Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:01 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Originally Posted by dbd33
The length of one's degree is important because, and I suppose only because, NAFTA stipulates that people who have four year degrees can hop across the border for work.
Again, I so wish that degrees were evaluated on content and achievement and not by length. My degree was independently evaluated as equivalent to a 4 year Canadian degree by WES but still only counted as a 3 year one when I applied for a teaching certificate. I have researched and know that the courses that I studied in my 3rd year are those studied by 4th years here so I clearly reached an equivalent standard, just took less time to do it!

Last edited by Scrapcat; Oct 10th 2013 at 7:58 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snuggs;10938894] I mentioned Nursing as My fiance' studied for 4 years and I am aware that her responsibilities of a nurse here are far more than the UK hence why the pay is better.

QUOTE]

I disagree with this. Responsibilites are different not less and the pay is better just because it is.

As an x-ray tech my responsibilities are much less than they would be in the UK and the pay is better.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I could also point out that there are 2 year LL.B. degrees, even in Scotland.

I don't know of anyone that believes the UK - England. I know of many Scots that get hung up on the difference but I simply assumed that that was a cultural thing.

I suggest that, in most matters, it really matters not a jot whether one is referring to England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Most things in most of those countries are done in a very similar fashion, or at least, as similar as they would be done in, say, Newcastle, when compared to Truro.
You obviously don't speak to many people then.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:50 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=bats;10939092]
Originally Posted by snuggs
I mentioned Nursing as My fiance' studied for 4 years and I am aware that her responsibilities of a nurse here are far more than the UK hence why the pay is better.

QUOTE]

I disagree with this. Responsibilites are different not less and the pay is better just because it is.

As an x-ray tech my responsibilities are much less than they would be in the UK and the pay is better.

I don't know much of your profession as an X-ray Tech but I have friends who are nurses in the UK and my Partner is a register RN in Ontario and the responsibilities are far less in the UK.
Also I recall her having a very long conversation to an Irish Doctor who was sat next to us on a flight and he couldn't believe what Nurses do compared to where he was.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snuggs;10939319]
Originally Posted by bats

I don't know much of your profession as an X-ray Tech but I have friends who are nurses in the UK and my Partner is a register RN in Ontario and the responsibilities are far less in the UK.
Also I recall her having a very long conversation to an Irish Doctor who was sat next to us on a flight and he couldn't believe what Nurses do compared to where he was.
Really? and yet the British nurses I work with here can't believe what they are not allowed to do compared to home. Doctors rule the roost here and they won't give up any work as it means they lose $$.

I would be interested to hear what the nurses on this forum say on the subject.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:56 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bats;10939354]
Originally Posted by snuggs

Really? and yet the British nurses I work with here can't believe what they are not allowed to do compared to home. Doctors rule the roost here and they won't give up any work as it means they lose $$.

I would be interested to hear what the nurses on this forum say on the subject.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

[QUOTE=cbrown89;10939380] No, not Chinese whispers, but heard directly from the people concerned. However their experience may be different to that of the OPs wife.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bats;10939389]
Originally Posted by cbrown89

No, not Chinese whispers, but heard directly from the people concerned. However their experience may be different to that of the OPs wife.
FWIW, a nurse I know well, who emigrated from Toronto to London summarised the difference as being "here, London, we're a medical team, it's mainly about the patient, status is less important, I don't feel that the primary objective is to put other staff down".

My guess is that the culture depends on the hospital and the role as much as the country. The nurse in question worked, well works, since she's still technically employed in both countries, in ICU.