Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

What I experienced in my short stay in Quebec (mostly Montreal) was that they want you to try to speak French. When I used my high-school French and it wasn't enough they would often relent and speak English (when they could) with no hard feelings. They don't come here and assume everyone is going to speak French so it seems fair that Anglos make an effort to speak their language when in Quebec.
Edit: iirc I dropped French after grade 9 or 10 because I was failing anyway so 'high-school French' is incorrect. It was taught from grade 7 on, I think. And so we were introduced to French, sex education, and puberty all at the same time.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 4th 2014 at 1:58 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:58 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What I experienced in my short stay in Quebec (mostly Montreal) was that they want you to try to speak French. When I used my high-school French and it wasn't enough they would often relent and speak English (when they could) with no hard feelings. They don't come here and assume everyone is going to speak French so it seems fair that Anglos make an effort to speak their language when in Quebec.
The correct word here is "appreciate".

The francos very much like it when you speak French, even if you cock it up badly. It's the effort that counts. They will switch to English if they know that their English is better than your French. I had a guy the other day switch to English mid-conversation.

<disclaimer: My opinion is based solely on the fact that I live in QC, am married to a franco woman and have been around French Canadians for the last 18 years. Other posters on here may well be far more informed on the subject than I am.>
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:35 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of
Post Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by MillieF
That is interesting to me....I moved here 'specifically' because it's 'bi-lingual New Brunswick' and whilst it's not as French ad I'd like, it is at least French in many respects. Our son, born and bred in France, who is now 13 is doing well, has learned to speak 'English other than with my mother' and is flourishing.

Where are you? I am assuming? That you have never been to Quebec?

I work in engineering and have to phone Montreal lots...if I start off in French (I lived there for a long Time so it's not bad) I get on well...if you can't speak it, it's easy to put them down...but if you can't speak it they will put you down faster....quite correctly
So, your son was born in France and speaks the version of French from the original Country of the language. You say he has learned to speak English but not with your Mother! Is she not English speaking? Didn't your Son learn English automatically from yourself? Well, I know a person who teaches French in a High School in Windsor (I live in Belle River) just outside of Windsor Ontario. Well, this person went to France for a holiday and thought Great I will speak French. Well, the people of France were speaking to this person in English as they could not understand the version of French she was speaking!! No, I have never been to Quebec and I have no desire to either.Let's face it the British have never liked the French and vice-versa. Look at the protests when our Royals visit Canada from the "French" contingency it's atrocious. I would never give up my British Citizenship for the world. I go Home at least twice a year and to sit on that airline for 7hrs listening to everything repeated in French drives me crazy. For goodness sake 99% of the people speak English anyway so what's with that? If you like French so much Why not move to France and have done with it?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
So, your son was born in France and speaks the version of French from the original Country of the language. You say he has learned to speak English but not with your Mother! Is she not English speaking? Didn't your Son learn English automatically from yourself? Well, I know a person who teaches French in a High School in Windsor (I live in Belle River) just outside of Windsor Ontario. Well, this person went to France for a holiday and thought Great I will speak French. Well, the people of France were speaking to this person in English as they could not understand the version of French she was speaking!! No, I have never been to Quebec and I have no desire to either.Let's face it the British have never liked the French and vice-versa. Look at the protests when our Royals visit Canada from the "French" contingency it's atrocious. I would never give up my British Citizenship for the world. I go Home at least twice a year and to sit on that airline for 7hrs listening to everything repeated in French drives me crazy. For goodness sake 99% of the people speak English anyway so what's with that? If you like French so much Why not move to France and have done with it?
That's the spirit!! By Jove, that post got my blood up! Let's go and find some Froggies to put to the sword! Huzzah!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you're already in Windsor, why not fly home from Detroit on an American airline? Then y'all be franco-free.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I can only assume that you are one or more of the following:

a) monumentally stupid
b) a UKIP founder
c) a troll
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that the French for "troll" is "troll"?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:01 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Le or la?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:20 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, and I am not particularly interested. If people who Post statements on this site are not prepared to read remarks which are unfavourable to them then don't bother! As for your remarks in "that" language I'm afraid it fell on "not deaf ears" but "blind eyes". This site I thought is for peoples' opinions.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

No, and I am not particularly interested. If people who Post statements on this site are not prepared to read remarks which are unfavourable to them then don't bother! As for your remarks in "that" language I'm afraid it fell on "not deaf ears" but "blind eyes". This site I thought is for peoples' opinions.
Oooooooh! We have another keeper! Let le sport begin!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Just how bilingual is NB really? I've never been there but I've got the impression that the bilingualism is "official" rather than everyone being fluent in both languages.
It's not really bi-lingual at all Souvy. There are areas that are mostly French, like Dieppe, near Moncton, and lots of the Arcadian peninsula and then areas that are totally English. I know several companies in Fredericton that speak mostly French, but they are few and far between. They 'teach' proper French in my son's French school, but in the playground the kids speak mostly English I believe or some dreadful mixture, which my son says is 'langue populaire'!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Oooooooh! We have another keeper! Let le sport begin!
You people want challenges? Then you got it.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

If you like French so much Why not move to France and have done with it?
Yes, the thought of Nice is often nice, especially in January.

I realised that we have been amiss Porthcawl, nobody wished you "Welcome to British Expats" - so here goes! Delightful to have you in our friendly forum
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Since you're already in Windsor, why not fly home from Detroit on an American airline? Then y'all be franco-free.
Don't tempt me! How pleasurable that would be, but alas my flights are cheaper so I guess I'll just have to stock up on Ear Plugs!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, the thought of Nice is often nice, especially in January.

I realised that we have been amiss Porthcawl, nobody wished you "Welcome to British Expats" - so here goes! Delightful to have you in our friendly forum

Well Thank You Millie F. How much do you miss Home? or not.! Nice to know somebody hasn't forgotten there British etiquette!

Last edited by Porthcawl; Jul 4th 2014 at 5:09 pm. Reason: Just wanted to add something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.