Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do I have to apply for Returning Resident Permit?

Do I have to apply for Returning Resident Permit?

Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

ngarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I have to apply for Returning Resident Permit?

I have to land before 31st Oct and I was wondering if I have to apply for a RRP or take a special permission after landing *IF* I have to return to US to continue my job. i intend to move permanently around spring 2003.

I plan to land before Oct, stay for a week, complete all the formalities (SIN/PR Card/HealthInsurance etc.), give a friend's address and fly back to US to conitnue my job.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 5:45 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Do I have to apply for Returning Resident Permit?

you can't apply for a Returning Residents Permit as no such thing exists anymore. If
you leave Canada before recieving the PR card then to return you will either have to
go the official route of conatacting the nearest Canadian embassy and obtaining a
Temporary Travel Document (as explained on the CIC website) or you could for a one
off try entering anyway and hoping immigration look at yoru documents and see you
only landed a few weeks ago and therefore cant have broken residency yet and let you
in, but they may jsut as likely turn you away and say go get a temporary travel
document. how long do you plan on staying outside Canada? If its a reasonably long
time you may be as well getting yoru friend to courier you the PR card if you will
only be in the states.

"ngarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have to land before 31st Oct and I was wondering if I have to apply for a RRP or
    > take a special permission after landing *IF* I have to return to US to continue my
    > job. i intend to move permanently around spring 2003.
    > I plan to land before Oct, stay for a week, complete all the formalities (SIN/PR
    > Card/HealthInsurance etc.), give a friend's address and fly back to US to
    > conitnue my job.
    > Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 1st 2002, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Wizzard.
I intend to do exactly what you've mentioned.
I would be giving a friend's address for my PR card and he would be couriering that to me whenever he receives.
After the initial landing, I expect 8-10 months before I would be going back to Canada (permanently).
I hope this should be ok and I wouldn't need any temporary travel document if I have the PR card.
Am I right?

Originally posted by The Wizzard:
you can't apply for a Returning Residents Permit as no such thing exists anymore. If
you leave Canada before recieving the PR card then to return you will either have to
go the official route of conatacting the nearest Canadian embassy and obtaining a
Temporary Travel Document (as explained on the CIC website) or you could for a one
off try entering anyway and hoping immigration look at yoru documents and see you
only landed a few weeks ago and therefore cant have broken residency yet and let you
in, but they may jsut as likely turn you away and say go get a temporary travel
document. how long do you plan on staying outside Canada? If its a reasonably long
time you may be as well getting yoru friend to courier you the PR card if you will
only be in the states.

"ngarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have to land before 31st Oct and I was wondering if I have to apply for a RRP or
    > take a special permission after landing *IF* I have to return to US to continue my
    > job. i intend to move permanently around spring 2003.
    > I plan to land before Oct, stay for a week, complete all the formalities (SIN/PR
    > Card/HealthInsurance etc.), give a friend's address and fly back to US to
    > conitnue my job.
    > Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Old Sep 1st 2002, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

See the 3rd point under the section "Other Things You Should Know" on the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/fact_10e.html
regarding permission to re-enter if you are away from Canada for more than 180 days.

Does this still hold good? Or the website has obsolete information?

Originally posted by ngarry:
Thanks Wizzard.
I intend to do exactly what you've mentioned.
I would be giving a friend's address for my PR card and he would be couriering that to me whenever he receives.
After the initial landing, I expect 8-10 months before I would be going back to Canada (permanently).
I hope this should be ok and I wouldn't need any temporary travel document if I have the PR card.
Am I right?
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:54 am
Aftonokla

Just have your friend send the card to you via FedEx.