Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Old May 20th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do they have online grovery shopping in Canada yet?

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
oooh look - and its on the island too http://www.morethanmilk.ca/bc.asp?Re...City=Vancouver
Thats the one Dairyland, glad to see it is on the island as well. well done 4bells.

Sarah x
Old May 20th 2010, 9:41 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Oh well, maybe Canadian stores will have come into the 21st century by the time we move there! Like lots of others, I have so little spare time that I don't want to waste a minute of it going round Tesco's!

Madwife - you're right - you save so much shopping online! I always end up spending more when I rush into a store on the way home from work and I'm hungry! Then you get tempted by the cheapie paperbacks (why are books so expensive in Canada??), magazines, kids' clothes etc etc!!
Old May 20th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Skimom
Oh well, maybe Canadian stores will have come into the 21st century by the time we move there! Like lots of others, I have so little spare time that I don't want to waste a minute of it going round Tesco's!

Madwife - you're right - you save so much shopping online! I always end up spending more when I rush into a store on the way home from work and I'm hungry! Then you get tempted by the cheapie paperbacks (why are books so expensive in Canada??), magazines, kids' clothes etc etc!!
We are so spoilt here, you can spend as much or as little as you want on food. I think is far more expensive in Canada and I will have to shop around a bit to find the best way of feeding the family. Books are very expensive there and I think it is because they do not have the Amazon habit that we have, and the Tesco style shop where you can buy pride and predjudice in a book or dvd and also buy a bikini and some sausages all in the same basket.

I will miss this aspect of the UK but I will just have to adjust and then enjoy.

Sarah x
Old May 21st 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madwife
Books are very expensive there and I think it is because they do not have the Amazon habit that we have, and the Tesco style shop where you can buy pride and predjudice in a book or dvd and also buy a bikini and some sausages all in the same basket.
The prices on Amazon.ca aren't too bad and the shipping is free if you spend $39. Admittedly shipping from Amazon.uk is free if you spend over a fiver but Canada is a much bigger country to cover.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Admittedly shipping from Amazon.uk is free if you spend over a fiver but Canada is a much bigger country to cover.

... with a much smaller population. Means that it's often not financially viable as the demand's often not there. With exception to the large cities, you're just not going to find the same UK conveniences in the continental-sized Canada.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice
Default Re: Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Having just spent a quick 10 minutes doing this week's shop online, I wondered if they now have online grocery shopping in Canada. So much easier to type in your order and a nice man brings your shopping to your door - or even into the kitchen if you want!
Yes.
We have on line shopping from our local supermarket on the Island.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by emjh
Nope, nothing like it here in Nanaimo. Although I think one store does deliver if you go in and pick your food first. I hate shopping with a baby and 3 yr old and would looooove Tesco online here!
Check out Thrifty's web site. They deliver.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

We live in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island. Thrifty Foods have an online ordering service and will deliver for $5 if you live within a reasonable distance from their nearest store. They have stores over most of the south of the Island - there are several in Victoria.

On the Lower Mainland they have stores in Port Moody, Coquitlam, South Surrey and Tsawwassen.
We live in the valley too, so if I had bothered to read the whole thread before posting I wouldn't have duplicated what you just wrote.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exilelass
We live in the valley too, so if I had bothered to read the whole thread before posting I wouldn't have duplicated what you just wrote.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drive so online grocery shopping will be helpful. Will be moving to vancouver for a year in november
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

konagirl will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Having just spent a quick 10 minutes doing this week's shop online, I wondered if they now have online grocery shopping in Canada. So much easier to type in your order and a nice man brings your shopping to your door - or even into the kitchen if you want!
What you have to remember you are moving to a country where the population is about 9 people per 1 square mile (ok the cities are higher but overall) while Uk is 998 per square mile.. so the Cost to have a online service like tesco is currently not cost effective for the whole country ... individual towns may have there own services in place...

I have been out here 3 months now and i can say Tesco's is the last place i miss!!!! i love the Canadian Superstore... ok a bit more danish bacon would be good but you just have to find a good butcher!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:34 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madwife
We are so spoilt here, you can spend as much or as little as you want on food. I think is far more expensive in Canada and I will have to shop around a bit to find the best way of feeding the family. Books are very expensive there and I think it is because they do not have the Amazon habit that we have, and the Tesco style shop where you can buy pride and predjudice in a book or dvd and also buy a bikini and some sausages all in the same basket.

I will miss this aspect of the UK but I will just have to adjust and then enjoy.

Sarah x
Here in rural NS, our Superstore (Loblaw) sells food, homewares and small appliances, clothing, jewellery, cosmetics, baby section, toys, dvds, electronics, books, has a garden centre, florist, photo store, cafe, community room, pharmacy (with drive thru), gas station and the tobacco store "Holy Smokes" - all very much like the supermarkets in the UK except you have to buy booze at the liquor store.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Here in rural NS, our Superstore (Loblaw) sells food, homewares and small appliances, clothing, jewellery, cosmetics, baby section, toys, dvds, electronics, books, has a garden centre, florist, photo store, cafe, community room, pharmacy (with drive thru), gas station and the tobacco store "Holy Smokes" - all very much like the supermarkets in the UK except you have to buy booze at the liquor store.
The Loblaws I knew in Longueuil, Quebec and the Superstores here do all that. I thought it was normal.

Madwife's experience seems to be different.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:14 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Five years on this is still the thing I most miss from the UK I HATE GROCERY SHOPPING!!! (though at least the stores around here are rarely busy....)

Locals almost fall off their chairs when I tell them how it used to work back in the UK....
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:38 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do they have online grocery shopping in Canada yet?

Yes, I continue to really miss Waitrose. Love the self scanning as you shop, the home delivery, the range, the quality, the approach to business.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-shop-waitrose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.