British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Disheartened by job prospects. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/disheartened-job-prospects-510648/)

Daisyboo Jan 31st 2008 3:02 pm

Disheartened by job prospects.

For the last few weeks I've been searching lots of different job sites, some recommended some of which I'd googled and haven't been able to find anything that I could do in Canada (apart from very low paid jobs that require little skill). I do have skills but can't seem to fit them into another job. I've seen hundreds of nursing, engineer, plasterer etc jobs which I know are the type of skills Canada wants. Has anyone else had this problem? I currently work for Immigration and have training skills/qualifications too. There are dozens of other things I could do given the opportunity, but am having problems. I know a few weeks is not long for job hunting. Any advice?

Daisy

oilsands Jan 31st 2008 3:11 pm

Re: Disheartened by job prospects.

Daisyboo

Are you living in Canada? Or looking to move here?

You work in Immigration? What do you do?

Judy in Calgary Jan 31st 2008 4:10 pm

Daisy, in other threads you've said that you're an Immigration Officer but also have worked in HR and Training, that you are a single parent of two children, that you are unable to fly and would have to travel to Canada by sea.

Frankly, I think this combination is daunting (although perhaps not insurmountable if you are sufficiently determined).

In most parts of Canada there are enough people to meet the demands for immigration officers, HR functions and training functions. Therefore, in most parts of Canada it would be difficult to get a temporary work permit on the basis of one of these jobs.

The federal government gives priority to citizens and permanent residents of Canada. In an area that contributes to Canada's wellbeing as much as immigration does, I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if they gave a foreigner a job.

You probably would be able to find work (and perhaps even a Labour Market Opinion that would lead to a temporary work permit) in HR or training in a province like Alberta, where there is a huge shortage of workers. But in many cases that would involve an interview, and that would require you to fly.

You could consider Nova Scotia's Community Identified Stream. But that would involve two or three recce trips (which would necessitate flying). Alternatively, you and your children would need to move to NS as visitors, apply to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program via the CIS, and sustain yourselves while you waited 6 - 8 months for that to go through (with a good chance of, but not a guarantee of, acceptance). Not only would you have to pay your normal living expenses without a salary from a job but, as visitors, your family would not be eligible for provincial health care insurance or free schooling.

If you were doing this as a sole adult, it would be one thing. But doing it with two children in tow would terrify the living daylights out of me (I'm speaking only for myself).

A tip about posting on the forum. The more context you provide, the more complete the answers you can expect to receive. Not everyone has the time to look through your previous posts to obtain a fuller picture of your situation.

Judy in Calgary Jan 31st 2008 4:53 pm

Daisy, I just want to address another issue.

Supposing you were able to overcome issues like your inability to fly, and it just came down to finding job opportunities.

I want to discuss this, because it may help you, and it also may help other job hunters.

Looking at job sites is a start, but only a very tentative start. To make progress towards finding a job in Canada, you have to identify the corporate players in a given industry and given region, and you have to network.

The Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities explains how to find out about corporate players in different regions. That article has a section called "Real Life Examples," which provides links to a couple of discussion threads in which I walked people through that process.

Once you have found out who the corporate players are, you have to phone them. This is extremely important. You're at an advantage in the UK, because your time zone is ahead of Canada's several time zones. Therefore you can phone in the evening, while people still are at work in Canada. The Wiki article on Networking explains this process.

If you have not already done so, I recommend that you read all the Wiki articles in the series on job hunting in Canada.

Hope that helps.

Daisyboo Jan 31st 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks very much for your advice Judy it is very much appreciated.

I realise I may have problems getting the type of work I want, although I have seen a Border Guard job in Canada that apparently I can apply for, but only once I have PR. To put my situation further into context, my 'children' are aged 19 and 17 (still my babies though) and my dependents. My daughter is currently in New Zealand (gap year) but will be coming with us to Canada when we go. If I have to go the skilled migrant route and am successful she would have completed university, otherwise she will study in Canada. My son does not want to go to university but is still at school and wants to work for himself.

I'm not really daunted about making the move - although I do find all the information daunting. Over the years thousands and thousands of people have emigrated around the world without flying, and I've been told that several people on this site have secured jobs in Canada without actually attending interviews. I do have other skills, I have had my own business in the past for 10 years, and have picked up lots of skills through volunteering. I have lived abroad before for ten years - both my children were born outside of the UK. If unsuccessful with job hunting, I expect I'll take the visitor route and try and get nominated.

Thanks again. Any other advice would be most welcome.
Daisy

Judy in Calgary Jan 31st 2008 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Daisyboo
To put my situation further into context, my 'children' are aged 19 and 17 (still my babies though) and my dependents. My daughter is currently in New Zealand (gap year) but will be coming with us to Canada when we go. If I have to go the skilled migrant route and am successful she would have completed university, otherwise she will study in Canada. My son does not want to go to university but is still at school and wants to work for himself.

Daisy, the definition of dependent children, for the purposes of immigration is:

Daughters and sons, including children adopted before the age of 18, who:
  • are under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
  • have been continuously enrolled as full-time students and financially supported by their parents since turning 22 (or from the date of becoming a spouse or common-law partner if this happened before the age of 22); or
  • have substantially depended on the financial support of their parents since before turning 22 and are unable to support themselves due to a medical condition.

I got that from page 18 of CIC's Guide called Application for Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Worker Class.

So, if you applied via the skilled worker route, your daughter probably would be too old to accompany you as a dependent and, if skilled worker applications carry on taking as long as they currently take, your son may even be too old as well.

But there is one point that I don't know. If you don't know it either, there may be merit in your asking for clarification regarding this specific point on the Canada Immigration forum. The point that I don't know is the moment in time at which Citizenship and Immigration Canada closes the door on your kids. Does CIC count your kids' ages at the time that you applied for a permanent residence visa or at the time that you gain admission to Canada? That's what I don't know.

Another thing that may be useful to know is that, until they reach 30, your daughter and son can get 12-month working holiday visas (WHVs) through BUNAC. I expect your daughter is in New Zealand on a WHV.

There are a couple of BE forum members who have managed to upgrade from WHVs to permanent residence status. (The two who spring immediately to mind did it through British Columbia's Provincial Nominee Program.)

Hope the additional information helps.

bazzz Jan 31st 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 5866617)
But there is one point that I don't know. If you don't know it either, there may be merit in your asking for clarification regarding this specific point on the Canada Immigration forum. The point that I don't know is the moment in time at which Citizenship and Immigration Canada closes the door on your kids. Does CIC count your kids' ages at the time that you applied for a permanent residence visa or at the time that you gain admission to Canada? That's what I don't know.

Age is locked in at the time of application. Dependency isn't, but that doesn't matter because they'll count as dependents because of their age.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/op06e.pdf

Page 3.

Judy in Calgary Jan 31st 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz
Age is locked in at the time of application. Dependency isn't, but that doesn't matter because they'll count as dependents because of their age.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/op06e.pdf

Page 3.

Aah, thank you, bazzz. :)

bazzz Jan 31st 2008 10:33 pm

You're welcome.

Jay Bird Jan 31st 2008 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Daisyboo (Post 5864504)
For the last few weeks I've been searching lots of different job sites, some recommended some of which I'd googled and haven't been able to find anything that I could do in Canada (apart from very low paid jobs that require little skill). I do have skills but can't seem to fit them into another job. I've seen hundreds of nursing, engineer, plasterer etc jobs which I know are the type of skills Canada wants. Has anyone else had this problem?

Daisy

I think you'll find this forum overflowing with people who experience this; it's extremely frustrating. This is what it must be like for skilled immigrants to the UK (or any other country for that matter).....and isn't it horrible when you're on the receiving end of it!

Ontheboatout Jan 31st 2008 11:47 pm

Here's some jobs - looks like (unsurprisingly) you need to be a Canadian Citizen first.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emplo.../menu-eng.html

englishintruder Feb 1st 2008 8:32 am

Hi Daisy
How about working for yourself?
Start your own company doing something you feel best at;)

Chris

Rich_007 Feb 1st 2008 2:35 pm

Disheartened ? Holy crabs, you want to try looking for a job once over here. That'll put hairs on yer chest.

R.

Surrey Expat Feb 1st 2008 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007 (Post 5869748)
Disheartened ? Holy crabs, you want to try looking for a job once over here. That'll put hairs on yer chest.

R.

There is lots of work for those willing to put effort into it and willing to do whatever it takes to make immigration work. However unless you have a skill that is in short supply and employers need to go that extra mile, then getting hired from overseas is not all that easy.
The way Canadian employers hire is quite different to the UK though. Most employers need jobs filled now, waiting for someone to get visas and move may not work for their business. Some will, if they are unable to find Canadian residents able to do it.

Many people have frustrations, but it does come together in time.

englishintruder Feb 1st 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat (Post 5869800)
There is lots of work for those willing to put effort into it and willing to do whatever it takes to make immigration work. The way Canadian employers hire is quite different to the UK though.

To True
Unemployment is for the LAZY;)
Chris