Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we really need temp health insurance??

Do we really need temp health insurance??

Old Dec 20th 2013, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we really need temp health insurance??

Originally Posted by MartinandClaire
Hello...!

My hubby and I are flying out to Calgary next month. I am on a study permit and hubby temp work permit.

My immigration consultant has advised I should register with my college asap for health insurance. After research I see we can also register for Alberta health insurance and this will run from the date we land.

Because of this could someone please tell me, do we actually need to purchase temp health insurance?!

Also I assume we would need to find temp accommodation asap as a Canadian address would be needed to apply for the insurance??

Thank you in advance for you help

PS: I am aware we need to be registered within the first 3 months of arriving in Calgary

When my daughter went to uni in Toronto health insurance was compulsory for international students.

During a visit to Toronto this summer I had to go the the ER...which resulted in 5 day hospital stay. The bill was in the region of $30K which we had to pay before I left hospital. I did not have surgery...if I had the bill would probably have been nearer $100K. Therefore my advice would be...make sure you both have appropriate insurance.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 1:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When my daughter went to uni in Toronto health insurance was compulsory for international students.

During a visit to Toronto this summer I had to go the the ER...which resulted in 5 day hospital stay. The bill was in the region of $30K which we had to pay before I left hospital. I did not have surgery...if I had the bill would probably have been nearer $100K. Therefore my advice would be...make sure you both have appropriate insurance.
Uni insurance is Extended Health as a top up for Provincial for residents. Extended Health requires the individual to have provincial health for it to be valid. Extended helath won't cover the basics, which AB Health does.

If an individual cannot get provincial they should carry private insurance which they purchase prior to leaving their home country.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta health will cover you for "most" hospital in-patient costs, should the need arise, but you have to pay for things like crutches, or a boot-cast if you happened to break your ankle while skiing. And physio would not be covered, for instance.

Also consider, if you should break a tooth or lose a filling can you afford to fix that without insurance?

You can go to a walk-in medical clinic if you need to see a GP, but you will have to pay full price for any prescribed drugs if you don't have insurance.

If one of you gets insurance through "school", you might have the option to have the other included (don't know), but otherwise I'd suggest getting coverage via Alberta Blue Cross, or similar ......

Up to you really. You might never need it, such is the nature of insurance!
Old Dec 21st 2013, 7:27 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

I would if you can afford it. My darling son decided to pop a bit of gravel in his ear, $500 later they had flushed it out of there you just never know!

Besides, isn't it tax deductible?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Besides, isn't it tax deductible?
Some are http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...llwbl-eng.html
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 5:10 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Have not had to use it and now have my MSP card but I am glad I had the piece of mind that myself and my OH had cover for the first few months till MSP and my company extended kicked in
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinandClaire
Hello...!

My hubby and I are flying out to Calgary next month. I am on a study permit and hubby temp work permit.

My immigration consultant has advised I should register with my college asap for health insurance. After research I see we can also register for Alberta health insurance and this will run from the date we land.

Because of this could someone please tell me, do we actually need to purchase temp health insurance?!

Also I assume we would need to find temp accommodation asap as a Canadian address would be needed to apply for the insurance??

Thank you in advance for you help

PS: I am aware we need to be registered within the first 3 months of arriving in Calgary
Definitely get a month's worth.

Getting your health card will probably be half a day in a local government bureau registering and then a wait of two to three weeks.

You don't want to be in that example of people who were too foolish not to and then stuck with a massive health bill.

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 22nd 2013 at 8:05 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

When we moved to Canada, we took out private insurance for 3 months.. This was the wait period at the time before we were eligible for 'resident' MSP status..

This may have changed but well worth making sure... My hubby was bitten by a dog and had to go to ER for treatment.. So it certainly paid for us to have the private policy.