Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

Old May 23rd 2013, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
We're a family of four. All have British passports, have been in Canada for 6 years now and are permanent residents of Canada. When we go back to England for a 2 week holiday do we need travel insurance to cover us for medical purposes? I've been hearing on the news recently about the NHS trying to clamp down on health tourists and it got me thinking.
I need to check but I think our HSBC premier credit card that we booked the flights on covers us to a certain extent for lost luggage, delays etc.

Thanks in advance.
Yes as you are no longer entitled to use the NHS.

Originally Posted by orly
Do you all have national insurance cards?
Why...what difference does it make?
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:03 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

I have relatives who moved to Canada in the 60's and have traveled back to the UK on Canadian passports and had no problem accessing healthcare. They are British citizens by birth and the NHS rarely if ever makes a distinction despite stating otherwise.
There was a program on Channel 4 a few weeks back about how the NHS would check you eligibility for free healthcare. Interestingly the charge for a normal vaginal birth was £1,800, which is roughly 20% of the cost in the US from what I've read.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:31 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BTJ
There was a program on Channel 4 a few weeks back about how the NHS would check you eligibility for free healthcare. Interestingly the charge for a normal vaginal birth was £1,800, which is roughly 20% of the cost in the US from what I've read.
normal birth or c-section ; is there any other type

am not up to speed on these things

are the NHS exploring other orifices these days ?
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have relatives who moved to Canada in the 60's and have traveled back to the UK on Canadian passports and had no problem accessing healthcare. They are British citizens by birth and the NHS rarely if ever makes a distinction despite stating otherwise.
Well they should. A non resident is only entitled to emergency care in AE, once admitted they could be billed for everything after that.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
normal birth or c-section ; is there any other type

am not up to speed on these things

are the NHS exploring other orifices these days ?
I think the word normsl was used in the sense of uncomplicated.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a relatives' address you can use when you're visiting, how would the NHS ever know you're not entitled unless you tell them. Does anyone really think the NHS has a budget for investigating this sort of thing.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:30 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well they should. A non resident is only entitled to emergency care in AE, once admitted they could be billed for everything after that.
Has anyone ever heard of a British citizen being charged to avail of the NHS?

If so, I've never seen it/read about it.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...rom_abroad.htm
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:46 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's interesting, people receiving the UK state pension who have lived in the UK in the past for 10 years and now live outside the EEA are eligible for NHS care (except for routine treatment for a pre-existing conditions).
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
That's interesting, people receiving the UK state pension who have lived in the UK in the past for 10 years and now live outside the EEA are eligible for NHS care (except for routine treatment for a pre-existing conditions).
So it appears.
Old May 24th 2013, 12:12 am
limey party pooper

I have billed patients who have given foreign addresses. I have no idea of their citizenship as it wasn't relevant.