Dilemma

Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dilemma

Guy's I need help

My goal when I got work was to work part time so I had mor time with my family. I gained a job where I work 9-2 4 week days a week and the last sunday of the month. Low pay - but the hours are pretty good.

During the summer my immediate boss had a family crisis and ended up being away from work for 6 weeks, I stepped upto the post and did her job to the best of my abilities with VERY LITTLE training in the HR side of the job. I worked longer hours for the same money and was super stressed out, by the end of the six weeks I handed in my resignation - I absolutely dreaded going into work, I had a week booked off and told them I would not return.

They talked me into going back - the people I work with are lovely - it's like a big family.

My boss after promising not too, dropped the bombshell - she has been headhunted and is leaving a week on wednesday :scared: She thinks I should apply for her job.

I see my options as:
Apply for her job - no guarantee i'll get it.
Leave
Stay in my job and then do her job whilst they find someone to replace her (HAHAHAHA) and then train my new boss up to do the job.

My job - 9-2 4 days a week and occasional sundays - NO STRESS.
Her job 8-4 4 days a week and she goes in every 2nd sunday she doesn't reckon she needs to do this but just does to check up that everyone else has done their bit before payroll - why would things change if I got the job? OH and she has bags of stress.

I know no one can tell me what to do - just some views will help thanks you lot - big kiss!
Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:53 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dilemma

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Guy's I need help

My goal when I got work was to work part time so I had mor time with my family. I gained a job where I work 9-2 4 week days a week and the last sunday of the month. Low pay - but the hours are pretty good.

During the summer my immediate boss had a family crisis and ended up being away from work for 6 weeks, I stepped upto the post and did her job to the best of my abilities with VERY LITTLE training in the HR side of the job. I worked longer hours for the same money and was super stressed out, by the end of the six weeks I handed in my resignation - I absolutely dreaded going into work, I had a week booked off and told them I would not return.

They talked me into going back - the people I work with are lovely - it's like a big family.

My boss after promising not too, dropped the bombshell - she has been headhunted and is leaving a week on wednesday :scared: She thinks I should apply for her job.

I see my options as:
Leave
Stay in my job and then do her job whilst they find someone to replace her (HAHAHAHA) and then train my new boss up to do the job.

Her job 8-4 4 days a week and she goes in every 2nd sunday she doesn't reckon she needs to do this but just does to check up that everyone else has done their bit before payroll - why would things change if I got the job? OH and she has bags of stress.

I know no one can tell me what to do - just some views will help thanks you lot - big kiss!

If you're clear that you don't want the promotion then go see your boss, and/or her boss and tell them that you don't want to end up in the same situation as when she'd left the last time. Expect them to have a plan in place etc. Do be positive about this though - you will help out but you'll keep to your working hours etc...

They know that you're capable of resigning so you have a lot of barginning power here.

You also have to expect to train your new boss - what's the problem with that? You don't want the job, you don't want the stress - your new boss will be paid to take that stress, you're not.

Is there anyone on this forum who would be suitable for your current boss' job?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
If you're clear that you don't want the promotion then go see your boss, and/or her boss and tell them that you don't want to end up in the same situation as when she'd left the last time. Expect them to have a plan in place etc. Do be positive about this though - you will help out but you'll keep to your working hours etc...

They know that you're capable of resigning so you have a lot of barginning power here.

You also have to expect to train your new boss - what's the problem with that? You don't want the job, you don't want the stress - your new boss will be paid to take that stress, you're not.

Is there anyone on this forum who would be suitable for your current boss' job?

There probably is lots of people on the forum that will be suitable for my bosses job - won't be on any lists as a skilled worker or PNP or anything and they won't touch any immigration stuff. If anyone out there in RED DEER would like more info on this job PM me!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:09 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

There probably is lots of people on the forum that will be suitable for my bosses job - won't be on any lists as a skilled worker or PNP or anything and they won't touch any immigration stuff. If anyone out there in RED DEER would like more info on this job PM me!

Sounds as if your mind is made up .. but if you're happy why bother with the extra stress?

On the other hand (sorry, always good to have some balance!) if you questioned your decision are you truly happy doing what you are doing?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Hi Piff Poff

I was up until June this year a senior officer at a local authority. I wasn't overly happy with the stresses of this job. I regularily came home thinking about work and lying in bed at night thinking what I would do with my pieces of work. I wasn't overly happy but enjoyed the seniority of the position. A job at work became available which would have given a more rounded experience but would have been a drop in seniority and pay but much less stress. One added advantage of the position was that it made my resume my look much better but was risky due to the step back.

Well I went for the less stressful job and now I am much happier and can leave work at work when I leave at the end of the day.

You need to decide which would make you happier and go for it.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Dilemma

Guy's I need help

I see my options as:
Leave

a question only a woman can ask LOOL
TAKE the job, ask for higher pay and become a BOSS stress is everywhere...you can do it!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:19 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdoc
a question only a woman can ask LOOL
TAKE the job, ask for higher pay and become a BOSS stress is everywhere...you can do it!
Before I start giving you my opinion I will tell you why her job is so stressful - very often people are employed part-time and expected to do all the work of a full-time person This happens time and time again in the UK, especially in an office environment.

Re stress - I'm afraid I disagree - who needs it, especially if it impacts on your family life. Unless you have a cleaner, cook and personal shopper at home already of course, cos once your stressful job is finished (and still on your mind) you have all the home chores to do on top of that and see to the kids. I for one would become pretty narky and it wouldn't be fair on any of us.

This is only my personal opinion. I work part-time in a fast-paced environment but can leave it at the door at the end of the day. My husband works offshore so I am both mum and dad to our 2 kids when he is away. When the kids were younger it was pretty stressful for me but now they are getting older I appreciate more 'me' time and I feel it makes me a better person.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:10 pm

Hi everybody,

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided NOT to go for the job, I know I will have to fill in as I did over the summer (That was only soooo stressful because I hadn't been trained up - 30 hours a week for someone who knows what they are doing is plenty for this particular job)and I know I will have to train the new HR manager. At the end of the day if that was the sort of job I wanted I would have looked for it in the 1st place. I am happy doing my 'little' job. I left my 'career' behind in England, I also left the stress and the minimal family time and the messy house. I like family time and a tidy house and having time to do the shopping and stuff in the week so it doesn't interfere with our weekends. Money and title I have decided is not everything. Thanks again all I appreciate your input
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:14 pm
Cowtown

I have decided NOT to go for the job
Way to go Piff Poff!!!

Nice to see an expat taking control of life

Last edited by Cowtown; Oct 1st 2006 at 11:15 pm. Reason: I karnt spel

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Way to go Piff Poff!!!

Nice to see an expat taking control of life
Thanks for that vote of confidence, I have just spent the day being cajoled into applying for the job - I'm sticking to my guns though and saying 'I don't want to thank you!' I know I'll end up doing it for a bit, but i'm okay with that, as long as it's just for a bit though