived in a comfortable middle class town in the Chilterns, I was the boss of a small company so made a comfortable living, we had nice cars, mortgage under control, a pension plan, a couple of holidays on the continent each year (though more Eurocamp than the Ritz). If the move up from a small semi-detached to a 4 bed detached was beyond our reach without a few very good years at work, we were the archetypal comfortable family.

It wasn’t enough, otherwise we wouldn’t be here.
Comparing to now we live in a comfortable middle class city by the sea, I mix self-employment with some paid work but I think the spending power of my earnings is roughly on a par with what I would have had if I had stayed in the UK. We certainly drive cheaper cars, but I think losing the desire to try and impress people with the car you drive is a part of growing up. No one in Canada gives a damn anyway. No one is contributing to my pension plan but we were fortunate to arrive in BC when we did so we rode the boom for all it was worth and that put us in a happy place for retirement savings. The mortgage is under control at current interest rates.

The point of all this waffle? I don’t think my quality of life has changed much from a money point of view.

This next bit is going to be difficult to explain so I’ll have to ask you to bear with me for a while. I find a great deal of correlation between my spiritual state of health and my surroundings. 20 minutes walking my dog along the beach, looking out over the San Juan and Gulf Islands can cure any ill the world throws at me.

This place is stunningly beautiful. Really stunning. Every day I get a buzz from it, some days many times. Even after 10 years I find myself stopping, looking around, and thinking, “Wow, do I really live here”? If life can grind me down, the sea and the mountains will get me back up again.

Yes, there are places in the UK that have a similar effect, the west coast of the Highlands in particular, but I couldn’t go there every day on the way back from work.

I have made some very good friends, simply because I have had the opportunity to meet people who I would not otherwise have come into contact with. In general, people are more polite, friendlier, easier to get along with, and more laid back than their UK equivalents. This also has a significant impact on my quality of life.

Mrs JonboyE can go about her life without the (occasional) overt racism and (insidious) casual racism that is part and parcel of life in the UK. Here she is not an alien, just herself. She has more friends, gets involved in more activities and has a much more positive sense of self-worth than ever before. She is happy, and a happy Mrs JonboyE increases my quality of life by the boatload.

For me, it’s not about material things. Quality of life means being content with your lot, and feeling at home. Wherever that might be.
I got a shiver down my spine when i read this. After 16 years here i feel exactly the same.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, its things that impact your day to day life that count. As is often the case on here, there is no one size fits all. I love it here and feel very privileged to be here (vancouver). I also love my career which i see as more of a bouns. I hated my last job but felt compensated by being here. Plus i only ever had crap low paying jobs in the UK.
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:09 am
  #49  
Thinking the unthinkable.
 
Madmac's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 2,136
Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
So, better then?
Better house, better spending power, better financially, better toys: in short the material gains are better.

Less friends, less social life, less stress, less family time: a mixed bag.

Overall - No worse, no better, just different.
Madmac is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:09 am
  #50  
BE Enthusiast
 
Little D's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Southeast Calgary
Posts: 321
Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

I leave home at 6.30am and get home from work at 5.30. When I lived in the UK I left home at 6.45am and got home from London at 6pm, so not much in it.

My OH and I were both earning alot more in the UK, in fact I'm earning less than I did in 2001. We've found the cost of living in Calgary to be pretty high, and it's not always been easy. I worry about money much more than I used to.

Despite all that, we are pretty well placed for the future. We know that our earning power is going to improve, both of us have had to take a step back and start pretty much at the bottom again.

On the plus side, the reason we came over here was for the outdoors, and quality of life. We love to camp, and we love the feeling of space and how laid back things are here. I may have pretty much the same commute, but it's not the rat race I was used to.

We love it here and think it's been worth it.
Little D is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:19 am
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mistress Miggins's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 536
Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Wow, bloody good question and an interesting read above,

I suppose when I think about it, my personal quality of life doesn't feel like it's improved much at all on one hand when I think from the perspective of the culture I lived in previously, but then, with my new head on, I think my quality of life has improved hugely....

Quality of life here isn't judged on what car I drive, what I wear, weigh or drink at a wine bar on a Friday night. I don't have the same kinds of friends I used to, the ones that you just know will always be there in your life, because they always were (I left numerous 10 - 25 year friendships behind) but the friendships here seem like they could become as meaningful one day so that's pretty much a level playing field when I compare.

Family, I do miss parents, so I find this impacts on my quality of life, I miss my social life and I miss earning over $40 an hour and working in the prisons.

On the other hand...........

My quality of life has improved, because I no longer feel material or asthetic pressure the way I did in the UK. The friendships I have here are numerous and with a really wide range of people, many of whom I would probably have never met in the UK socially if I were to compare. I have friends from all walks of life here, with great educations, outlooks and life experiences behind them.

Could I have gone to an excellent Uni, and have achieved a uni diploma already? Definitely not, so I feel that here, I am able to achieve my full potential educationally, and this was always a stressor for me in the UK, as I felt I could never really be the best that I could be academically, and I felt frustrated at that. So, the quality of life stakes are definitely pro Canada in that case. I have every intention of graduating with a degree in 2011 and a masters in 2013, that would have only been possible through relocation or the OU back in the UK.

My husband and I aren't constantly waiting on a 24 hour standby to move for him to go to Afghanistan or Iraq again, so the knowledge that he's in the same country working on air craft that are maintained excellently and not being shot at, really helps my quality of life.

The fact that I don't drink reguarly to binging proportions helps my quality of life, as does the fact that I have a more positive and healthier attitude to life than I ever have. I have surrounded myself with like minded people who have a very proactive approach to life, and have conciously stayed away from dead weight and negative people, so this has once more tiiped the balance of quality of life to a pro Canada.

But what ultimately gives me my real quality of life, is that I look at my children and I see the opportunities they have here, the lack of danger compared to what they would have experienced here, the much better education, social opportunities and attitude they will grow up with here; just generally the future for them, and it's that that gives me my quality of life. I have often said this move has not been of any great benefit to me, and in fact it's at a high personal cost much of the time, but I truly believe that it's been the right move for the little people who I kissed good night and left snoring upstairs. And as long as I know I have taken every chance I have been given to give them the best start, then my quality of life is just fine.

Canada has it's pros and cons that's for sure, but really when we consider quality of life, do we not also need to consider our change in attitudes to life, and is not they that enable us to determine how we interpret if we have an improved quality of life or not? I think that the Canadian culture over all offers a huge improvement to the one I left behind it's much more positive, warm and optimisitic; that alone offers us all the chance to improve our quality of life. If we grab our new lives by the balls and do the best we can with them then I think that our quality of life can be greatly improved, but the same could be said with that attitude wherever you live..... eh?

Ms M

Last edited by Mistress Miggins; Feb 25th 2009 at 3:23 am.
Mistress Miggins is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:53 am
  #52  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 279
leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins View Post
Wow, bloody good question and an interesting read above,

I suppose when I think about it, my personal quality of life doesn't feel like it's improved much at all on one hand when I think from the perspective of the culture I lived in previously, but then, with my new head on, I think my quality of life has improved hugely....

Quality of life here isn't judged on what car I drive, what I wear, weigh or drink at a wine bar on a Friday night. I don't have the same kinds of friends I used to, the ones that you just know will always be there in your life, because they always were (I left numerous 10 - 25 year friendships behind) but the friendships here seem like they could become as meaningful one day so that's pretty much a level playing field when I compare.

Family, I do miss parents, so I find this impacts on my quality of life, I miss my social life and I miss earning over $40 an hour and working in the prisons.

On the other hand...........

My quality of life has improved, because I no longer feel material or asthetic pressure the way I did in the UK. The friendships I have here are numerous and with a really wide range of people, many of whom I would probably have never met in the UK socially if I were to compare. I have friends from all walks of life here, with great educations, outlooks and life experiences behind them.

Could I have gone to an excellent Uni, and have achieved a uni diploma already? Definitely not, so I feel that here, I am able to achieve my full potential educationally, and this was always a stressor for me in the UK, as I felt I could never really be the best that I could be academically, and I felt frustrated at that. So, the quality of life stakes are definitely pro Canada in that case. I have every intention of graduating with a degree in 2011 and a masters in 2013, that would have only been possible through relocation or the OU back in the UK.

My husband and I aren't constantly waiting on a 24 hour standby to move for him to go to Afghanistan or Iraq again, so the knowledge that he's in the same country working on air craft that are maintained excellently and not being shot at, really helps my quality of life.

The fact that I don't drink reguarly to binging proportions helps my quality of life, as does the fact that I have a more positive and healthier attitude to life than I ever have. I have surrounded myself with like minded people who have a very proactive approach to life, and have conciously stayed away from dead weight and negative people, so this has once more tiiped the balance of quality of life to a pro Canada.

But what ultimately gives me my real quality of life, is that I look at my children and I see the opportunities they have here, the lack of danger compared to what they would have experienced here, the much better education, social opportunities and attitude they will grow up with here; just generally the future for them, and it's that that gives me my quality of life. I have often said this move has not been of any great benefit to me, and in fact it's at a high personal cost much of the time, but I truly believe that it's been the right move for the little people who I kissed good night and left snoring upstairs. And as long as I know I have taken every chance I have been given to give them the best start, then my quality of life is just fine.

Canada has it's pros and cons that's for sure, but really when we consider quality of life, do we not also need to consider our change in attitudes to life, and is not they that enable us to determine how we interpret if we have an improved quality of life or not? I think that the Canadian culture over all offers a huge improvement to the one I left behind it's much more positive, warm and optimisitic; that alone offers us all the chance to improve our quality of life. If we grab our new lives by the balls and do the best we can with them then I think that our quality of life can be greatly improved, but the same could be said with that attitude wherever you live..... eh?

Ms M
Had to just say great reply....Couldn't agree with you more partic on the kiddie front....Both my boys take it all so for granted as they don't remember anywhere else really....For me I just see how much more freedom they have to be kids here and frankly how much more value is placed on family life - in my group anyway.....

Also very glad your hubby isn't being shot at anymore!!!! Load off your mind to say the least!!!

Lisa
leepee is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:02 am
  #53  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 1,106
startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Mrs M - that is a helluva posting. It's all about attitude and willingness to embrace a different way of life and make the very best you can of it.
startwin is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:00 am
  #54  
Bon Vivant
 
Simon Legree's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,956
Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins View Post
Wow, bloody good question and an interesting read above,

I suppose when I think about it, my personal quality of life doesn't feel like it's improved much at all on one hand when I think from the perspective of the culture I lived in previously, but then, with my new head on, I think my quality of life has improved hugely....

Quality of life here isn't judged on what car I drive, what I wear, weigh or drink at a wine bar on a Friday night. I don't have the same kinds of friends I used to, the ones that you just know will always be there in your life, because they always were (I left numerous 10 - 25 year friendships behind) but the friendships here seem like they could become as meaningful one day so that's pretty much a level playing field when I compare.

Family, I do miss parents, so I find this impacts on my quality of life, I miss my social life and I miss earning over $40 an hour and working in the prisons.

On the other hand...........

My quality of life has improved, because I no longer feel material or asthetic pressure the way I did in the UK. The friendships I have here are numerous and with a really wide range of people, many of whom I would probably have never met in the UK socially if I were to compare. I have friends from all walks of life here, with great educations, outlooks and life experiences behind them.

Could I have gone to an excellent Uni, and have achieved a uni diploma already? Definitely not, so I feel that here, I am able to achieve my full potential educationally, and this was always a stressor for me in the UK, as I felt I could never really be the best that I could be academically, and I felt frustrated at that. So, the quality of life stakes are definitely pro Canada in that case. I have every intention of graduating with a degree in 2011 and a masters in 2013, that would have only been possible through relocation or the OU back in the UK.

My husband and I aren't constantly waiting on a 24 hour standby to move for him to go to Afghanistan or Iraq again, so the knowledge that he's in the same country working on air craft that are maintained excellently and not being shot at, really helps my quality of life.

The fact that I don't drink reguarly to binging proportions helps my quality of life, as does the fact that I have a more positive and healthier attitude to life than I ever have. I have surrounded myself with like minded people who have a very proactive approach to life, and have conciously stayed away from dead weight and negative people, so this has once more tiiped the balance of quality of life to a pro Canada.

But what ultimately gives me my real quality of life, is that I look at my children and I see the opportunities they have here, the lack of danger compared to what they would have experienced here, the much better education, social opportunities and attitude they will grow up with here; just generally the future for them, and it's that that gives me my quality of life. I have often said this move has not been of any great benefit to me, and in fact it's at a high personal cost much of the time, but I truly believe that it's been the right move for the little people who I kissed good night and left snoring upstairs. And as long as I know I have taken every chance I have been given to give them the best start, then my quality of life is just fine.

Canada has it's pros and cons that's for sure, but really when we consider quality of life, do we not also need to consider our change in attitudes to life, and is not they that enable us to determine how we interpret if we have an improved quality of life or not? I think that the Canadian culture over all offers a huge improvement to the one I left behind it's much more positive, warm and optimisitic; that alone offers us all the chance to improve our quality of life. If we grab our new lives by the balls and do the best we can with them then I think that our quality of life can be greatly improved, but the same could be said with that attitude wherever you live..... eh?

Ms M
A lovely read. Thank you for sharing that. I hope lots of other people will take it to heart. The right attitude to be sure. All the best to you and yours.
Simon Legree is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:22 am
  #55  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 336
Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins View Post
Wow, bloody good question and an interesting read above,

I suppose when I think about it, my personal quality of life doesn't feel like it's improved much at all on one hand when I think from the perspective of the culture I lived in previously, but then, with my new head on, I think my quality of life has improved hugely....

Quality of life here isn't judged on what car I drive, what I wear, weigh or drink at a wine bar on a Friday night. I don't have the same kinds of friends I used to, the ones that you just know will always be there in your life, because they always were (I left numerous 10 - 25 year friendships behind) but the friendships here seem like they could become as meaningful one day so that's pretty much a level playing field when I compare.

Family, I do miss parents, so I find this impacts on my quality of life, I miss my social life and I miss earning over $40 an hour and working in the prisons.

On the other hand...........

My quality of life has improved, because I no longer feel material or asthetic pressure the way I did in the UK. The friendships I have here are numerous and with a really wide range of people, many of whom I would probably have never met in the UK socially if I were to compare. I have friends from all walks of life here, with great educations, outlooks and life experiences behind them.

Could I have gone to an excellent Uni, and have achieved a uni diploma already? Definitely not, so I feel that here, I am able to achieve my full potential educationally, and this was always a stressor for me in the UK, as I felt I could never really be the best that I could be academically, and I felt frustrated at that. So, the quality of life stakes are definitely pro Canada in that case. I have every intention of graduating with a degree in 2011 and a masters in 2013, that would have only been possible through relocation or the OU back in the UK.

My husband and I aren't constantly waiting on a 24 hour standby to move for him to go to Afghanistan or Iraq again, so the knowledge that he's in the same country working on air craft that are maintained excellently and not being shot at, really helps my quality of life.

The fact that I don't drink reguarly to binging proportions helps my quality of life, as does the fact that I have a more positive and healthier attitude to life than I ever have. I have surrounded myself with like minded people who have a very proactive approach to life, and have conciously stayed away from dead weight and negative people, so this has once more tiiped the balance of quality of life to a pro Canada.

But what ultimately gives me my real quality of life, is that I look at my children and I see the opportunities they have here, the lack of danger compared to what they would have experienced here, the much better education, social opportunities and attitude they will grow up with here; just generally the future for them, and it's that that gives me my quality of life. I have often said this move has not been of any great benefit to me, and in fact it's at a high personal cost much of the time, but I truly believe that it's been the right move for the little people who I kissed good night and left snoring upstairs. And as long as I know I have taken every chance I have been given to give them the best start, then my quality of life is just fine.

Canada has it's pros and cons that's for sure, but really when we consider quality of life, do we not also need to consider our change in attitudes to life, and is not they that enable us to determine how we interpret if we have an improved quality of life or not? I think that the Canadian culture over all offers a huge improvement to the one I left behind it's much more positive, warm and optimisitic; that alone offers us all the chance to improve our quality of life. If we grab our new lives by the balls and do the best we can with them then I think that our quality of life can be greatly improved, but the same could be said with that attitude wherever you live..... eh?

Ms M
Nice post.
Diggler is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:56 am
  #56  
Forum Regular
 
beeginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: weymouth/now Edmonton
Posts: 218
beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

should have come to canada years ago

in 2 years OH has gone from a truck driver in uk, away all week, to a health safety and training officer for a large trucking company working regular hours.hes in his element.

i was an estate agent in uk and now the volunteer program coordinator for 1,000 volunteers at Edmonton Indy

both have a good car , pay bills when they come in the post, we dont wait until they are red any more.

etc etc could go on but basically LOVE IT
beeginger is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:46 am
  #57  
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,656
or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by Madmac View Post
Better house, better spending power, better financially, better toys: in short the material gains are better.

Less friends, less social life, less stress, less family time: a mixed bag.

Overall - No worse, no better, just different.
Would you go back to EK out of interest, It's always interesting how each persons life is different for me I have the best social life ever. Everything else is pretty much similar to me. I have more friends here than I ever had in EK, well I suppose I lost most of them due to me and ex breaking up.

I'll still need to get that photo of the toilet, the one that was changed into a solicitors office. I remember Mrs MM talking about it once.

e x
or4ngecrush is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:12 pm
  #58  
Thinking the unthinkable.
 
Madmac's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 2,136
Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush View Post
Would you go back to EK out of interest, It's always interesting how each persons life is different for me I have the best social life ever. Everything else is pretty much similar to me. I have more friends here than I ever had in EK, well I suppose I lost most of them due to me and ex breaking up.

I'll still need to get that photo of the toilet, the one that was changed into a solicitors office. I remember Mrs MM talking about it once.

e x
We went back in September for 10 days to see our parents and friends. No, I wouldn't go back permanently to EK. It was a grey town under a leaden grey sky and felt terribly claustrophobic to us both.

We still have many friends over there but interestingly enough most of them have opted to move away from EK. That in itself is telling.

I'm so very glad things are working out for you as you deserved the break that this move gave you. If we are ever out your way then we'll arrange to meet up.

Yes, the toilets were converted into a solicitors office so I can honesty say, with some pride, that I probably pissed in the guys office several dozen times.

I'll try and get Mrs M to see if there are any photos kicking around.

Take care Emma.
Madmac is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:24 pm
  #59  
Part Time Poster
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 4,219
MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

What I’m reading here is people are making the effort to change their lifestyle when they move to Canada..
Maybe that why I don’t see this place as so great, I moved to the country and chose to live in a village in Wales and changed my lifestyle 10 year before I moved to Canada, during that ten years, I realised I could have the relaxed lifestyle and enjoy the high pressure job, they didn’t need to be exclusive. Every city has countryside around it, and a simple walk in the country smell the air after a hectic day, with a home cooked meal and a nice pint afterwards can do wonders

All these great cultures and pleasant people and rural attitudes still exist in the UK, so many on here could have got what they wanted with a lot less effort and risk
MikeUK is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:59 pm
  #60  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mistress Miggins's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 536
Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have an improved quality of life?

Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
What I’m reading here is people are making the effort to change their lifestyle when they move to Canada..
Maybe that why I don’t see this place as so great, I moved to the country and chose to live in a village in Wales and changed my lifestyle 10 year before I moved to Canada, during that ten years, I realised I could have the relaxed lifestyle and enjoy the high pressure job, they didn’t need to be exclusive. Every city has countryside around it, and a simple walk in the country smell the air after a hectic day, with a home cooked meal and a nice pint afterwards can do wonders

All these great cultures and pleasant people and rural attitudes still exist in the UK, so many on here could have got what they wanted with a lot less effort and risk
That's been exactly my point for the last year, since I finally had a realization. Life isn't about geography alone, it's about your attitude to dealing with life. There's a concept of the internal and external locus of control and how those with an internal are physically and mentally healthier than those who have an external locus of control. It's like when you meet people who are over weight, smoke and don't do anything remotely healthy and then they are depressed and upset because they don't feel well or have an illness - they just can't see that there's something that they have to be responsible for in there and something that they can change and control to make things better for themselves. It's apprently easier just to take the "woe is me" stance. The same can be said about life in general. I truly believe if we take responsibility for what is needed, change what we desire and accept what we can't then that's the key to happiness. And like you said, there are many of us that only come to this realization during our immigration journey......For those who have moved back to the UK though, I would be interested to know just how much greener the grass was and if they were able to keep up their positivity and new found attitude................

Mrs M x
Mistress Miggins is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.