Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:51 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Originally Posted by snuggs
Education in Canada seems superior to British education... ( a nursing degree in Canada is 4 years compared to 3 in the UK and that's just one example )
It's this sort of attitude that frustrates me, as an educator I wish that qualifications were judged on 'quality' and their outcomes, not just 'quantity' or how long it took to get them. I know that with my 14 years of school education and A levels that the reason my degree only took 3 years was because I basically covered first year North American degree material in the sixth form.

Last edited by Scrapcat; Oct 10th 2013 at 9:52 am. Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:06 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discrimination of UK creds on Resume.

Education in Canada seems superior to British education... ( a nursing degree in Canada is 4 years compared to 3 in the UK and that's just one example )
A quick look at the length of their academic year might also go somewhere to explain as to why it takes them such a long time.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

However depending on your qualifications you can 'convert' them so they are recognised here....
I don't think the british accent has any barrier, if anything it helps getting some jobs... obviously I mean, entry level.

Volunteering is good way to show your committed and it looks good
From my own experience once I got one job here and had that on my resume, with a CANADIAN Reference... that helped me secure jobs going forward
Would you say that Canadians write at a higher standard in English than immigrants from the UK? Are they, for example, better at structuring sentences and avoiding fashionable but meaningless constructs?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Degrees aren't 3 years 'in the UK'. Degrees in the second largest country in the UK last 4 years. For the sake of accuracy. Just saying.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdizzle
Degrees aren't 3 years 'in the UK'. Degrees in the second largest country in the UK last 4 years. For the sake of accuracy. Just saying.
All of them?

This link suggests not:Dundee University English LL.B.

Just saying.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:49 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

My office has 11 different nationalities. Unless you are applying for redneck hunting or fishing jobs I can't see there being a problem.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
All of them?

This link suggests not:Dundee University English LL.B.

Just saying.
The vast majority. You could also point out that many Engineering degrees last 5 years. The point is that it's irritating when people think that the UK = England. It doesn't. It happens a ridiculous amount in Canada as well. It's just lazy ignorance and although petty, it does begin to grate after a while.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
My office has 11 different nationalities. Unless you are applying for redneck hunting or fishing jobs I can't see there being a problem.
In my experience there isn't. If a job requires a degree you either have one or you don't. I have never been asked where I got my degree in connection with work. They just want to see the certificate.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:52 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In my experience there isn't. If a job requires a degree you either have one or you don't. I have never been asked where I got my degree in connection with work. They just want to see the certificate.

Degrees lengths in the UK vary throughout.

Engineering Masters in Scotland in 5 but in England 4....

Some nursing degrees are longer in different universities.

My friends took 6 years to get his degree in Medicine and the other took 5.

Your CV shouldn't be based on your degree it should be based on experience with a couple of lines highlighting yes I got a masters in this or a bachelors in this.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority. You could also point out that many Engineering degrees last 5 years.

I could also point out that there are 2 year LL.B. degrees, even in Scotland.

The point is that it's irritating when people think that the UK = England. It doesn't. It happens a ridiculous amount in Canada as well. It's just lazy ignorance and although petty, it does begin to grate after a while.
I don't know of anyone that believes the UK - England. I know of many Scots that get hung up on the difference but I simply assumed that that was a cultural thing.

I suggest that, in most matters, it really matters not a jot whether one is referring to England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Most things in most of those countries are done in a very similar fashion, or at least, as similar as they would be done in, say, Newcastle, when compared to Truro.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:25 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

So I didn't intend any Offence regarding my post regarding education... Of course I know that not all degree's are 3 years in UK.
I mentioned Nursing as My fiance' studied for 4 years and I am aware that her responsibilities of a nurse here are far more than the UK hence why the pay is better.

In my opinion it seems that gaining a Degree in Canada ( Ontario ) is shown to be more important than back in the Uk.

P.s The Uk isn't just England!! And there are Universities in Scotland and yes, Even Wales....

Last edited by snuggs; Oct 10th 2013 at 5:37 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I didn't intend any Offence regarding my post regarding education... Of course I know that not all degree's are 3 years in UK.
I mentioned Nursing as My fiance' studied for 4 years and I am aware that her responsibilities of a nurse here are far more than the UK hence why the pay is better.

In my opinion it seems that gaining a Degree in Canada ( Ontario ) is shown to be more important than back in the Uk.

P.s The Uk isn't just England!! And there are Universities in Scotland and yes, Even Wales....
I am struggling to understand the point intended to make by your middle paragraph.

Which country's university did you attend?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:44 pm
Weegie in Calgary

And Northen Ireland

Just this morning a guy at work (Indian) said to me (Scottish) lets reenact Braveheart and fight back against the British.... FAIL
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:51 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am struggling to understand the point intended to make by your middle paragraph.

Which country's university did you attend?
I went to Cardiff University...

P.s And of course N.I

Everyone mentions Braveheart to me I say.... that's not how things really went down...

Last edited by snuggs; Oct 10th 2013 at 5:54 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The length of one's degree is important because, and I suppose only because, NAFTA stipulates that people who have four year degrees can hop across the border for work.

I was on my way to the US to do a job when I was asked by an officer who plainly knew something of the UK "do you have one of those short, three year degrees?". "No" I said, honestly, and he waved me on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.