Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Originally Posted by johnh009
Here is another one, as you drive into Cambridge, Ontario, there used to be a large sign on the 401 highway that said "Cigarettes, the only known cure for old age". Hope you like that one better.
Well it certainly thins out the herd.

You don't smoke by any chance do you?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
Exactly. Now, imagine a self-managed stock portfolio where you can sell on the highs and buy on the lows. You can beat this figure easily.
Maybe in the short term, but that's high risk for your pension funds. Pretty much no-one beats the market in the long term. 90% plus of mutual funds can't.

The Buffett buy and hold approach is not the best for everyone.
I'd argue it is for the long term.

The primary aim of these financial advisors is to sell financial products and bring in money for the institutions they represent, not increase your wealth. Very few are are paid on results.
Sure, show me any way of investing that doesn't incur a cost. But you can take educated decisions to keep your costs down. In my books it's a no brainer to invest in index funds that have costs 10-15 times less than mutual funds, fees that won't halve your return in the long run.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Sure, show me any way of investing that doesn't incur a cost. But you can take educated decisions to keep your costs down. In my books it's a no brainer to invest in index funds that have costs 10-15 times less than mutual funds, fees that won't halve your return in the long run.
There are hundreds of strategies. At the risk of being put in front of a firing squad and shot, I will say it is up to the individual to decide what is best. But, I will stick my neck out and say that anyone who has followed even the most simplest of strategies and bought Royal Bank shares (or most banks for that matter) for the past 10 to 15 years and reinvested the dividends has done okay, incurred minimal fees, and stayed on the favourable side of the tax man. Nothing guaranteed of course. If you buy shares inside an RRSP, do you lose your 50% tax free advantage on gains at withdrawal? Or do they credit you with this?

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 29th 2011 at 9:09 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well it certainly thins out the herd.

You don't smoke by any chance do you?
No, I gave it up when I was 11 (seriously), I discovered alcohol. The limited money I made from my newspaper round only allowed for one or the other. But, talking of pensions, the most gains I have ever made by far has been on tobacco company shares. I suppose I am just like the government, telling everyone not to smoke but love the revenues.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 29th 2011 at 10:49 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Here is an interesting article about buying shares inside a RRSP:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1962184/
Old May 9th 2011, 9:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, over half of those canadians who have a traditional workplace "defined benefit pension" scheme have them because they work for the government...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2015191/

Last edited by iaink; May 9th 2011 at 9:58 pm.