Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DIY shipping from UK to Canada

DIY shipping from UK to Canada

Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

1314jane will become famous soon enough
Default DIY shipping from UK to Canada

I've been looking into shipping my goods over (they are currently all packed and in storage - boxed for export before going into storage) and I can't get over how cheap it actually is to ship yourself. I found a really helpful guy at the MSC who has talked me through the paperwork, and they include prepaid for all the odds and ends here in Canada. Process for customs at this end is also straightforward as even using a removals company I have to do this myself anyway.

I have arranged insurance also.

All in, at the moment I'll be saving around 3000GBP which is amazing.

Has anyone else done this?
What i am currently looking into as well is the export wrapping and delivery to port - can anyone help with this?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY shipping from UK to Canada

I looked at this process when moving from the UK to Mexico in 2003 but certain things (apart from insurance) put me off.

I found that there were'hidden' costs involved. Assuming MSC will bring the container to your door and leave it on the vehicle for several hours, from where will you get labour to load up?

UK Port charges: moving your container off the truck, on to the dockside, in to Customs (if needed) and then on to the ship - who pays?

Canada port charges: moving the container off the ship, in to Customs, then to a bonded area for you to arrange collection - who pays? How will you move the container or the goods inside it?
How long will MSC let you keep their container? Once it's on the dock in a Canadian port, how long before they want it back and start charging rent?

IMHO, it's do-able but not, perhaps, as easy as one might think.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

pedrochilli is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this a while ago 2005. Super cheap at uk and saved a stack. got dinged out here though, customs wanted to inspect it so holding and inspection fee, then shipping from Vancouver to Fraser valley got ripped again. It cost as much on arrival in Vancouver to my address as it did from uk to Vancouver ?
Fortunatley the nice inspection people broke and damaged quite a few items and the insurance as good as covered it all?! You are not allowed to be present during inspection?! Anyone want a bleeding lawnmower super clean.....
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 1314jane
I've been looking into shipping my goods over (they are currently all packed and in storage - boxed for export before going into storage) and I can't get over how cheap it actually is to ship yourself. I found a really helpful guy at the MSC who has talked me through the paperwork, and they include prepaid for all the odds and ends here in Canada. Process for customs at this end is also straightforward as even using a removals company I have to do this myself anyway.

I have arranged insurance also.

All in, at the moment I'll be saving around 3000GBP which is amazing.

Has anyone else done this?
What i am currently looking into as well is the export wrapping and delivery to port - can anyone help with this?
If/when we go I'm also considering doing this type of thing. AdrianR's points also concern me.

Anyone have experiences of these:

http://ewepack.com/index.php/content-pages/-why-us.html

From this site:

Arrival Services - we can arrange customs and quarantine clearance, storage and delivery to your new home. In fact if you choose the part-load services, it’s usually cheaper to prepay in the UK as our agents give a cost benefit to you for the part-loads. Likewise for the sole-use containers, we can fix the clearance and delivery charges by pre-paying everything for your peace of mind.

Last edited by bodgerx; Aug 23rd 2009 at 8:07 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all! Lots to organise and think about so the advice and experience is appreciated.....

I've since had a quote of 390GBP for haulage and my MSC quote included all the fees, loading etc. This end - I luckily live in Montreal - it's also been included and the haulage will return the container to the port for MSC. As for customs, I've already landed and have the paperwork so it'll be luck of the draw there

All in - including insurance - it'll cost me less than $2000 - less if the USD drops, which is much better than the 3600GBP quoted bt one firm....

Just need to pull together the list of what needs to happen to double check it all and make sure nothing is forgotten....

Even ad the offer of free shipping from Evergreen but would then have cost lots to transport from the US.

Watch this space!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pedrochilli
I did this a while ago 2005. Super cheap at uk and saved a stack. got dinged out here though, customs wanted to inspect it so holding and inspection fee, then shipping from Vancouver to Fraser valley got ripped again. It cost as much on arrival in Vancouver to my address as it did from uk to Vancouver ?
Fortunatley the nice inspection people broke and damaged quite a few items and the insurance as good as covered it all?! You are not allowed to be present during inspection?! Anyone want a bleeding lawnmower super clean.....
Thanks - who did you use at each stage? I'm in MTL so it may still be worth it?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:56 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

we shipped ourselfs in the end , we used a guy that did hubbys cousin when she moved to canada , the only pain was at this end !! sometimes trying to get in touch with peeps over here is a nightmare , lol but it was all sorted in the end and not too bad .... just a learming experience x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by deenailz
we shipped ourselfs in the end , we used a guy that did hubbys cousin when she moved to canada , the only pain was at this end !! sometimes trying to get in touch with peeps over here is a nightmare , lol but it was all sorted in the end and not too bad .... just a learming experience x
Thank you - I think I'm prepared for the issues this end, and at least I have been warned!
Do you have the contact details for the guy??!!!
Many thanks!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
just wondered if any of you guys (or any others) could tell us how you got on with DIY shipping. Any contact names for companies etc would be greatly appreciated. We are moving to Calgary in october from North East UK on an extreamly tight budget and were wondering if the DIY shipping would be an option to us
Many thanks