Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

do we abandon our state choice for a job?

do we abandon our state choice for a job?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:43 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default do we abandon our state choice for a job?

we have done considerable research (for "we" read "I" ) about moving to canada and the job market. we want south of the central line, cant cope with yukon type cold. anyway we had chosen BC but jobs are few andfar between. dh has started to suggest we look canade wide for a job, get over there on a TWP and then apply for PR, then move state if we hate it. this will mean moving again and i hate moving. we might like the new place but we might hate it and have to stay there to get visa... what would you do, stick to your guns and wait for a job to come up in BC ( we have a reccie planned for Oct and hope to have a job by the end of that) or throw caution to the wind and apply everywhere?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we abandon our Province choice for a job?

Just a technical point, we have provinces and territories, the Americans have states.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:48 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we abandon our Province choice for a job?

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Just a technical point, we have provinces and territories, the Americans have states.
Anally Rententive Pedant...........................................

I'm only jealous cos you posted it first
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we abandon our state choice for a job?

Originally Posted by __TJ__
we have done considerable research (for "we" read "I" ) about moving to canada and the job market. we want south of the central line, cant cope with yukon type cold. anyway we had chosen BC but jobs are few andfar between. dh has started to suggest we look canade wide for a job, get over there on a TWP and then apply for PR, then move state if we hate it. this will mean moving again and i hate moving. we might like the new place but we might hate it and have to stay there to get visa... what would you do, stick to your guns and wait for a job to come up in BC ( we have a reccie planned for Oct and hope to have a job by the end of that) or throw caution to the wind and apply everywhere?
Have you been to BC and have you been anywhere else in Canada?
Why did you choose BC in the first place?

Personally, I'd say go over in Oct and try and job hunt, and then if you don't have any luck you may have to cast your net wider and consider other provinces. But if BC is where your heart is and you love it (or just don't like other areas) then I'd try there first.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:55 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by __TJ__
we have done considerable research (for "we" read "I" ) about moving to canada and the job market. we want south of the central line
central line - care to tell us what you mean, but if you're saying

South of Montreal ... Yes

South of Sudbury & the Sault most definitely yes

South of Kamloops BC yes

Stay away from the frigid cold mid west is my suggestion
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Find a job, try the place. Most people seem happy in whichever bit of Canada they end up in. Most people in the colder snowier bits either get used to it, or move.

I was nervous about the winter when I came here, now for most of it I enjoy it and make the most of the seasonal contrasts. The last month or so drags, but I can live with it.

First step in being a happy immigrant in my opinion is having a job you enjoy...that leads to a social network and enough money hopefully to get by. After that anything extra is a bonus. If you live in your dream town, but are not doing a job you like for enough money to get by, then you wont be happy for long I suspect.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
First step in being a happy immigrant in my opinion is having a job you enjoy...that leads to a social network and enough money hopefully to get by. After that anything extra is a bonus. If you live in your dream town, but are not doing a job you like for enough money to get by, then you wont be happy for long I suspect.
I love you ! My sentiments exactly Everyone, take heed of the wise one
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I love you ! My sentiments exactly Everyone, take heed of the wise one
Feel

...............................head

.................................................. .......S W E L L I N G!

Oh, its just the hulk thing again
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

What iaink says is probably the most sensible piece of advice I have read on here recently!
It is all to do with the job and the money!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Find a job, try the place. Most people seem happy in whichever bit of Canada they end up in. Most people in the colder snowier bits either get used to it, or move.
True! But it's worth noting that which province (or territory) you decide to move to will highly influence your lifestyle. So if you're seeking a particular lifestyle, definitely know ahead of time which parts of Canada can offer it. Canada is so diverse that each province and territory may as well be completely different countries. Canada is only slightly smaller than all of Europe!

Living in coastal BC, for example, offers a completely different lifestyle than living in small town Alberta, or in Southern Ontario, or in the Maritimes. The distances are so vast, if you're seeking a lifestyle that includes mountains and oceans, you may not be entirely satisfied moving to Saskatchewan, for example. Or maybe you would (if you're seeking an "away from the rat race" small, quiet, slow-paced, rural environment thousands of miles away from everything!) Or if the purpose of moving to Canada is because you're seeking wilderness and "away from it all" lifestyle, then moving to Toronto suburbia makes little sense. And so on.

What are you seeking?

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 13th 2009 at 6:24 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:29 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
What iaink says is probably the most sensible piece of advice I have read on here recently!
It is all to do with the job and the money!
So you'd take your dream job paying big bucks based in baghdad then?

Location is just as important as job & income. But get the three ticked off and everything else will fall into place. Unhappy with any of these and you'll be back in the UK pretty quickly....
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rob_999

Location is just as important as job & income. But get the three ticked off and everything else will fall into place. Unhappy with any of these and you'll be back in the UK pretty quickly....
Been to Baghdad! but it wasnt for me (wrong location and life style)
You are of course right, you do need all 3. A let down in any will see the rest meaning less significant.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:06 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Rob_999

It would have to be serious money, but as far as I know, rough as some bits of Canada are, (scarborough ), there is nowhere quite as extreme as that.

Yes, granted, the location is important, but most places in Canada have something going for them from the perspective of someone looking to move here, and as you basically need a job offer to get into canada now anyway, the job is more important than the location....once you are here as a PR, re-employment and relocation is far easier if you end up somewhere not quite perfect enough.