Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do Canadians work when snowfall

Wikiposts

Do Canadians work when snowfall

Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:22 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Canadians work when snowfall

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Geordies, obviously. look for tabs, black and white striped soccer shirts and Newkie Brown stains on clothing

Rich.
in Nova Scotia ????
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

For a realtor you really know how to impress potential clients don'tcha ? OK here we go with a rationalization:

In the UK people don't drive on winter tires or use studs. The UK equivalent to regular all seasons is really just a summer tire.
There are less trucks and SUV's with All Wheel or Variable Four Wheel drive with LSD diffs and traction control systems, so vehicles are less suitable for winter.
People are generally less experienced with winter conditions and winter driving.
The budget and physical infrastructure for road clearing is far less rigorous than in Canada.
The highways carry far more traffic and per mile there is probably a far higher incidence of RTA's blocking up the roads and adding to the weather related problems.
Houses, schools etc are built differently and water pipes are easier to burst.
Scores of old people die of hypothermia, becasue they're too poor to afford to heat their homes. Erm, which is just like Canada really only the UK doesn't get people dying because they drunkenly walk home from an Edmonton bar at -30 in a vest while high on meth and end up dead in a block of ice like some display of a mammoth in a museum. However, remarkably, Geordies can survive -10 with wind chill wearing just a vest, shorts and flips flops, muttering under their breath about a wee nip in the air.

So, generally speaking, think of how Vancouverites cope with 5" of snow and you'll get the picture. Yes, it's a crap situation but for a reason. Like, these conditions actually happen about one day in every three years.

Rich.
well put rich. I sort of resent being called a namby pamby. to add to your comments. most roads here are narrower and windier than canadian, they dont have yards of soft shoulder (whats the canadian term for that) to skid of into, its usually a hedge or a ditch.

The kids may not have winter clothing to cope well enough but i dont have kids so i dont really know what schools get up to so won't comment further.

now fog, we know about fog!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:18 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any real point in deleting a post after it's been quoted?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Yes - I live in Toronto and not once have I not gone to work because it snowed.........basically everything becomes a little more difficult, but we carry on like normal.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Interested
Yes - I live in Toronto and not once have I not gone to work because it snowed.........basically everything becomes a little more difficult, but we carry on like normal.
What's your position on that this morning?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What's your position on that this morning?
It's all gone now. The roads are clear and it's quite warm.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's all gone now. The roads are clear and it's quite warm.
Guess where it's gone.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess where it's gone.
Ha! There was a heavy phase here, I had to go to the bank and afterwards drove up Lee Avenue, one of the steeper streets around. There was about 5" on the ground so I had to use first and second to spin the wheels all the way, it was a spectacular and noisy sideways ride. At the top I had to stop to push some wanker who'd got his Avalanche stuck, an automatic, of course.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:23 am

Ha! There was a heavy phase here, I had to go to the bank and afterwards drove up Lee Avenue, one of the steeper streets around. There was about 5" on the ground so I had to use first and second to spin the wheels all the way, it was a spectacular and noisy sideways ride. At the top I had to stop to push some wanker who'd got his Avalanche stuck, an automatic, of course.
We got crapped on during the night and it's still coming (possibly changing to freezing rain; O joy). This morning it took two of us 20 minutes just to clear a path to the car and dig it out sufficiently to permit access to the road. The real shovelling is yet to come.

People seem to be going to work, though, albeit rather late and very slowly. My missus allowed 2 hours this morning, for a journey of less than 8 miles.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

We got crapped on during the night and it's still coming (possibly changing to freezing rain; O joy). This morning it took two of us 20 minutes just to clear a path to the car and dig it out sufficiently to permit access to the road. The real shovelling is yet to come.

People seem to be going to work, though, albeit rather late and very slowly. My missus allowed 2 hours this morning, for a journey of less than 8 miles.
I dug for an hour and a quarter this morning, it was heavy going because the snow was wet but I did the laneway, sidewalk, front path and trampoline. I just left the back path so that, if and when, her indoors gets up she won't feel left out of the fun.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:47 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

the UK doesn't get people dying because they drunkenly walk home from an Edmonton bar at -30 in a vest while high on meth and end up dead in a block of ice like some display of a mammoth in a museum. However, remarkably, Geordies can survive -10 with wind chill wearing just a vest, shorts and flips flops, muttering under their breath about a wee nip in the air.
I'm from the north east (not a geordie) and that brings back memories of my youth .... walking home from the pub / club at 2am in a short-sleeved shirt when it's -5 outside
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Took a while to get here, but I'm here, my boss is also late, but most people are here, but there are a few no shows. Car park has not been ploughed, so had to park a bit away and walk, and the roads were a bit messy getting here, but generally OK. The 401 was not entirely snow free and traffic on it looked light as I crossed it.

Took a good 45 mins to clear the drive and that of an elderly neighbour. Too deep, so the push and then shovel thing wasnt working, had to shovel the whole thing today. Not too many cars going by, but really not that bad if you took it easy. All school buses here were cancelled...now thats a cushy job I expect the bus companies get paid by the year and dont push their drivers to try too hard, as its just costing them for fuel and potential accidents.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 16th 2005 at 2:30 am.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I expect the bus companies get paid by the year and dont push their drivers to try too hard, as its just costing them for fuel and potential accidents.
I guess it's a toss-up between getting paid and keeping the no-claims bonus
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:58 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I did the laneway, sidewalk, front path and trampoline.
Trampoline?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 2:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Trampoline?
We have a backyard trampoline, every house with an autistic person needs a trampoline. (Exhibit A is the children of a friend torturing a puppy on said trampoline). I don't like to leave heavy snow on it as that'll stretch the springs. Bouncing around on it shovelling is a caper though especially with the dog running madly around trying to catch the snow.
Attached Thumbnails Do Canadians work when snowfall-109_0950.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.