Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disheartened by job prospects.

Disheartened by job prospects.

Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all
Default Re: Disheartened by job prospects.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Likewise Kelowna, population 108,000 probably has 20 openings that pay more than twenty bucks an hour. The rest is retail/service sector, minimum wage or thereabouts dogs droppings.

I'm not a naysayer at all, but unless people have $500k to a $million plus, just don't bother coming here (to Kelowna) unless you are prepared to try it at somewhat of a high risk and suck up what you have to suck up, while enjoying the pleasure and leisure it has to offer.

R.

I've lived and owned a business in Kelowna and believe me it is not a place to begin or continue a career. First most of the economy of the Okanagan Valley is mostly based on either Tourism or Agriculture and does not pay well. Second there are a very high number of retirees in Kelowna (and Summerland and Osoyoos and Vernon), who have limited disposable income to spend supporting businesses that create jobs. My advice to you is that if you're looking for a career or a decent well paying job, you need to move out of the Okanagan Valley to somewhere else in Canada, like Vancouver, Calgary or possibly Saskatchewan, as that's where the well paying jobs are available and where you can build a career. If you want to stay in the Okanagan Valley to enjoy the climate, be prepared to accept low paying mac jobs as the price you pay (sometimes called the sunshine tax).
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:05 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
t if you're looking for a career or a decent well paying job, you need to move out of the Okanagan Valley to somewhere else in Canada, like Vancouver, Calgary or possibly Saskatchewan, as that's where the well paying jobs are available and where you can build a career.
Bugger Me and I though all the really well paying jobs were right here in Toronto
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:16 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived and owned a business in Kelowna and believe me it is not a place to begin or continue a career. First most of the economy of the Okanagan Valley is mostly based on either Tourism or Agriculture and does not pay well. Second there are a very high number of retirees in Kelowna (and Summerland and Osoyoos and Vernon), who have limited disposable income to spend supporting businesses that create jobs. My advice to you is that if you're looking for a career or a decent well paying job, you need to move out of the Okanagan Valley to somewhere else in Canada, like Vancouver, Calgary or possibly Saskatchewan, as that's where the well paying jobs are available and where you can build a career. If you want to stay in the Okanagan Valley to enjoy the climate, be prepared to accept low paying mac jobs as the price you pay (sometimes called the sunshine tax).
Wow. I don't need the lecture. I'm the one (usually) giving it. Falls on deaf ears mostly.

Don't worry, I'm not here for the career, just to doss about and have a great time. I have a great gig but it's come-and-go, here-and-there, kinda stuff in Kelowna.

R.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Wow. I don't need the lecture. I'm the one (usually) giving it. Falls on deaf ears mostly.

Don't worry, I'm not here for the career, just to doss about and have a great time. I have a great gig but it's come-and-go, here-and-there, kinda stuff in Kelowna.

R.
Actually I'm not worrying and it wasn't a lecture, merely the truth. Good well paying jobs are hard to find in the Okanagan Valley for anyone not just immigrants.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:47 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good well paying jobs are hard to find in the Okanagan Valley for anyone not just immigrants.
I count my blessings and it beats picking fruit or selling crack in Rutland

R.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

I count my blessings and it beats picking fruit or selling crack in Rutland

R.
Good for you. Rutland...urgh!!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:40 am
Lotus-eater

Good for you. Rutland...urgh!!!
Oh no. I mentioned the bad R-word.

OK now I have to mention...Hein Road.

R.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Daisy I think realistically you need to apply for permenant residence before considering what employment you would take. I don't think it's impossible to work for Canadian Border Services but as Judy says at the outset they give priority to Canadian citizens. Once you have PR there is nothing to stop you applying though. I know of a married couple who were Customs Officers in the UK who emigrated a few years back and now work for CBS and I have an application in myself!

I also agree with the earlier posts. A few days back we bought some furniture in Sears and the salesman had an MSc in Chemistry so having a good education is no guarantee of a good job.
It may mean working in Walmart for a while. It's got be better than Martello Towers though surely? However your unwillingness to fly is a major obstacle. I would consider hypnosis or something like that to overcome your fears. There are not a lot of cruise ships these days and you need to visit Canada before deciding whether or not it's for you. You need to ask yourself can you save enough to live on possibly for months with no income and are you prepared to take a relatively low paid job.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
OK
That me quids in! I have learnt one thing in the British Army .....
Bluff it all the way
Yes, but you are in a country where, in the workplace, social skills are more important than professional skills. And, the British Army (or it's members) is not noted for it's social skills.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The British Army are renowned for thier social skills. The odd few bad apples makes more interesting news than 50 blokes having a great fun day out!
So if social skills are more important than actual work skills I have no dramas
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:36 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Selsame
Daisy I think realistically you need to apply for permenant residence before considering what employment you would take. I don't think it's impossible to work for Canadian Border Services but as Judy says at the outset they give priority to Canadian citizens. Once you have PR there is nothing to stop you applying though. I know of a married couple who were Customs Officers in the UK who emigrated a few years back and now work for CBS and I have an application in myself!

I also agree with the earlier posts. A few days back we bought some furniture in Sears and the salesman had an MSc in Chemistry so having a good education is no guarantee of a good job.
It may mean working in Walmart for a while. It's got be better than Martello Towers though surely? However your unwillingness to fly is a major obstacle. I would consider hypnosis or something like that to overcome your fears. There are not a lot of cruise ships these days and you need to visit Canada before deciding whether or not it's for you. You need to ask yourself can you save enough to live on possibly for months with no income and are you prepared to take a relatively low paid job.
maybe she could get a job on a cruise liner, and work her passage ; this whole venture sounds as ill fated as raising the titantic
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:10 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
and work her passage
ohh eeer
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
ohh eeer
was tongue in cheek, but was thinking croupier etc not anything risque
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, but you are in a country where, in the workplace, social skills are more important than professional skills. And, the British Army (or it's members) is not noted for it's social skills.
hey dont tar us with the same brush
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:45 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Selsame

Errrrrrrrrrr!!! You say she should apply for these jobs once she has applied for PR. Well how do you propose she is going to get PR without a secure job offer in the first place???