Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do i need a visa for the US if im traveling from the UK to Canada and have a layover

Wikiposts

Do i need a visa for the US if im traveling from the UK to Canada and have a layover

Old May 1st 2013, 9:51 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i need a visa for the US if im traveling from the UK to Canada and have a layo

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi, thanks for your comment. When we travelled by car last summer across the border we did not have to pay the $6 and we returned back to Canada 3 days later. Is the $6 per person just if you are turning round and coming straight back into Canada?

Regards

Andrew
I had an ETSA and still had to pay the 6 bucks and get an I94. That was back in March of this year.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i need a visa for the US if im traveling from the UK to Canada and have a layo

Hi, thanks for your comment. When we travelled by car last summer across the border we did not have to pay the $6 and we returned back to Canada 3 days later. Is the $6 per person just if you are turning round and coming straight back into Canada?

Regards

Andrew
If going into the US for lunch, shopping etc then you need the I94 and pay the $6.
If flag poling then you tell USCBP that you are making a landing in Canada and you want to go back to Canada immediately. They will issue you an Admin Refusal which you show to CBSA when you get back. There has been some discussion on getting the Admin Refusal as to if it will affect future trips to the USA. In my experience it does not but others say they have been delayed because of this. There is just a gas station and duty free store in Pembina ND no restaurant and Grand Forks is 1 hour south. Your choice.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:42 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If going into the US for lunch, shopping etc then you need the I94 and pay the $6.
If flag poling then you tell USCBP that you are making a landing in Canada and you want to go back to Canada immediately. They will issue you an Admin Refusal which you show to CBSA when you get back. There has been some discussion on getting the Admin Refusal as to if it will affect future trips to the USA. In my experience it does not but others say they have been delayed because of this. There is just a gas station and duty free store in Pembina ND no restaurant and Grand Forks is 1 hour south. Your choice.
Thanks, which is closer to Brandon? Last year we went down through Emerson, but realise that there are only certain border crossings that can process COPR.

Cheers

Andrew
Old May 1st 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, which is closer to Brandon? Last year we went down through Emerson, but realise that there are only certain border crossings that can process COPR.

Cheers

Andrew
Boissevain is the other south of Brandon I can't comment on what type of service you will get there but Im sure they have done landings before.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:57 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Boissevain is the other south of Brandon I can't comment on what type of service you will get there but Im sure they have done landings before.
Hi, yeah asked about this but GC44 tells me you can't, its got to be Emerson, but I don't know for sure. Anyway I hoping that it does not come to that and we have our COPR before we leave on 7th Aug

As always, thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Andrew
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

No you always have to pay that if you are not a US or Canadian citizen apart from when you get an administrative refusal, then it's free . By car you have to fill out the green I94, pay $6 and off you go. By plane ESTA, that's valid for 2 years and when we returned from the UK over Christmas and went by car to the US shopping not long after the US officers told us that within 30 days from returning we do not need to pay nor fill anything out. We went a couple of months ago again and filled I94s again. So maybe last year you had the ESTA and crossed by car not long after arriving via the States? Other than that I don't know why you wouldn't pay.
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:47 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
No you always have to pay that if you are not a US or Canadian citizen apart from when you get an administrative refusal, then it's free . By car you have to fill out the green I94, pay $6 and off you go. By plane ESTA, that's valid for 2 years and when we returned from the UK over Christmas and went by car to the US shopping not long after the US officers told us that within 30 days from returning we do not need to pay nor fill anything out. We went a couple of months ago again and filled I94s again. So maybe last year you had the ESTA and crossed by car not long after arriving via the States? Other than that I don't know why you wouldn't pay.
Hi, yes your right we came to Winnipeg via a flight from Chicago, so that would explain the non payment, thanks for clearing that up.

Regards

Andrew
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

can you not go down through Peace gardens (straight south o Brandon on #10) its a main crossing point.
jimmy
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I had an ETSA and still had to pay the 6 bucks and get an I94. That was back in March of this year.
When I got my last I94 border patrol was telling me they are meant to get the ETSA system later this year which will make things easier.
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quaks
When I got my last I94 border patrol was telling me they are meant to get the ETSA system later this year which will make things easier.
no filling in forms (I94) anymore but still paying $6 every 90 days
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
no filling in forms (I94) anymore but still paying $6 every 90 days
$6 every 90 days is well worth the thousands I save in avoiding BC tax. Can't remember the last time I bought anything in Canada.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Quaks
$6 every 90 days is well worth the thousands I save in avoiding BC tax. Can't remember the last time I bought anything in Canada.
Oh I totally agree! Only buying 3 gallons of milk once pays for the $6. We spend plenty in Canada but once a month we do a big shop in the States.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:09 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by jamesmc
can you not go down through Peace gardens (straight south o Brandon on #10) its a main crossing point.
jimmy
Yes you can, but not that confident that Boissevain will process it, or as Former Lancastrian says "not sure of the level of service". My sister in law's parents used to own the duty free there and for some reason that is one of the most unfriendly border crossings. Just have to hope we have COPR before we land in Aug, if not plan B, wait for COPR then go to Grand Forks with kids, stay in Canad Inn (Great water slides) then head back to activate COPR

Regards

Andrew
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

just phoned a friend ...lol i called it boissevain ,its Peace gardens says she..
anywho i was informed yup its a class A crossing but go to Emmerson crossing an hr an a half east ,,,staff not as grumpy.
personally i found the CBSA staff ok and Emmerson ones were the the grumpsnot that i would do their job.for all the tea in China!
jimmy
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Frank40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.