Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disheartened by job prospects.

Disheartened by job prospects.

Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disheartened by job prospects.

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
There is lots of work for those willing to put effort into it and willing to do whatever it takes to make immigration work. However unless you have a skill that is in short supply and employers need to go that extra mile, then getting hired from overseas is not all that easy.
The way Canadian employers hire is quite different to the UK though. Most employers need jobs filled now, waiting for someone to get visas and move may not work for their business. Some will, if they are unable to find Canadian residents able to do it.

Many people have frustrations, but it does come together in time.
er that may be true in BC but it isnt true in other parts of Canada. I suggest you think again before insulting people who are trying hard but unsuccessfully to find work.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:42 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I suggest you think again before insulting people who are trying hard but unsuccessfully to find work.
Mostly their sort don't think; some of these plastic fantastic monkeys haven't lived even half a life.

R.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:11 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

er that may be true in BC but it isnt true in other parts of Canada. I suggest you think again before insulting people who are trying hard but unsuccessfully to find work.
Ontario was the first province to introduce the Agricultural Foreign Workers program to bring in temporary labor from Mexico. This was due to an acute shortage of unskilled labour in the province. BC followed suit because of a similar problem.

I have colleagues across the country experiencing difficulty in finding suitable employees, skilled and unskilled.

Cannot comment on people trying unsuccessfully to find work as I do not know how they are going about it. Don't want to insult or offend anybody.

Monster.ca report in nationwide labour shortage

Vancouver Sun Article
Edmonton Journal
CBC Report

Montser.ca report on Ontario
Working.com report on Saskatchewan

Organizations such as this can help people trying unsuccessfully to find work. http://www.jobspeterborough.ca/

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Feb 2nd 2008 at 2:18 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:24 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I have colleagues across the country experiencing difficulty in finding suitable employees, skilled and unskilled.

Cannot comment on people trying unsuccessfully to find work as I do not know how they are going about it. Don't want to insult or offend anybody.
I'll summarise the problem in a nutshell.....in business, Canadians struggle to think outside the box. All is simply going-through-the-motions, functional box-ticking. Recruiters and managers demand a list of skills, quals and experience a kilometre long. In the real world, that perfect combination rarely exists. Or, they are excessively anal about exactly who they want. They fail to have the wide rounded management skills to coach, train and lead new blood. Most achieved their position of responsibility by dull and tedious means of seniority, or being the "presenteeism symptom" robot working long, due diligence hours of servitude hoping for some payback in later years. What you are left with is a detail-orientated, insecure, meddler lacking drive and leadership skills. I generalise of course, but mostly true. Their insecurity and lack of confidence means that a really good guy, is never going to have a chance - might take their job, overshadow their paltry ass-kissing efforts, and generally show them up for the naive, unworldly goon they are.

Along comes Rob, Yanni, Iqbal or John, with a wealth of worldly knowledge and a solid bag of tricks, keen to prove themselves in their new found country, to be given short shrift by an oaf who refuses to give their resume airtime because it 'looks a little odd'.

The sooner these dull lifeless talentless oafs wake up, are given some solid new-school HR strategy training, or just listen a little more to what their frustrated HR colleague is saying, the better - for Canada's economy in general and the well being of migrants the length and broad breadth of this nation.

Hello oafs - wakey wakey - the labour and skills shortage isn't going to change - get with the program, or move over and let Johnny, Iqbal or Ranjit run the show.

R

Last edited by Rich_007; Feb 2nd 2008 at 2:26 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:24 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I'll summarise the problem in a nutshell.....in business, Canadians struggle to think outside the box. All is simply going-through-the-motions, functional box-ticking. Recruiters and managers demand a list of skills, quals and experience a kilometre long. In the real world, that perfect combination rarely exists. Or, they are excessively anal about exactly who they want. They fail to have the wide rounded management skills to coach, train and lead new blood. Most achieved their position of responsibility by dull and tedious means of seniority, or being the "presenteeism symptom" robot working long, due diligence hours of servitude hoping for some payback in later years. What you are left with is a detail-orientated, insecure, meddler lacking drive and leadership skills. I generalise of course, but mostly true. Their insecurity and lack of confidence means that a really good guy, is never going to have a chance - might take their job, overshadow their paltry ass-kissing efforts, and generally show them up for the naive, unworldly goon they are.

Along comes Rob, Yanni, Iqbal or John, with a wealth of worldly knowledge and a solid bag of tricks, keen to prove themselves in their new found country, to be given short shrift by an oaf who refuses to give their resume airtime because it 'looks a little odd'.

The sooner these dull lifeless talentless oafs wake up, are given some solid new-school HR strategy training, or just listen a little more to what their frustrated HR colleague is saying, the better - for Canada's economy in general and the well being of migrants the length and broad breadth of this nation.

Hello oafs - wakey wakey - the labour and skills shortage isn't going to change - get with the program, or move over and let Johnny, Iqbal or Ranjit run the show.

R
You seem to have a somewhat perverse view of the employment world.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:26 am
Lotus-eater

I think you live in a different employment world to the rest of us.

Maybe you've not seen enough of BC business to recognise what I describe.

R.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Hear, Hear!! Eloquently and succinctly put, that pretty much sums up my views and experience of the whole recruitment process here, many insecure antiquated folk.

As I was asked at one interview (i summarise) "your experience and qualifications are just what we are looking for, however you never know what your getting when dealing with applicants from away, also how will I know that you will not take my job in a few months", at least some are open about it I suppose.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

R
So we end up like England.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario was the first province to introduce the Agricultural Foreign Workers program to bring in temporary labor from Mexico. This was due to an acute shortage of unskilled labour in the province. BC followed suit because of a similar problem.

Monster.ca report in nationwide labour shortage

Vancouver Sun Article
Edmonton Journal
CBC Report

Montser.ca report on Ontario
Working.com report on Saskatchewan

Organizations such as this can help people trying unsuccessfully to find work. http://www.jobspeterborough.ca/
We are pretty familiar with the job market in Peterborough.

The local papers have maybe a dozen jobs a week advertised. Usually fewer.
The link you so kindly posted has 20 jobs, many of those will be on $8 an hour.

Thats 20 jobs for the whole of Peterborough county, around 134,000 people.

Most employers don't advertise so you have to send your resume in to anywhere you think may employ you. You have to know people to get a foot in the door.

We moved here after checking websites and local govt info that said the economy was booming, plenty of work. That isnt the reality of living here.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Thats 20 jobs for the whole of Peterborough county, around 134,000 people.

Most employers don't advertise so you have to send your resume in to anywhere you think may employ you. You have to know people to get a foot in the door.......the economy was booming, plenty of work. That isnt the reality of living here.
Likewise Kelowna, population 108,000 probably has 20 openings that pay more than twenty bucks an hour. The rest is retail/service sector, minimum wage or thereabouts dogs droppings.

I'm not a naysayer at all, but unless people have $500k to a $million plus, just don't bother coming here (to Kelowna) unless you are prepared to try it at somewhat of a high risk and suck up what you have to suck up, while enjoying the pleasure and leisure it has to offer.

R.

Last edited by Rich_007; Feb 2nd 2008 at 3:52 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisyboo
Thanks very much for your advice Judy it is very much appreciated.

I realise I may have problems getting the type of work I want, although I have seen a Border Guard job in Canada that apparently I can apply for, but only once I have PR. To put my situation further into context, my 'children' are aged 19 and 17 (still my babies though) and my dependents. My daughter is currently in New Zealand (gap year) but will be coming with us to Canada when we go. If I have to go the skilled migrant route and am successful she would have completed university, otherwise she will study in Canada. My son does not want to go to university but is still at school and wants to work for himself.

I'm not really daunted about making the move - although I do find all the information daunting. Over the years thousands and thousands of people have emigrated around the world without flying, and I've been told that several people on this site have secured jobs in Canada without actually attending interviews. I do have other skills, I have had my own business in the past for 10 years, and have picked up lots of skills through volunteering. I have lived abroad before for ten years - both my children were born outside of the UK. If unsuccessful with job hunting, I expect I'll take the visitor route and try and get nominated.

Thanks again. Any other advice would be most welcome.
Daisy

Daisy ,there is a very slim chance that CBSA may consider
your application.Have a look at the answer on question#7
It showed that they have not entirely shut the door to non Canadian
applicants.
You might have the qualifications and skills in which there are not enough
qualified Canadians to fill the positions.
http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/faq_e.htm
Good luck with your job hunting.
Yoong

Last edited by Yoong; Feb 2nd 2008 at 9:49 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Daisy, the definition of dependent children, for the purposes of immigration is:

Daughters and sons, including children adopted before the age of 18, who:
  • are under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
  • have been continuously enrolled as full-time students and financially supported by their parents since turning 22 (or from the date of becoming a spouse or common-law partner if this happened before the age of 22); or
  • have substantially depended on the financial support of their parents since before turning 22 and are unable to support themselves due to a medical condition.

I got that from page 18 of CIC's Guide called Application for Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Worker Class.

So, if you applied via the skilled worker route, your daughter probably would be too old to accompany you as a dependent and, if skilled worker applications carry on taking as long as they currently take, your son may even be too old as well.

But there is one point that I don't know. If you don't know it either, there may be merit in your asking for clarification regarding this specific point on the Canada Immigration forum. The point that I don't know is the moment in time at which Citizenship and Immigration Canada closes the door on your kids. Does CIC count your kids' ages at the time that you applied for a permanent residence visa or at the time that you gain admission to Canada? That's what I don't know.

Another thing that may be useful to know is that, until they reach 30, your daughter and son can get 12-month working holiday visas (WHVs) through BUNAC. I expect your daughter is in New Zealand on a WHV.

There are a couple of BE forum members who have managed to upgrade from WHVs to permanent residence status. (The two who spring immediately to mind did it through British Columbia's Provincial Nominee Program.)

Hope the additional information helps.
note to self. no i am not a kid. yes wife keeps telling me i am a big kid. so i must be a kid as i want all the toys. no i am not a kid judy said so
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Another great read! Unfortunatley for me I joined the Army at 17 and have worked full time since, I am crapping myself to be unemployed
Anyway I am willing to work at anything, again I have so little trade to offer an employer ( not much call for tactics and tank busting in civil street even in Canada LOL)
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

R
Couldn't agree more. What I find frustrating is this situation based interviewing where they say: "What would you do if...". You can really cook up a good story with this type of interview, never mind a person's technical skills. This type of interviewing favours people who are good talkers and not those who have the best skills.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

OK
That me quids in! I have learnt one thing in the British Army .....
Bluff it all the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.