Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Prakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nice
Angry Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

I have heard that Canada is far more materialistic than the UK.
Having always been someone who refuses to follow the crowd , will this cause any problems.

My main interest is in business, I have never purchased flashy vehicles as I never wanted to standout, just blend in.

The vehicles I chose would look like an average representatives car, ford mondeo or volkswagon passat.

If I choose something based on requirements, being practical and in abundance such as a minivan & used it for business, would this have an adverse effect in your opinion? :scared:

My business is in agriculture, where a great deal of customers appear to drive huge! trucks with V8 engines. (I dont feel these are practical for me as I will do a great deal of travelling on the highway.
As for the local area's, the farm roads all appear in very good condition.

I would like to use a nice 4 wheel drive , but due to the expected 100K kilometers per year that I expect to do, it doesnt make financial sense.

should I focus on being practical or image for success in sales ?
Also what vehicles do sales representatives use in Canada?

looking forward to your comments

P & S
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:19 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Just to put this into context for people who might want to respond, you're moving to Ontario, right?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prakash & Sandra
Having always been someone who refuses to follow the crowd , will this cause any problems.

My main interest is in business, I have never purchased flashy vehicles as I never wanted to standout, just blend in.

The vehicles I chose would look like an average representatives car, ford mondeo or volkswagon passat.

If I choose something based on requirements, being practical and in abundance such as a minivan & used it for business, would this have an adverse effect in your opinion? :scared:

My business is in agriculture, where a great deal of customers appear to drive huge! trucks with V8 engines. (I dont feel these are practical for me as I will do a great deal of travelling on the highway.

I would like to use a nice 4 wheel drive , but due to the expected 100K kilometers per year that I expect to do, it doesnt make financial sense.

P & S
A fortnight ago I tried to go to a local farm, not in the middle of nowhere but, fifty miles from downtown Toronto. I was in an ordinary car. I got stuck in the snow. A week ago I tried again in a gay 4x4 (a Honda Element), I got there but it was touch and go. I don't think it would be practical to try and visit farms on a regular basis in a car; you need something with ground clearance and probably four wheel drive.

There's also the question of image, one of my customers said to me, quite honestly "you know I'm a liberal, I drive an import truck". If you have an English accent you're already at risk of being considered effeminate and a pinko. Driving a car, especially God forbid, a European car, can only make matters worse. What you need is a King Ranch F150, ideally last years model with a couple of dents, so as not to look too rich. If the price of gas is a problem look at the diesel.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:26 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Just to put this into context for people who might want to respond, you're moving to Ontario, right?
I was going to say ....... here in Calgary, nobody seems to care what you wear, what you drive, what you eat ..... you just do your own thing, and tolerance is the order of the day.

Hubby saw a guy walking through TD mall one day with a pyramid on his head. It didn't even raise an eye-brow! He asked a co-worker what that was about, and she said she supposed it was something to do with channelling energy .....

ps: having said that ..... Everybody laughs at Smart Cars!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I was going to say ....... here in Calgary, nobody seems to care what you wear, what you drive, what you eat ..... you just do your own thing, and tolerance is the order of the day.

I doubt a farm rep's customers are going to a be a rainbow collage of diversity; Weebo Ludvig is the most famous Albertan farmer.

It seems to me that farmers in Ontario come in three flavours; Mennonites, rednecks and francophone rednecks, none of whom strike me as being tolerant of people unlike them.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I doubt a farm rep's customers are going to a be a rainbow collage of diversity; Weebo Ludvig is the most famous Albertan farmer.

It seems to me that farmers in Ontario come in three flavours; Mennonites, rednecks and francophone rednecks, none of whom strike me as being tolerant of people unlike them.
No, I daresay you are right.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Hubby saw a guy walking through TD mall one day with a pyramid on his head. It didn't even raise an eye-brow! He asked a co-worker what that was about, and she said she supposed it was something to do with channelling energy .....

ps: having said that ..... Everybody laughs at Smart Cars!
and step about 15kms out side the city limits and Albertas rednecks will make Ontario's look like gay liberals in their level of tolerance
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Prakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
yes
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MikeUK
and step about 15kms out side the city limits and Albertas rednecks will make Ontario's look like gay liberals in their level of tolerance
Only a gay liberal government lackey would express distance in kilometers. That'd cost a sale even in King City, never mind the boonies.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

A fortnight ago I tried to go to a local farm, not in the middle of nowhere but, fifty miles from downtown Toronto. I was in an ordinary car. I got stuck in the snow. A week ago I tried again in a gay 4x4 (a Honda Element), I got there but it was touch and go. I don't think it would be practical to try and visit farms on a regular basis in a car; you need something with ground clearance and probably four wheel drive.

There's also the question of image, one of my customers said to me, quite honestly "you know I'm a liberal, I drive an import truck". If you have an English accent you're already at risk of being considered effeminate and a pinko. Driving a car, especially God forbid, a European car, can only make matters worse. What you need is a King Ranch F150, ideally last years model with a couple of dents, so as not to look too rich. If the price of gas is a problem look at the diesel.
Thanks for the useful info
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:49 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by MikeUK
mea culpa .... I didn't read the original post in proper detail .... it was just the "keeping up with the Jones's" phrase that set me off, and my remarks were limited to Calgary city life, yes.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prakash & Sandra

P & S
My impression is that the UK is now far more of a consumer and superficial society than Canada. Here you have the space to do your own thing and there isn't the same class system which defines the pecking order.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that Mennonites are protective of their culture, but where do rednecks come from? I thought Canada recently celebrated a 100 years of history meaning most citizens are immigrants?
Is this not the case?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Not necessarily true at all! My family had several mennonites as friends while I was growing up in the KW area!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by willmore
Not necessarily true at all! My family had several mennonites as friends while I was growing up in the KW area!
Doesn't that support my contention ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.