Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Discount on NEW home if not using a Realtor

Discount on NEW home if not using a Realtor

Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Discount on NEW home if not using a Realtor

Hi - has anyone negotiated a decent discount on a new home if not using a Realtor?

Way I see it is that for new build why use a realtor, why not pocket the money yourself in upgrades,money off or accessories?

Thanks,

Stuart.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discount on NEW home if not using a Realtor

No.

If the developer is using a broker then their broker will just pocket the commission that would have gone to your realtor. And remember, they are working for the developer.

TBH if you are new to the country, don't understand Canadian law or home buying practice and try to deal directly with a developer you'll get eaten alive.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
Hi - has anyone negotiated a decent discount on a new home if not using a Realtor?

Way I see it is that for new build why use a realtor, why not pocket the money yourself in upgrades,money off or accessories?

Thanks,

Stuart.
It's highly unlikely you can negotiate a discount on a new build unless perhaps it's on of the last few unsold in the development. Generally speaking you would not engage a realtor in the purchase of a new build. Who would pay the realtor? It would have to be you because the builder certainly wouldn't.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In BC spec builders often use realtors to sell their homes.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It's highly unlikely you can negotiate a discount on a new build unless perhaps it's on of the last few unsold in the development. Generally speaking you would not engage a realtor in the purchase of a new build. Who would pay the realtor? It would have to be you because the builder certainly wouldn't.
This is part of a reply I've had from one of the sales staff:

Realtor-no you don't need a realtor. We have to factor in when paying a realtor. All of our homes have dropped $20,000 already so we can look at pricing for sure when you choose a home with us.

So it would appear there maybe some movement (this is in Calgary)....
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

[COLOR="Red"]Realtor-no you don't need a realtor ...

ā€˜Will you walk into my parlour?ā€™ said the spider to the fly,
ā€˜ā€‰ā€™Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy,
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And Iā€™ve got many curious things to show when you are there.ā€™
ā€˜Oh, no, no,ā€™ said the little fly, ā€˜to ask me is in vain,
For whoever goes up your winding stair can neā€™er come down again.ā€™
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

I represent lots of people who buy new builds and many of the builders in Calgary are part of the Realtor / Builder Partnership Program. If the builder is part of this program, they agree to a code of conduct which states there can only be one price for a home.

Here is the linkCODE OF CONDUCT(between Builders and REALTORSĀ®)

Of the Builders and REALTORSĀ® that subscribe to this program, so it must be
that they adhere to the Code of Conduct.
Registration Process
1. Upon initial contact in the Builderā€™s show home, the REALTORĀ® must accompany the prospective purchaser and provide the Builderā€™s representative with a signed and completed ā€œBUILDER/REALTORĀ® Registration Formā€. (A copy must be provided to each party).
2. Both REALTORSĀ® and Builders will have access to the blank BUILDER/REALTORĀ® Registration Forms that must be filled out in its entirety and signed by the REALTORĀ® and Builder representative to be valid.
3. All terms and commissions specific to the Builder must be detailed on the
Registration Form.
4. The signed Registration Form will protect the REALTORSĀ® fee in this community or project only. Should the prospective purchaser wish to buy in another subdivision, the above process must be repeated.
5. Registration will be valid from the date on the Registration Form, to the date specified in the ā€œExpiry Date of Registrationā€ area, which is mutually agreed upon by the Builder and the REALTORĀ®.
6. If the Builder or any of the Builderā€™s representatives had any previous discussions with the prospective client/purchaser, they reserve the right not to sign the register.
Sales Process
The Builder agrees, by adhering to the Code of Conduct, that there can only be one price for the home, whether sold in-house or by a participating REALTORĀ®.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
I represent lots of people who buy new builds and many of the builders in Calgary are part of the Realtor / Builder Partnership Program. If the builder is part of this program, they agree to a code of conduct which states there can only be one price for a home.

Here is the linkCODE OF CONDUCT(between Builders and REALTORSĀ®)

Of the Builders and REALTORSĀ® that subscribe to this program, so it must be
that they adhere to the Code of Conduct.
Registration Process
1. Upon initial contact in the Builderā€™s show home, the REALTORĀ® must accompany the prospective purchaser and provide the Builderā€™s representative with a signed and completed ā€œBUILDER/REALTORĀ® Registration Formā€. (A copy must be provided to each party).
2. Both REALTORSĀ® and Builders will have access to the blank BUILDER/REALTORĀ® Registration Forms that must be filled out in its entirety and signed by the REALTORĀ® and Builder representative to be valid.
3. All terms and commissions specific to the Builder must be detailed on the
Registration Form.
4. The signed Registration Form will protect the REALTORSĀ® fee in this community or project only. Should the prospective purchaser wish to buy in another subdivision, the above process must be repeated.
5. Registration will be valid from the date on the Registration Form, to the date specified in the ā€œExpiry Date of Registrationā€ area, which is mutually agreed upon by the Builder and the REALTORĀ®.
6. If the Builder or any of the Builderā€™s representatives had any previous discussions with the prospective client/purchaser, they reserve the right not to sign the register.
Sales Process
The Builder agrees, by adhering to the Code of Conduct, that there can only be one price for the home, whether sold in-house or by a participating REALTORĀ®.
Hi Sam - I take it your a Realtor?

So what is this COC actually saying, that if a Realtor shows a 'prospective' buyer the home then the agreement is signed and the Realtor gets their cut (that makes sense to me)?

What if a buyer goes into a Showhome without a Realtor, and proceeds to purchase the home, to my way of thinking the sales staff wouldn't give a stuff if a Realtor was used or not?

I don't understand the 'there can only be one price for the home'?

Thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

So what is this COC actually saying, that if a Realtor shows a 'prospective' buyer the home then the agreement is signed and the Realtor gets their cut (that makes sense to me)?

What if a buyer goes into a Showhome without a Realtor, and proceeds to purchase the home, to my way of thinking the sales staff wouldn't give a stuff if a Realtor was used or not?

Thanks.
Also what value / benefit does a Realtor offer for a new home purchase, I assume you still need a solicitor for the legal stuff?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just understand the process.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

Also what value / benefit does a Realtor offer for a new home purchase, I assume you still need a solicitor for the legal stuff?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just understand the process.

Thanks.
The lawyer registers the title. The realtor negotiates the contract on your behalf. If you don't have a realtor working with you you will be presented with a contract prepared by the developer's lawyers. You can be sure that will be heavily weighted in the developer's favour.

If you are dealing directly with the developer's sales team you are dealing with highly trained negotiators who are intent on extracting the maximum amount of dollars from you for the least cost to them. You may be an expert negotiator yourself but if you don't understand the environment in which you are negotiating you have no hope of getting the best deal possible.

I honestly think I am giving you sincere and genuine advice here. It is foolish to go into such a big transaction at such a huge disadvantage of not understanding the system and not having an expert to represent you.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Thanks.
You aren't picking a fight

With regards to "there can only be one price" Builders who are part of the program have agreed that the price of the home will be no different if you use a Realtor or not.

If a Buyer goes into a show home without a Realtor you are right, they don't give a stuff (not about the buyer anyway)

The benefits of using a Realtor for a new build are exactly the same as using a Realtor for the purchase of a re-sale property. If it costs you nothing to be represented by a Realtor, why would you not want to be represented. Remember builders often can't sell new builds and end up listing the homes on the MLS with a Realtor. The reason many new builds do not sell is they are overpriced and I will tell you if the property is overpriced (the builder won't) I also spend a lot of time discussing re-sale value, location, which up-grades you need, good and bad builders, the list is endless.

Additionally you are protected when you work with a REALTOR for a number of reasons:

* REALTORS must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice; your guarantee of professional conduct and service excellence. Builders agents are not Realtors and they are working for the builder not you.

* All REALTORS carry errors and omissions insurance; If we get it wrong (I haven't yet) you can make a claim against us.

* The Real Estate Assurance Fund is available to you in the rare event of fraud, or breach of trust by a REALTORĀ®. It is your protection against financial loss. Yes there are some bent Realtors

* A licensed brokerage supervises the business conduct of all REALTORS to ensure their compliance with Alberta law.

JonboyE has given some very sound advice here and at the end of the day the decision to use a Realtor or not is with the buyer. If you have found a builder who will genuinely do a better deal if you don't use a Realtor you have a decision to make.

Another topic that generates much discussion is most builders like you to use their own lawyer and the builder will not recommend an independent home inspection before you take possession.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If realtors acting for purchasers really represented their client's best interests there is no way that they would ever advise them to signs contracts that favour the vendor as they do.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:04 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that this doesnt add up.

Rather than see anything up to 5% of the cost of the home go to a realtor, I'd rather pay a lawyer a fee of "x" to go over the contracts.
In terms of knowing the market price for a property, it doesnt really take long to gain an understanding if something is overpriced or not.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:06 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
You aren't picking a fight

With regards to "there can only be one price" Builders who are part of the program have agreed that the price of the home will be no different if you use a Realtor or not.

If a Buyer goes into a show home without a Realtor you are right, they don't give a stuff (not about the buyer anyway)

The benefits of using a Realtor for a new build are exactly the same as using a Realtor for the purchase of a re-sale property. If it costs you nothing to be represented by a Realtor, why would you not want to be represented. Remember builders often can't sell new builds and end up listing the homes on the MLS with a Realtor. The reason many new builds do not sell is they are overpriced and I will tell you if the property is overpriced (the builder won't) I also spend a lot of time discussing re-sale value, location, which up-grades you need, good and bad builders, the list is endless.

Additionally you are protected when you work with a REALTOR for a number of reasons:

* REALTORS must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice; your guarantee of professional conduct and service excellence. Builders agents are not Realtors and they are working for the builder not you.

* All REALTORS carry errors and omissions insurance; If we get it wrong (I haven't yet) you can make a claim against us.

* The Real Estate Assurance Fund is available to you in the rare event of fraud, or breach of trust by a REALTORĀ®. It is your protection against financial loss. Yes there are some bent Realtors

* A licensed brokerage supervises the business conduct of all REALTORS to ensure their compliance with Alberta law.

JonboyE has given some very sound advice here and at the end of the day the decision to use a Realtor or not is with the buyer. If you have found a builder who will genuinely do a better deal if you don't use a Realtor you have a decision to make.

Another topic that generates much discussion is most builders like you to use their own lawyer and the builder will not recommend an independent home inspection before you take possession.
So, you claim to represent the buyer, yet you are paid by...... the seller.
Did someone say Code of Conduct?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't think it would be long before the anti - realtor brigade turned up. Whenever a Realtor is mentioned on this forum the same old people say the same old thing. It amuses me that certain people have such a strong opinion of what I do and how I operate my business yet fortunately we have never met.

Contrary to the belief of some, I do actually really care about the people I work with and I do get enormous satisfaction from helping people buy and sell a home. I really enjoy making new friends and I enjoy spending many hours helping people who move to Canada and I like being involved in their excitement.

I did not invent the Canadian Real Estate system and I did not invent the forms we use. What I always do is represent my clients to the very best of my ability and their needs will always come way before my pay cheque. I agree the system is not perfect but what system is ? I guess it was in my blood to have two careers that some people just don't like, Police Officer and Realtor. But like any job there are good and bad people in both.

I moved to Canada with my family and we did not know anybody, Real Estate has given me the opportunity to meet and stay friends with some of the most amazing people you could ever wish to meet and I am proud to be Realtor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.