Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:04 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do they have online grovery shopping in Canada yet?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can't remember, it's been in corners of various basements for six or seven years.
So you don't use it then?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
So you don't use it then?
Not since I've been in the country. It's 20 minutes in the car to Loblaws, making that approach somewhat infeasible. In the city, especially during the years without a car, I used it heavily. That's common. I'd guess that two-thirds of the customers at urban Beer Stores are trundling a cart.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Now? Of course. If you leave now, you'll be there by Monday
I'd miss the flyer bargains though, better start on Tuesday then
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'd miss the flyer bargains though, better start on Tuesday then
which grocery stores or superstores do people find the best value in Vancouver and any of them have online shopping yet, that or I need to move into a house with someone who has a car who can take me shopping
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

In Ottawa at least two online grocers.
http://www.metroglebe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
http://www.telegrocer.com/Docs4brws/introduction.html
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
which grocery stores or superstores do people find the best value in Vancouver and any of them have online shopping yet, that or I need to move into a house with someone who has a car who can take me shopping
Best value for money and quality by a country mile is Costco. Membership is at least $50 + tax a year but you save this in no time at all. You need a small car to get there, and a much bigger car to bring all the stuff you've bought back home.

Real Canadian Superstore is also cheapish, but hit and miss on quality and service sometimes.

Not all Walmarts sell groceries, but the ones that do are also very good value.

The others tend to be much of a muchness. If you buy everything in one store it will be expensive. If you can shop around to buy special offers, cut coupons and so on your groceries can end up quite cheap.

Produce is often cheaper and better quality at a greengrocer's rather than in a supermarket.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Produce is often cheaper and better quality at a greengrocer's rather than in a supermarket.
I've noticed a big improvement in quality of fruit/veg since I moved out of downtown. The local supermarkets have better veg than the ones I used to shop at (safeway on robson, capers on robson, and urban fare on hastings). I can now buy some carrots and still be able to use them 2 or 3 days later.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:10 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I've noticed a big improvement in quality of fruit/veg since I moved out of downtown. The local supermarkets have better veg than the ones I used to shop at (safeway on robson, capers on robson, and urban fare on hastings). I can now buy some carrots and still be able to use them 2 or 3 days later.
And you should be able to buy a small island somewhere nice and tropical with the savings.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And you should be able to buy a small island somewhere nice and tropical with the savings.
Sure, but if you live downtown they are still cheaper than running a car.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:40 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

I always liked Stongs on Dunbar. Used to have quite a lot of British stuff and an appropriate amount of old people clogging the aisles. Not too big which was nice.